Where's everybody?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
..."It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents, except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness."...

perhaps?

:)

[Edit]

What is this storage?
The artist formerly known as Mercutio???

Mercutio??? Oh, you're looking for Mercutio.

Well, he took a leave of absence for the remainder of July to provide computer tech support for Team Michelob at the upcoming NASCAR Illinois 500.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
And where's Merc?

Merc's in his usual depression, but he'll be back with a flurry of posts when he's good and ready.

As for the rest of the world mubs...open you're friggin eyes! 6.6 billion and by the time you die, probably nearly double that, people are friggin everywhere. By 2050 California is expected to have a population of 60 million---mostly Hispanic!!!, 8.5 million Hispanics in LA, with 2.2 million (double current number, but of course not enough to satisfy me) Asians, and only a little over 1million white folk by 2050.

Merc is on a break; he'll be back. Tannin/Tea? Buck? Clocker? I don't know.

Has this been "verified" with Coug....hehe?

Thinking of something momentous to say for his 10,000th post perhaps? At least that's what I'd be doing in his shoes.

Ok, jtr; I kind of doubt the manic depressive (well mostly depressive, not manic like...you know ;) ) Merc really cares all that about 10k, anymore than say 5k, only that stepping into his mind (scary huh? ;) ), it kind of to him represents how lame his life is...to paraphase him, considering I'm currently emphasizing, or inhabiting, or walking a mile in his shoes...and since he hates to walk any distance more than to his car, I'd say I'm pretty lame at walking in his shoes, lol.

So here you go jtr, pretend you're Merc...post what you would post on your 10k, then we'll see that Merc's 10k will probably just be like any other on the computer forum.

If you're reading this Merc, this will pass too. Today (Wed) my mother goes into the hospital for a scheduled (actually she's been putting it off, and the docs in charge of her care have let it slip by) PET scan & CT scan. PET scan shows if any cancer cells from the mouth cancer she had treated in 2004, have metastisized to other parts of her body, which kind of means that if they did, and they weren't caught immediately it would be basically impossible to stop further spreading of the cancer, which means she'd be dying pretty soon (recall Clockers dreary news of people he knew who were dying on the Something Rand. thread). Things could be worse for you Merc...party you make your own destiny..partly I said. Get yourself some decent pizza even if you have to have it delivered from Chicago at huge expense...really not a huge expense compared to my hopefully once a year expenditures this prior weekend where I spent nearly $500 to drive to the SFBay Area, attend a free tasting of 145 Pinot Noirs @Fort Mason, and then having dinner at a 2-star restaurant in Los Gatos, before driving most of the night back to LA...fatiguing weekend.

Pure speculation on my part, either Merc is busy with some good pr0n, or something like a Phenomena has gotten his attention. Jeon Ji-Hyun, who's something of a phenomean in S. Korea, gets mine, lol....daaaAAAm!

(for some reason, I can get the IMG command to display an attached image as full size, and have had to resort to just using the image command to link display from my photobucket acct instead. Odd as I can just use the attached image thumbnail link to display the full size image on other vB forums???)
jeon-ji-hyun-1.jpg

[Edit]

What is this storage?
An amazing but little-known fact outside of Canada:

• Canadians drink a pint (or more) of maple syrup every day!

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Mercutio??? Oh, you're looking for Mercutio.

Well, he took a leave of absence for the remainder of July to provide computer tech support for Team Michelob at the upcoming NASCAR Illinois 500.

NAZCAR and beer, Oh. my. Are YOU selign out a BIT now? ;)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Pure speculation on my part, either Merc is busy with some good pr0n, or something like a Phenomena has gotten his attention. Jeon Ji-Hyun, who's something of a phenomean in S. Korea, gets mine, lol....daaaAAAm!

Wow, is that a music video? LOL... She's like an Asian Christina Aguilera / Britney Spears / Mariah Carey. Writhing around and hoing it up for the camera. Who needs pron there when they got anime and Jeon videos?

I wonder what the older generation must think about that video in Asia. They must be mortified. BTW, did she get permission from LL Cool J to butcher his song?

[Edit]

What is this storage?
Maybe it was the Michelob 500 -- shows you how much I know about NASCAR. For example, I recently discovered that I had Dale Earnhardt and Richard Petty mixed up, thinking Richard Petty was the one that met Jebus on a high-speed curve at Daytona. On to more informative things.

An amazing but little-known fact outside of the United States:
  • Nearly every American owns and religiously maintains an Uncle Milton's® Ant Farm!

antfarmP.gif

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Some are thinkijg about evacuating, who klnows waht to do. :( Take some docsuments, hardfrives and teh dogs.???

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Lost, I thought you were in the Las Vegas area. It's people in S. CA that are evacuating. The smoke is bad. There's dust and ash everywhere.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Essentially, I'm off the planet and not posting here at present (or anywhere else for that matter). I'm up to the eyeballs in a big PHP project and might not post much for a while.

So that's where I am .... where are you?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Essentially, I'm off the planet and not posting here at present (or anywhere else for that matter). I'm up to the eyeballs in a big PHP project and might not post much for a while.

So that's where I am .... where are you?

What's the project? Can we see?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Same old, same old, Tim: http://tannin.net.au If you visit there now you'll get a static site, all hand-coded HTML. I'm working on a complete replacement, retaining the look and feel, most of the content, and even (in the main) the same CSS and HTML code, but all delivered dynamically by a set of PHP scripts and a mysql database.

Disadvantages:
* having to write lots of code
* Not as easy to keep a local copy (short of installing Apache & mysql and PHP on my laptop, which I try to keep free for other tasks)

Advantages:
* Much easier to add and remove pages, and generally maintain
* Much more flexible - for examle, with the static site, generating an index in taxonomic order would take me roughly a week. With this version, if I wanted one, I could write the code to extract the data and present it on-screen in taxonomic order with appropriate links in less than five minutes.
* Allows a richer site with more different ways to look at things: right now I have (as before) thematic and chronological presentations (previously hand-coded and tedious to create, error prone, and difficult to maintain, now pretty much automatic) plus geographical and taxonomic presentations too. If I want more, with the groundwork done, it's not that difficult to add more.
* It's proving to be a very useful upgrade to my marketable skills.

As always with my sites, the resulting code is (or will soon be, in some cases) validated HTML 4.01 strict, 100% Javascript free, has a minimum of presentational markup, virtually no presentational graphics, and (allowing for the fact that the whole point of the site is to present some pretty large images) fast loading.

(I despise Javascript. I can't be bothered with XHTML - lots of extra coding pain for zero, repeat zero practical gain. PHP is very nice to work with, in the main, despite some frustrating gaps in the documentation here and there - in particular, the classic "thing X works just like the equivalent thing in C" - that's no bloody use at all to a Pascal/Modula-2 trained baby!)

You can't visit the new site just yet. I'm probably a few weeks away from having it all working to my satisfaction. But I'll let you know when I'm ready to start beta testing.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It sounds like you are coding a CMS from scratch? Why not use Joomla or Mambo or some other PHP MySQL CMS and modify it to fit your needs?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
OK, OK, it's Friday. Cut me a little slack, Hairy One.

Several reasons, Tim:

* Because I want a CMS that does what I tell it to, exactly what I tell it to, and nothing but what I tell it to.
* Because I like being able to actually understand how that damn thing works.
* Because I seem to spend half my life modifying MediaWiki and it's hard!
* Because it didn't actually occur to me to do it any other way.
* Because sites written using a CMS always look like sites written using a CMS.
* Because I wanted to improve my PHP & mysql skills, and staring a bit of code for hours trying to modify it to do what you want when you can't figure out how it actually works in the first place isn't teaching you a great deal.
* Because I already have the primary content and the CSS, so it seemed sensible to simply start with that and build from there.
* Because see reason 4.
* Just because.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
* Because sites written using a CMS always look like sites written using a CMS.

All of your reasons are valid, except for this one. I have modified Joomla templates drastically enough that there is no way to tell it is running on Joomla.

I do agree that trying to modify the code is a real pain. I have no idea what most of it does. Plus, modifying core files can make upgrading very painful.