Yay! I installed Fedora...now what?

Sol

Storage is cool
On my Kubuntu system I just have root mount the samba share to a directory under / which is owned by the user. Try using the GUI tool for mounting samba shares it does a pretty good job, and you can always check fstab and the sab config files to see what it did.

I recomend mplayer for playing video files. It's basically the same as VLC but it will allow you to set a cache which is handy since samba won't cache for you so you'll probably get some framyness with vlc.

ddrueding

Fixture
According to Adept, KMPlayer is installed, but I don't see it on the menu system?

What is the GUI tool for mounting Samba shares you speak of, and how do I get/work it?

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
ddrueding said:
According to Adept, KMPlayer is installed, but I don't see it on the menu system?

What is the GUI tool for mounting Samba shares you speak of, and how do I get/work it?

In my Debian install in KDE, I can go to Control Center > Internet and Network > Samba. Actually in Internet and Network there is a bunch of stuff that may be of interest.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm afraid their isn't a control center, in this one, but I did go into the system settings and play with "connections", "network settings", and "sharing". I was able to set a default username and password for windows shares, which is nice, but my mount still doesn't work.

I also went into "Disk and Filesystems" and it shows my fstab entry as "enabled"

Sol

Storage is cool
I think you should be able to play with the samba mount in the disks and filesystems area. You should be able to remove the fstab entry you have and add a new one by browsing to the share and selecting which user mounts it etc. I'll have a look tonight at how I did it.

Failing that check out the ubuntu wiki, it has detailed instructions on how to mount a samba share so if there is just a command or something your missing then it will probably help. Have you tried mounting the share as root just to see if that works?

As for MPlayer it won't be in a menu but if you right click a file you want to play you should be able to select open-with and choose Mplayer from the list. if your finding playback framey then you should manually edit the mplayer config file and set the cache, you can set it in the program but if you do it won't be persistant.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks for the feedback, I will try your suggestions in the morning. It's 12:30AM and I just got home from dancing. I am stoked, though, I got my 7-button mouse working in firefox! ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, the sun is quickly setting on my current attempts at Linux. It's really almost there! The only probems I'm having now are:

Network compatability issues
Incomplete UI (things still need to be done at the command line)
General system speed (bootup, app launch, everything really)
Quality of software (OO/Thunderbird really no match for Office 2003, no good media apps)
NO GOOD GAMES!!!!

It's been educational, and I really appreciate everyone's help. I'll probably still keep an enviroment on USB disk or something, but it's not up to snuff for my desktop. I will be making my way past this stuff again soon, it's almost there.

Sol

Storage is cool
I've generally found that all my network compatability problems in Linux have been configuration or hardware related (I've had a couple of dodgy network cards die on me recently which caused some problems).
Once I have everything set up properly and working I've had less trouble hooking my Windows and Linux boxes together than I just randomly get with two Windows boxes, and it seems to be noticably faster to transfer files, especially lots of small ones.

As far as the UI goes I know what your talking about. For me I'm happy to use the CLI and even prefer it sometimes since I have to learn a lot of the command s for work anyway, and it helps to use a CLI remotely since it's much faster. This issue is one that the Ubuntu team seem to be concentrating on pretty closely so with any luck the next couple of versions of Ubuntu should make some strides on this one.

You could probably speed up your startup by dumping some stuff your not using, get rid of CUPs if your not doing any printing, drop Apache if you don't need a web server. There are probably a lot of things that are starting up that you don't use... That's not to say finding them and making sure you don't need them won't be a bit of an effort, but it's all a learning experience...

If I didn't have to edit IBM templates which contain some of the worst use of tables I have ever seen in a word document then I probably wouldn't ever use MS office again... And I always thought that Outlook was a complete POS, well before I had thunderbird to save me from having to look at it. But I guess the world has room for differing opinions. I do miss having Zoom-player on my media box since I moved it to kubuntu but mplayer and vlc work just fine for me and the ability to do just about everything in mplayer with the keyboard should make eventually setting up my remote control a lot easier.

There are a lot of games distributed with K/Ubuntu, but most of them are either pretty old or puzzle/card type games. That said there are still a few games like UT2K4 and Quake3 that have been released with native Linux installers. Aditionally the Cedega project is making fairly impressive strides towards windows compatability for games and many windows games, even fairly recent ones, will run on Linux just fine.

In the end even if the above help you I doubt they'll change your mind but it's definately worth keeping an eye on the Ubuntu distros. I fully expect some of your issues to be resolved by the next major release...

ddrueding

Fixture
I'd like to keep my linux build and move it to my new computer. I got tired of messing with the little toaster that wished it could and build myself a better machine.

Old Spec:
Shuttle SK21-G1-SV-V1 (VIA K8M800)
AMD Sempron 3100+ Palermo 1600MHz HT Socket 754
Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
Travelstar 5K100 40GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Drive
ATI 9250 256MB AGP video card

New Spec:
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI (nForce4 SLI)
AMD A64 3800+ (single core)
2GB PC500 RAM
36GB Raptor
nVidia 6200TC

What will I have to do to move this install over? Can I simply clone the harddrive across with TrueImage?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
ddrueding said:
Can I simply clone the harddrive across with TrueImage?
You're kidding right? This is Linux were're talking about. In my experience, Linux works fine as long as you don't try to modify/add drivers and fancy programs. IMO, a system swap : forget it. Re-install from scratch and move your data with a USB memory stick or via network between both computers.

A typical Kubuntu installation takes half-an-hour, so it's not that big of a deal anyway.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's very probably easier to mount and copy over /home from the old machine to the new machine after you build it and install whatever.
If the graphics hardware was roughly the same, I don't think you'd have a problem (I've done Intel to Via and SiS to Via and Via to SiS swaps without trouble, but they all had ATI graphics cards), but I'm guessing you won't have the patience to deal with having to configure X from the command line.

ddrueding

Fixture
CougTek said:
You're kidding right? This is Linux were're talking about. In my experience, Linux works fine as long as you don't try to modify/add drivers and fancy programs. IMO, a system swap : forget it. Re-install from scratch and move your data with a USB memory stick or via network between both computers.

A typical Kubuntu installation takes half-an-hour, so it's not that big of a deal anyway.

Half an hour for the install, half an hour for the updates, half an hour for to add/remove apps, half an hour to update the UI and config apps, then trying to move my thunderbird config over. Not fun.

ddrueding

Fixture
Alright, the current experiment is over. Time to migrate my mail back from Thunderbird in Kubunto into Outlook in a PST in WinXP. I think I need help on this one. Apparently there's a hidden directory that contains my mail?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Hidden directories on Unixes start with a period. You can see them with:
Code:
ls -a

In your home directory there will be a lot of those .anapp directories containing user-related data. I don't have Thunderbird installed by I'll bet your mail is in a subdirectory under:
Code:
/home/myusername/.mozilla/thunderbird/mail
If you use IMAP the last directory will be ImapMail or some such. Thunderbird stores the mail in the mbox format broken up by folder. You should see a file with no extension for each mail folder you have in Thunderbird. Those are the files you need. Outlook should definitely understand the format (say Eudora if it doesn't let you specify mbox).

Hope that helps ;).

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I don't have Thunderbird installed by I'll bet your mail is in a subdirectory under:

/home/myusername/.mozilla/thunderbird/mail
No. Unlike Firefox, thunderbird doesn't get placed in ~/.mozilla

Instead, you will find it in:

/home/username/.thunderbird/Profiles/some_eight_character_alphanumeric.default/Mail

A user's home directory (i.e. the /home/username portion) is often expressed simply by the tilde (~) ... for example:

~/.thunderbird/Profiles/some_eight_character_alphanumeric.default/Mail

I would hope that David consulted one of the FAQ's on Mozillazine, where such general info is easily obtainable

Mercutio

I just installed Fedora 6 RC1 on a 1.2GHz P3. I was able to get DoveCot IMAP, Samba (server), fetchmail for 4 users, and Wordpress (an app that requires Apache, MySQL and PHP to be configured) in about 30 minutes.

OpenSuSE is wonderful as a client/workstation, but it's a lot easier to set up a proper server on Fedora.

ddrueding

Fixture
OK, FC6 seems very slow for a desktop OS; especially when compared to ubuntu. I was even able to get the VMWare Tools installed, but it seems that I need to run it every time? Is there a startup folder somewhere?

Sol

Storage is cool
This article explains init.d and rc scripts which is what you need to use to start things at boot time.
I think that the install script for vmware tools will handle this for you but the rmp package won't. I installed vmware tools on a centos VM today for some testing and installing the .rmp didn't seem to do much, subsequently running the configuration script from the tar.gz file had a much more lasting effect.

ddrueding

Fixture
If you had to use a website that required IE and had ubuntu installed on your computer, what would be the easiest way to do it?

Mercutio

You would install Wine as appropriate for your distro and then you would use winetools (linked on the Wine download page) to install and configure IE.

Or you'd drop the moronic requirement to use IE for anything but a Firefox download.

RWIndiana

If you had to use a website that required IE and had ubuntu installed on your computer, what would be the easiest way to do it?

Sometimes it works to simply use Konqueror and set the browser identification to IE. Only about half the time though (if that).

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Sometimes it works to simply use Konqueror and set the browser identification to IE. Only about half the time though (if that).
Of course, Ubuntu being a Gnome desktop, dd would have to add Konqueror (a native KDE app) and its KDE libraries and dependencies.

RWIndiana

Of course, Ubuntu being a Gnome desktop, dd would have to add Konqueror (a native KDE app) and its KDE libraries and dependencies.

Oops, this is true. Could still be done though, probably in around 100mbytes (a liberal guess I think). Dun't know. Just a possible option.

I'd like to keep my linux build and move it to my new computer. I got tired of messing with the little toaster that wished it could and build myself a better machine.

Old Spec:

New Spec:
2GB PC500 RAM
36GB Raptor
nVidia 6200TC

What will I have to do to move this install over? Can I simply clone the harddrive across with TrueImage?

RWIndiana

Oops, this is true. Could still be done though, probably in around 100mbytes (a liberal guess I think). Dun't know. Just a possible option.

Old Spec:

New Spec:
2GB PC500 RAM
36GB Raptor
nVidia 6200TC

Yes, actually. I only installed Debian once. I have it running on 7 machines. All I did was clone with Ghost. Of course, they have all taken their own directions :) but it always worked flawlessly (by that I mean that all I had to do was run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to set the proper graphics chipset. It was quite simple. Depending on the hard drive configuration, fstab and grub may need updated). I have Via, Intel, nvidia, ATI chipsets, a dual-core Athlon64, Pentiums, a Duron, Sempron. To make it short (too late), the hardware is all quite varied and I never had any trouble at all cloning them. You can't clone a 64-bit system to a 32-bit though, obviously. :)