Your favorite browser is now v1.5

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I'm running 2.0 (no RC, full FF2.0) now. At least some mirrors have it today.

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/win32/en-US/

OK. Complaint #2: I liked the Close Tab button better on the end of the Tab bar.

The Configuration Mania extension fixes that easily. I like the tab close button on the far right too.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/toolbarpalette/confmania/index_en.html

Browser >>> TabBrowsing >>> at the end of the tab strip (Firefox 1.x behavior)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
And here was me thinking that Time would be posting to explain that that put-the-close-buttons-in-the-wrong-places fix in Firefox that you need yet another blood extension for is something that you get right out of the box with a proper browser like Opera.

Wrong again.....

By the way, what's a promiscuous?

ddrueding

Fixture
...and if Tea had tried a bit harder, she would have seen that the link I posted will change the browser's behavior 4 different ways without any additional downloads, extensions, or anything else.

fb

Storage is cool
I saw a tip on another forum about how you move the close button to the right, without extensions. :) Go to about:config and change the value for browser.tabs.closeButtons to 3.

Handruin

Administrator

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I also reduced the mintabwidth to 20 from 100, so I can have more tabs on-screen. I dislike the scrolling tab bar, too.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Tried Firefox 1.2 and liked it but did find it very basic and unconfigurable out of the box (yes, I realize I didn't have all those plugins now). I used Moz 1.1 for a little while in parallel with Opera while I tried to wean myself off IE. Preferred Opera 7 and 8 at the time.

But eventually CrazyBrowser and kept coming back to it despite newer versions of Moz, FF, and Opera. After CrazyBrowser, then came MyIE2, and MyIE2's replacement, Maxthon -- all deluxe browsers based on IE's browsing engine but with all kinds of popup/ad blocking and tabbed browsing features.

Maxthon just feels right. Firefox, Moz, and Opera not as much.

Almost a year later, I find myself using Firefox 1.5.0.7 (waiting for a few more iterations of 2.x before I upgrade) as my browser of choice. Maxthon has proven to be too unstable and I find that with the right combination of plug-ins / extensions that FF can be set-up just the way I like it.

My complaints about FF are:
* Download manager and CPU utilization bug that Sol and Tannin have
* inability to save .mht files
* the lack of inline autocomplete for the URL
* not being able to use F2/F3 to scroll through the tabs

Favourite Extensions:
* Tab Mix Plus
* Mouse gestures
* NoScript
* Formfox
* CustomizeGoogle
* Fasterfox
* Forecastfox
* TableTools
* QuickZoom

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Just because I can, I'll ask a dumb question, that was asked of me by a customer and I didn't know. I gave a work-around and the customer is happy, but I'm not.

The person uses M$ mediaplayer to listen to listen to music that typically he has gotten from ripping CD's. As a security measure, he uses Firefox as his normal browser. He recently went to the M$ update and DL'ed and updated his Windows XP and that included IE7 as well as MediaPlayer 10. Now when he tries to listen to music, Media center insists upon DL'ing licenses (Yuk, Yuk, Yuk) but FireFox won't DL them.

My solution was to set the default browser to IE7 and have him continue using FireFox.

So, can one make FireFox auto DL the MediaPlayer's licenses when it requests them?

Mercutio

Get the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. That will include everything he needs, unless he's listening to licensed .wmas or something.

You don't want WMP downloading unfamiliar codecs anyway. It's possible to construct a video file that will force WMP to download spyware.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Get the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. That will include everything he needs, unless he's listening to licensed .wmas or something.

You don't want WMP downloading unfamiliar codecs anyway. It's possible to construct a video file that will force WMP to download spyware.

These are not Codec's, what Media player is doing is DL'ing DRM licenses.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
If I follow correctly Mark, your client is using WMP to rip his CDs. Is there not an option in WMP that allows you to turn off the DRM (I'm pretty sure there is).

Handruin

Administrator
^^^ I use the same, except that now I added the plugin for the bit comparison checking tool that Stereodude recommended in a different thread.

Sol

Storage is cool
I rip my music to flac and play it in foobar2000, but for people with more music than me ogg/vorbis or MP3 are good ways to go too. WMP is just too bloated for playing, well anything that it's actually capable of playing and DRM on ripped CDs is just wrong on so many levels...

I suspect you might be able to get Firefox to get these by using a plug in that loads specific pages in IE within firefox and then configuring the domain from whence these licenses come to load in IE... Avoiding the need for licenses on ripped music would seem to be a far better solution though.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
First, I'm not going to question his ethics but he has no access to the original CD's so using another program to re-rip the songs and using a different player is not really an option. And Yes, that really is the best choice.

I suspect that turning off DRM within WMP won't work, though I should test it. It really kinda defeats the whole purpose DRM if all one has to do is turn it off. So I really can't see why M$ would ever include that as an option within WMP.

I did tell WMP not to DL licenses, but then it won't play the music and it appears to have copy-protected the files so that other players won't play them either. I feel the being totally screwed feeling coming on ...

I searched for Addons to firefox and failed to find one that would do the job.

Any other suggestions? It is looking like my original kludge of simply setting IE7 as the default browser (So that when WMP requests a license it is auto-DL'ed) and using FireFox regardless for all normal browser activites is looking better and better. At least that works with no real interferance with how he wishes to use his machine.

Did I mention my feelings that M$ DRM initiative sucks big time and the consumer is being totally screwed by it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Did I mention my feelings that M$ DRM initiative sucks big time and the consumer is being totally screwed by it.

There are still options for intelligent people. The masses are being screwed by M$; but they were being screwed by Apple before that, and by Real before that...if you aren't knowledgeable, you will get screwed by corporations. When (not if) M$ prevents non-DRMed media from being played; then I will talk about being screwed.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
There are still options for intelligent people. The masses are being screwed by M$; but they were being screwed by Apple before that, and by Real before that...if you aren't knowledgeable, you will get screwed by corporations. When (not if) M$ prevents non-DRMed media from being played; then I will talk about being screwed.

People can be intelligent and not be computer savey. The masses, regardless, deserve respect. You, I, and my client, and even the intelligent, are all in the same boat: We are being screwed by pollititians world wide. While you may be able to avoid individual instances like DRM, you can't avoid stuff like the ware in Iraq or the war on terror, dependance on oil, global warming, .... Stuff like that, have consequences on all: Failing all other consequences there is always debt...

What I'm really saying is that we are all screwed.

ddrueding

Fixture
It's all good Mark. I didn't mean that he should know better; just that unless you are on top of things, whatever part of the world you are in will screw you. Too many people are under the impression that if they go though the world open, honest, and accepting that they will be met in kind. I wish that were the case, but when it comes to government or corporations, that simply isn't true.

Basically, my cynicism after just waking up matches yours with a headache. ;)

Sol

Storage is cool
So let me get this straight, the upshot of this thread seems to be the discovery that Microsoft doesn't stop you pirating music, it just makes sure you can't use Firefox as your default browser.

Is it just me or does that make perfect sense...?

Mercutio

I'm actually kind of stunned that MediaPlayer doesn't just use IE for everything by default, since it's so trivial to use the IE .OCXs to do Internet stuff.

What is Microsoft going to do with Vista, where IE will supposedly be an uninstallable, optional component?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
So let me get this straight, the upshot of this thread seems to be the discovery that Microsoft doesn't stop you pirating music, it just makes sure you can't use Firefox as your default browser.

Is it just me or does that make perfect sense...?
Being in the middle of the details, I didn't look at it that way, but looking back, yes that is really what it means. Further, there is a certain amount of Microsoft logic in it all: They really don't care about anyone else but themselves...

ddrueding

Fixture
I've actually had luck using IETab for this kind of thing. You can create a list of websites that automatically render in IE when FF is opened. Windows update, Office update, and Housecall Antivirus all work using this method.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I wish they would fix the damn save password bug. I would like to use that feature (securely).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I wish they would allow me to upgrade without having to restart the browser. I don't like to close it when I have 20+ tabs open.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
If you let it automatically restart, doesn't it bring those tabs bacK? It will restore the session after a crash so I'd think it should be able to do that.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
What if the things you have open are authenticated sessions? I doubt it will be able to bring those back...

Mercutio

I am allergic to losing authenticated sessions as well, but I don't really see how one could do an in-place upgrade without a restart, either. This is why I go months without closing Firefox...