Windows 7 nonsense

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What data? Can it affect other drives? I was thinking to delete all partitions on the G2 and use it, since that drive is expendable in case the Windows 7 destroys it. Can I install in the normal mode, without using the ACHI?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Just did an upgrade from Vista Basic to 7 Home Premium using one of my Family 3-pack licenses. Took about an hour to save the user settings, do the upgrade, and restore the settings.

The only thing it complained about was the ATI Catalyst drivers. It recommended uninstalling them so I did. Post-upgrade I installed the current drivers w/no problems.

32-bit OS, Q6600 w/2GB RAM, 80GB 5400RPM Fujitsu notebook HD, Radeon 3870, POS free-after-rebate motherboard.

LunarMist

The upgrades are so much cheaper than even the OEM. Are they trying to get consumers past Vista?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That, and they want to be able to say that the adoption rate is through the roof as a marketing/sales thing. It was X% better than Vista so buy our stock or suchlike.

Overall I'd say Vista was a huge black eye and they'd really like everyone to forget about it.

ddrueding

Fixture
What data? Can it affect other drives? I was thinking to delete all partitions on the G2 and use it, since that drive is expendable in case the Windows 7 destroys it. Can I install in the normal mode, without using the ACHI?

It can affect other drives in the same way that Vista could. It may decide to put a small partition on another drive if it feels that one is primary, and it may assign a drive letter other than C. I recommend disconnecting drives and memory card adapters during OS installs, just makes things easier.

If you are going to use the drive in ACHI mode, install with it enabled. You won't need any driver disks.

LunarMist

Bah. It does not boot anymore. Something on another drive and then Win 7 does not either. I'll wait until 2010 or 2011 to sort it out.

Handruin

Administrator
Windows 7 was one of the least painful installs and setups I've done. It just worked.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yeah, now win 2000 with those four boot disks was a pain in the ass, win7 is nothing compared to that.

You added another drive and it doesn't boot? The drive must have been plugged into a lower port number and took priority?

LunarMist

Sorry for not being coherent. ;) I understand the problem, but it is too painful to access and pull the computer. Maybe I'll feel better in January.

Mostly I just wanted to confirm which older applications work under Win 7. From what I saw briefly, I have no interest in using it until absolutely necessary.

LunarMist

Yeah, now win 2000 with those four boot disks was a pain in the ass, win7 is nothing compared to that.

You added another drive and it doesn't boot? The drive must have been plugged into a lower port number and took priority?

Win 7 decided that it should install a botoloader on my OS drive even though the installation was to a clean drive. So after removing the Win 7 drive, the normal OS is useless. Then after restoring the normal OS, Win 7 does not boot directly from its own drive, presumably because it is looking for the bootloader on the other drive that is no longer there. I can imagine that some people would mess up a system and be out of luck. Anyway it was only a little time lost.

ddrueding

Fixture
Win 7 decided that it should install a botoloader on my OS drive even though the installation was to a clean drive. So after removing the Win 7 drive, the normal OS is useless. Then after restoring the normal OS, Win 7 does not boot directly from its own drive, presumably because it is looking for the bootloader on the other drive that is no longer there. I can imagine that some people would mess up a system and be out of luck. Anyway it was only a little time lost.

As I suggested, remove all other drives before installing the OS. It should have also warned you about making changes to other drives during the install.

LunarMist

Yes I know you told me, but I thought it was worth a shot rather than pulling the tower out.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I don't get what the problem is, did it not detect the other OS and add an entry to the boot loader for it? The way you describe it you should have wound up with a dual boot system before removing drives.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Vista and 7 use a different boot loader than earlier versions of Windows. If it's screwed up it can be a total PITA to fix. Microsoft makes a poorly documented command line tool called bcdedit to do it, but by far the easiest way to put things back the way they were is to use EasyBCD.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
When Windows 7 and Vista install, they create a 100MB partition for the boot files. If you have multiple drives installed, it could end up on any one of them. In my system, the boot partition is on a different hard drive than the OS. Actually, they are on two different RAID cards.
If you make any OS changes or hard drive changes, there is a good chance you will hose your system.
And, the rescue disk will not fix the problem.

LunarMist

So if I install with only dfuirbvem, it won't bork the other drives, right?

ddrueding

Fixture
If I knew WTF dfuirvem was, I would be able to help you.

If you meant "just the one drive plugged in", then yes. It won't mess with the drives that aren't connected.

LunarMist

If you meant "just the one drive plugged in", then yes. It won't mess with the drives that aren't connected.

Yes, that is what I meant. I hope it doesn't mess up the other drives later on.

LunarMist

Maybe not. I think it was my choice during F12 at boot time, not saved in the BIOS.

ddrueding

Fixture
But I don't want an OS loader. :mad:

Neither do I. The best way to avoid messing with them is to make sure the hard drive you are installing to is the only one connected when you install the OS.

*To get technical, there is always an OS loader. But if the loader thinks it is the only OS on the system, it is silent.

ddrueding

Fixture
Managed to bring my entire main rig to a screeching halt for over a minute, repeatedly. All apps, all windows, even the windows button didn't work. The offense? Rendering thumbnails from a folder of jpgs that sat on a slow network connection (20MB/s).

It's this crap that makes me want XPx64 back.

LunarMist

I could not even get the Explorer to work the way I want in Win 7, but my XP 64 crashes too much.

Handruin

Administrator
Managed to bring my entire main rig to a screeching halt for over a minute, repeatedly. All apps, all windows, even the windows button didn't work. The offense? Rendering thumbnails from a folder of jpgs that sat on a slow network connection (20MB/s).

It's this crap that makes me want XPx64 back.

I want to see if I can get the same result. I know I've looked at lots of images over the network with thumbnail view, but I found that windows just draws the thumbnail whenever it can. I haven't had the machine come to a halt though. Roughly how many images were you viewing when it happened?

ddrueding

Fixture
The folder contained maybe 400 jpgs that were about 10MB each. I choose "large thumbnails" and started scrolling down through them. It was only generating them on demand; leaving the machine for an hour didn't have any more thumbnails than the screen I was looking at.

The cause was scrolling down through them until I was looking at a page with none generated at all. The green bar would start crawling across the address bar, but no additional thumbnails would appear. During this time the machine was unresponsive. After the bar finished, the thumbnails would appear.

Worth noting, the speed from the array might have been much slower. There was torrenting, audio streaming, and possibly a movie streaming off that array at the same time.