What's the verdict on Windows 7?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I have Win 7 Pro on a 3 yr old Dell Lattitude with 2GB RAM. No slowdowns. However, when replying in Outlook or editing an existing document in Word, the typed characters will suddenly start appearing further down the email thread or document. Never had this problem on the same machine when it was running XP. It;s damn irritating. I also don't like the file explorer in Win 7. Over all, things seem more cumbersome in Win 7 & Office 2007. Maybe I'm getting cranky in old age and refusing to learn new things.

I too see that on a 3 yr old Dell Inspiron 6400. My current thinking is that it's a trackpad issue. The trackpad seems to be more sensitive with the default Windows 7 drivers. Just having my wrist pressing on the palm rest immediately to the side seems to make the cursor jump.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I would look to VMWare server. I run Acronis on my machines without issue.

I have run vmware server and currently run Virtualbox with no issues. I also have MS essentials running on the host and VIpre running in VMs. All with no issues on top of 7 Business.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
The default view for huge icons and text is annoying but easily fixed. Right click desktop and click personalize. On the left select display and change it from the default 125% to 100%. Text size is on the left but should be 100% after changing the display.

Even better:

click the desktop and ctrl+mouse wheel!

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I have noticed a few pauses and strange activity on Win7 using my laptop (StudioXPS 1640). These are not present on my Desktop (Inspiron 580). I found out they were due to Microsoft Security Essentials (AV software) doing updates, or Microsoft Updates installing in the background.

Avast 5 is installed on the desktop, which seems much lighter weight than MS SE, and I have now set both PCs to notify me when updates are available vs installing on their own.

Some people have recommended disabling services to gain performance. However, I have left all Windows services, including the indexing (Microsoft search service), superfetch, defender, etc enabled, as these have never seemed to cause problems for me.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Looks real good - especially the Explorer and Copy improvements. I'll try it when I move to Win 7 - circa October.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
However, I have left all Windows services, including the indexing (Microsoft search service), superfetch, defender, etc enabled, as these have never seemed to cause problems for me.
I leave indexing enabled, but I tweak it to only index the folders where my useful data is. Otherwise, it will index everything in the \users folders, including temporary files.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Somehow the comment to install one version over the other, because the uninstaller
might/will corrupt your registry doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies...

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I leave indexing enabled, but I tweak it to only index the folders where my useful data is. Otherwise, it will index everything in the \users folders, including temporary files.
Does Everything not work on Win7?

Stereodude

Not really a
Someone fraudulently charged a Technet sub to my credit card. Maybe they were trying to get Office 2010. :p

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Unlike Office 2007, it has a File menu. Office is basically the same program it was in 1994 as far as I'm concerned. They just keep moving the buttons and options.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Unlike Office 2007, it has a File menu. Office is basically the same program it was in 1994 as far as I'm concerned. They just keep moving the buttons and options.

Sure. Office and OpenOffice are also overkill for 90% of people.

In Word 2007 the new Review ribbon is very convenient for more complicated editing, and PowerPoint/Excel 2007 lets me do more editing of charts that are within PowerPoint which is very convenient for making scientific posters.

EndNote doesn't support Office 2010 yet, which means I won't upgrade until they do.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'll have to give that a try. 2003 still requires activation, right?
Still using 2000 office on a couple machines...

GS

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Yes, though you can start it maybe 50 times before activation.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
2003 was a significant improvement over 2000, particularly in terms of stability. I wouldn't suggest anyone keep using Office 2000.

Unfortunately, there are too many people creating documents in the incompatible Office 2007 format to keep using 2003 forever.

I agree with Mercutio and others, the usefulness of Office hasn't changed much in 15 years or more. At least the pricing is finally a bit more reasonable, particularly with the Home & Student 3-license edition. That's about how much I think it's worth, i.e. $50 per user.

I think I prefer 2010 to 2007. I haven't had any difficulty finding stuff so far - unlike 2007. Of course, I tend to prefer Notepad (or Notepad++ etc) to Office for most things.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I knew about the pack, but had assumed that it only allowed you to view 2007/2010 documents. Thanks for that, I think I'll now start channeling Stereodude:

They'll pry Office 2003 out of my cold dead hands.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Coming back to Win 7. What's this shit I just found out about OEM versions not for end-users / hobbyists? If you don't use the pre-installation kit, don't put it on a brand new PC, and don't sell the PC to an unknown person, you're in violation of the license terms. I ordered OEM Win 7 Pro barely 10 days ago. I paid for and never used that pos, Vista, purchased in 2007. MS is getting senile in their old age.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have the compatibility pack installed on my home PC. Also had it on my work laptop before it got upgraded to Win 7 Pro / Office 2007. Never experienced problems with either.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have the compatibility pack installed on my home PC. Also had it on my work laptop before it got upgraded to Win 7 Pro / Office 2007. Never experienced problems with either.

I've installed it dozens of times with no problems.