Your favorite browser is now v1.5

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Beginnings of a Firefox document.

Had nothing better to do, so I spent most of the day writing it and putting together screenshots. It concentrates for the moment on Firefox features not available in crappier web browsers, and it assumes the user is running Windows.

Comments?

Splash

Learning Storage Performance

WOOT! WOOT! WOOT!

FIREFOX 1.5.0.5 released!

As Firefox takes on Internet Explorer, Firefox becomes more like Internet Explorer.

• MFSA 2006-56 chrome: scheme loading remote content
    MFSA 2006-55 Crashes with evidence of memory corruption (rv:1.8.0.5)
    MFSA 2006-54 XSS with XPCNativeWrapper(window).Function(...)
    MFSA 2006-53 UniversalBrowserRead privilege escalation
    MFSA 2006-52 PAC privilege escalation using Function.prototype.call
    MFSA 2006-51 Privilege escalation using named-functions and redefined "new Object()"
    MFSA 2006-50 JavaScript engine vulnerabilities
    MFSA 2006-48 JavaScript new Function race condition
    MFSA 2006-47 Native DOM methods can be hijacked across domains
    MFSA 2006-46 Memory corruption with simultaneous events
    MFSA 2006-45 Javascript navigator Object Vulnerability
    MFSA 2006-44 Code execution through deleted frame reference

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
Beginnings of a Firefox document.

Had nothing better to do, so I spent most of the day writing it and putting together screenshots. It concentrates for the moment on Firefox features not available in crappier web browsers, and it assumes the user is running Windows.

Comments?
I like it and learned some things. Nice bit of history at the beginning.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I would love to see as much as you have. I find it nice to see what other people think makes for a more useful browser. Sometimes I disagree (I've tried IE tab but don't like it since I accidentally hit it far more frequently than I mean to by a ratio of ~100:0) but I sometimes find some nice tips. A blurb on how to get Filterset.G to block Gmail ads would be nice since I never could get that working.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Your favourite browser is now 1.5.06

Firefox 1.5.0.6 is a stability update that is part of our ongoing program to provide a safe Internet experience for our customers. We recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version.
  • Fixed an issue with playing Windows Media content
Release Date: August 2, 2006

Adcadet

Storage Freak
For far Firefox 2.0b2 seems much more stable than 2.0b1. I haven't been able to crash it in a few hours of use, something that I could do with 2.0b1.

Splash

But SeaMonkey has replaced Mozilla in any case. Latest version: 1.0.4, 2 August 2006.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Thanks for reminding me, Tannin.

Dammit! I *finally* installed Seamonkey (just the web browser component), and I like it as much as Mozilla V1.7.13, mainly because it looks and feels like Moz.

The installation of Seamonkey more or less wiped out my installation of Moz V1.7 web browser, but that's OK. I could still get Moz V1.7 to run, but it was joined at the hip to Seamonkey in a way that made it better to just uninstall Moz V1.7 and leave it at that. Seamonkey and Moz V1.7 were sharing many if not all the web browser settings and certainly the Bookmarks.

I had been waiting a while for Seamonkey to stabilise -- or so I thought. Early version usage of Moz and Firefox left me psychologically scarred (less so with Firefox). The Seamonkey V1.0.4 web browser seams as stable as the Moz V1.7 web browser, probably because it is nothing more than Moz V1.7 source code dressed up in new clothing and named after a weird variety of shrimp.

As it is now, I'd put Seamonkey on my recommended list.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I agree, Splash. I use it for around 40% of my browsing. (Opera 9 is about 50%, with Firefox getting a gurnsey for the remaining 10%.)

Oh, one thing that bugs me: I keep getting the dark blue Seamonkey icon mixed up with the dark blue Thunderbird one and then, just when I've hammerd my lexdixic shape into brain, the little minimised icon throws me because they forgot to change that one over from Mozilla.

Splash

Tannin said:
...the little minimised icon throws me because they forgot to change that one over from Mozilla.

Isn't that actually a Netscrape icon?

Tannin said:
The Seamonkey V1.0.4 web browser seams as stable as...

The above is what happens when you type Seamonkey reptitively, you mistakenly use seams instead of seems.

Must be time to go to sleep. Yes.

Splash

Attribution has been corrected:

SPLASH said:
The Seamonkey V1.0.4 web browser seams as stable as...

The above is what happens when you type Seamonkey reptitively, you mistakenly use seams instead of seems.

Must be time to go to sleep. Yes.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
According to Le Inq, Firefox 2.0 will be out tomorrow. RC3 has been pretty stable for me.

Mercutio

I'm running 2.0 (no RC, full FF2.0) now. At least some mirrors have it today.
My only complaint at the moment is that the Session Saver extension doesn't work with it.

Mercutio

OK. Complaint #2: I liked the Close Tab button better on the end of the Tab bar. I'm sure someone will come along and fix it back to the way it used to be, but IMO moving that particular UI element around is just stupid. It's no longer possible to quickly close tabs with the pointer. That sucks.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm sorry, it wasn't wrapped in a pretty HTML interface and linked directly from the homepage; nor was it on a google search.

Thanks.

Mercutio

Kids today. If it's not HTTP they don't want anything to do with it.
The world was better when more things were on gopher servers!

Mercutio

So, you're saying that if I go to a frat party, I might be able to have sex?
Why didn't anyone tell me this?!?

Handruin

Administrator
You might...but you'll want to cut it off afterwords... No saying which diseases will be lingering at a frat party.

Handruin

Administrator
No...I understand...but the consequences aren't worth the score. You'd be better off with a realdoll. ;)