Where's everybody?

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been in and out all day. Having issues with the turn-up on a T-1 that is a couple hundred miles away, dealing with configuring a PIX firewall (PITA), and re-creating the mysteriously removed MX records from a domain on Network Solutions.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tell him we miss him and want him back. I've been away from home the last 4 months, living in a hotel, and don't have access to my email archives, or I'd email his personal email account. I also think I have his phone number in one of those emails.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
"Lonely, I'm so Lonely..."
A song from the '60s by Bobby Vinton. "Mr Lonely"

But it sure seems appropiate here today. :sad:

Bozo :joker:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Been playing Gran Turismo 5 : Prologue on the PS3. Now it's time to acquire the 2 million credits to get the F1 Ferrari.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm beating Test Drive: Unlimited again. The only objectives left to complete are to drive every road and to log 5,000 miles (yes, I've already done this once).

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been hooked on the BBC show "Grand Designs" for about 3 months now (I have all 8 seasons). Since we do want to build a house at some point; I've been busy designing stuff.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Installing software, rolling out updates, installing patches, and reading Dilbert.com :thumbleft:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Tell him we miss him and want him back. I've been away from home the last 4 months, living in a hotel, and don't have access to my email archives, or I'd email his personal email account. I also think I have his phone number in one of those emails.

We need to send a rescue mission to Indiana. :)

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'll put out some bait:

Western Digital is great!!! :thumbleft:

Western Digital is great!!! :thumbleft:

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
only two things could get Merc back here as bait. 1st one you can't get him :p.

2nd is good pizza.

Time to start the annual 'Pizza pledge drive for Merc' thread?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Where's Eric? He's not posted in a while.

I seem to have had, um, some "events" last evening / night. Got me thinking. Eric had asked about services that would send out emails if you didn't log on to their website for a while. There's probably nobody here that would particularly care to know if I got beamed up, but I'd certainly like to let some other folks know.

ddrueding

Fixture
That is something that I've been thinking of as well. Olga's been trying to get me on an EKG for months.

It would be pretty simple to have a program on your computer that sent something if you didn't use it for 2-ish days, but how long would it be before someone turned off your computer? I have Gmail, which is tied into my google apps, if an app could check my mail to see how long since I checked it, and send some mails if it exceeded a threshold, that would be great.

Handruin

Administrator
Where's Eric? He's not posted in a while.

I seem to have had, um, some "events" last evening / night. Got me thinking. Eric had asked about services that would send out emails if you didn't log on to their website for a while. There's probably nobody here that would particularly care to know if I got beamed up, but I'd certainly like to let some other folks know.

Sorry to hear you had some problems mubs. Yes, I think people here would care if something happened to you. Let us know if you need anything.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It's been really slow here lately. Is everyone on vacation?

I've been watching Carrier on PBS the last 2 nights. It's worth checking out.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm begnning to think there is something wrong with the site. No activity all day! :sad:

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm busy getting ready for my Moscow trip next week. This is pretty much my last chance to prep for the trip, as I'm working pretty solid next week.

LunarMist

Indeed, where's everybody? Many of the regulars have been missing recently, not just Mercutio. :(

LunarMist

Heh, you are around plenty often. :) I suspect that will not change until the first child. Then see how much time there is for posting several times a day. :(

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I'm 11 time zones away, and my internet connection sucks. Sorry if I'm not around as often.

what time of day/night is it exactly?

I guess that means no real-time video from Russia via a lappy webcam then :( ?

It you're on dialup, then yes a sucky connection, anything faster is bliss in comparison.

So is that city 90% just like SF? (except for more vodka).

ddrueding

Fixture
This city is more like Beijing than SF, but riding the escalator down into the subway I saw the same bored/tired faces with headphones and briefcases.

The infrastructure sucks, law enforcement is lax, an there is a lot more smoking. So pretty much just like Beijing.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I was just reading about the Moscow Metro last night. It has the highest ridership in the world. Some of the stations look very interesting too. What did you think of it?

ddrueding

Fixture
It is the best I've ever been on. RFID-based tickets make getting on a snap. Trains run every line at 2 minute intervals 20 hours a day. The ride is rough, but very quick; it takes 10-30% as long as a car on most trips.

Combined with the very common practice of paying a private car to take you the last mile (hitch-hiking with incentive), it is enough for 90% of people in the area.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I would love to ride it and see the stations. I'd like to see any pictures you happen to take.

Chicago also has smart cards, the problem is that they aren't mandated. There are still old-style magnetic strip cards for sale and buses allow people to pay with cash. This really slows down boarding, especially on the buses. When they introduced the smart cards, they should have set an expiration date for magnetic cards and cash payments to force everyone to convert to the more efficient method. There are only a few rail stations that allow you to buy the smart cards from a vending machine. So, the vast majority of people have to order them by phone or online. This makes it hard to mandate them, especially for tourists or infrequent riders.