Windows 7 nonsense

Handruin

Administrator
The folder contained maybe 400 jpgs that were about 10MB each. I choose "large thumbnails" and started scrolling down through them. It was only generating them on demand; leaving the machine for an hour didn't have any more thumbnails than the screen I was looking at.

The cause was scrolling down through them until I was looking at a page with none generated at all. The green bar would start crawling across the address bar, but no additional thumbnails would appear. During this time the machine was unresponsive. After the bar finished, the thumbnails would appear.

Worth noting, the speed from the array might have been much slower. There was torrenting, audio streaming, and possibly a movie streaming off that array at the same time.

I don't have any jpgs that big. Most of mine are from 2-4 MB in size. I was able to open a folder of 423 using the large icon display and there was no issue from my laptop over wifi.

Next I tried a folder that has 230 pictures in it totaling 7.5GB of scanned images in both jpg and tiff and there was no issue using the large icon display. The green bar scrolls while it's loading. It took a while for some of the images due to their very large size (80-120 MB) but it worked ok. My system never froze up and was completely usable.

I didn't see an option for using thumbnails, is that hidden somewhere, or is it the same as extra large icons? If it's different, the extra large icons works well for me.

What screen resolution where you viewing these on when you had the issue? My guess is if you're using a much higher resolution, you can fit more image previews on the screen and maybe that's some difference between your system and mine.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Does anybody think my wife's computer (E7200, 2GB RAM, ATI HD 3450 graphics card) would have difficulty with Win7? Perhaps it could use some more RAM? I'm thinking of switching her over to Win7 for Christmas.

Handruin

Administrator
My Lenovo T500 (T9600 CPU) with 4GB works fine with similar graphics on WIn7 64-bit. Try it and see how it runs. Worst case, get 2GB more RAM for like $30-$40 tops.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Getting the identical RAM that's in it now (2x1 GB) will be $65. I'd like to know if the E7200 will be enough before I give her the new HD it will take and a flier for Win7 with the explanation that I'll install the new OS. I've been testing Win7 now for a few weeks and like it.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm probably not the right guy to ask, but I'd install it if it were my machine. Then again, I'm not as ultra-picky as everyone else.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The E7200 should be plenty. The RAM .. maybe go for another 2GB. It will probably be OK without if her needs are basic.

What OS are you coming from? If XP that will mean a full install so all apps and everything will need to be re-installed. Consider the free MS Windows Easy Transfer for saving/restoring her data, favorites, and app settings.

Stereodude

Not really a
Does anybody think my wife's computer (E7200, 2GB RAM, ATI HD 3450 graphics card) would have difficulty with Win7? Perhaps it could use some more RAM? I'm thinking of switching her over to Win7 for Christmas.
I would think that the video card might be the weak link. You can get something a lot more powerful for pretty cheap. But, you can certainly upgrade that later if needed.

Handruin

Administrator
I checked and my laptop has the ATI 3650, not the 3450. I don't know how close those two are in spec. For whatever it's worth, Win7 works perfectly fine with the 3650. I can even play some basic games just fine.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
She's coming from XP. I'll run the checker program but she uses most of what I use, which works fine in Win7. Even our multifunction Brother printer is Win7 certified.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture

I tried Win 7 on a new E7200 (@3.50GHz) system with 4GB, velociraptor and no video card. It seemed to be OK, excpet for messing up the hard drives. I would think that a modern video card would be better than G45.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
No, but I got to use the educational discount for both my wife and me so I think I paid $30 per license for home premium (upgrade).

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Found this one today...

If you set a static IPv4 address on a LAN adapter that has no gateway or DNS setting, then Win7 will revert that connection back to DHCP on next reboot. (confirmed by using ipconfig /all from the CLI). BUT if you look at the IPv4 properties, it will show the correct configured address.

eg.
VirtualBox Host-Only Network
IP: 192.168.56.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: <blank>
DNS: <blank>

This is typically found when using VMs to create a LAN between VM Guests and the Host PC/Server, but not giving the guests general internet access.

PS. Hope everyone had a good break (if you did manage one)?

LunarMist

Well, is it good enough not to need further service packs?

LunarMist

That sucks.:( It would be difficult for changing personal functions in that case.

Handruin

Administrator
I connect an old sony handy cam with a firewire connection to my laptop and it worked perfect. I couldn't get USB to work with that camera because of no driver support for vista but firewire worked like a charm.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I can't find a bluetooth adapter that works with Server 2008 64-bit. I've tried four now. It's pissing me off.

Mercutio

I've tried Motorola, Trendnet and a couple generic Broadcom models. The thing is, the Broadcom chip is supported in Win7 64-bit on a whole bunch of notebooks, but it doesn't install on Server 2008. I'm guessing it's something in the .INF but as much as I've screwed with it, I haven't gotten it to work.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Anybody having problems or more better yet solutions for FireWire devices not detected.

Only problem I've had, is with Firewire drives that are partitioned. Win7 will only see the first partition. (One drive I have is both FW and USB2, and on USB it will see/use both partitions, but on FW only the first).

SP1 reportedly has a bucket load of Bluetooth and Firewire fixes coming.

Handruin

Administrator
Actually I forgot I also have a seagate firewire external hard drive that I use on my desktop and that is working fine also. I only have a single partition though so I didn't have the issue you have.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Im having issues with a jvc hd100 camera, Seagate freeagent xtreme HD and a "Sony compatible" editing board. None of them are seen via FireWire.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm not using any software for my drive. I just plugged it in via firewire and Win7 recognized it. My drive is also a couple years older. It is an external 750GB drive that supports both USB 2 and firewire connections.

Mercutio

Figured out what's wrong with Bluetooth on Server 2008R2.
Server 2008 R2 flat-out doesn't support Bluetooth.

So that answers that.