Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Wow. Normally I hear them about 1-2 days prior to 4-JUL, but only ocassionally. Are fireworks legal in your county?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Technically, no. In Indiana they're legal to sell but not to use. But no one ever gets in any trouble for it. It's ongoing bullshit and one of the things I hate about this place.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I heard a couple pops the other night but that could have been gunshots. Both are unusual for where I live.

ddrueding

Fixture
Legal to sell and use here, though I haven't heard any yet. The night of the 4th they will start around 6PM and end (with some major, illegal, class-A exceptions) around 2AM. I'm glad I went to such steps to soundproof the bedroom.

LunarMist

So? I was teleconferencing with the Canadians yesterday and it sounded like 1-JUL was celebrated not unlike other summer holidays such as US 4-JUL. That was in fact in the Montréal headquarters. I think they all have to be bi up there.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have no more reason to celebrate the 1st of July than I do on the 4th of the 14th. It's a foreign country celebration. Mine was last week. In fact, I'm working today.

And we have a lot of British-loving, brown-tongue-english-speaking-ass-lickers in Montréal's area, sadly. Their ridicule second-favorite puppet is visiting them tomorrow, at our expense, which is outraging.

I don't mind english-speaking people in the U.S.A. or elsewhere in Canada (or Australia, or Britain, or...). But I deeply despise any fucker who comes here, on MY land, and tries to impose his foreign language to my people. Of course, a tourist on vacation isn't the same. I'm speaking about people who settles for years and don't learn the local proper way to communicate : French.

Handruin

Administrator
When I was visiting Montreal as a tourist, I didn't assume people spoke English. I tried my best to ask in French if the person spoke English. It drove me nuts that my other friend who went with us would not even try to ask if they spoke English but proceeded to talk in English. I thought that was slightly rude even for us being tourists.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Your delicacy in regard to our language is appreciated. However, I do not expect American tourists to speak french. But if I would visit another country, like some place in Europe, I wouldn't assume that every local speaks either french or english (the sole two languages I'm able to communicate) and I would ask prior to engage a discussion.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I assume people speak American when I travel because it is the universal language. Everyone learns it.

If that fails I resort to monkey-like sign language.

If that fails I didn't need it anyway.

Handruin

Administrator
Why does that bother you so greatly? Were you trying to sleep at 9PM? I heard them being lit off at the park near by around 10PM. Rather than getting upset, I went outside to watch.

Mercutio

I live in a fireworks state. People buy their kids fireworks and they're let off continuously at all times of the day and night. There was a six year old wandering around my apartment building with a grill lighter and a bunch of bottle rockets yesterday. Because that's a good idea.

You heard them at 10? I've been hearing them at 3:30AM for the last three weeks. It'll calm down again in maybe another two weeks and then finally stop right around the kids go back to school.

Basically, I don't want to hear it. Technically, the vast majority of that shit is illegal to use, though it's legal to purchase them. But no amount of complaining will get police response to fireworks related noise in Indiana.

ddrueding

Fixture
The prosecution needs to be careful pursuing the death penalty. It scares some people off (not me). She seemed guilty enough from here...

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I went to Charleston SC for a couple days with one night of camping in the mountains. Great vacation in a very cool city

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
Suspected of murdering her toddler daughter.
Lots of evidence linking her to at least dumping the body but I guess it wasn't enough.

Mercutio

She killed her 2 year old daughter.

Why is that important enough that it's breaking news? People kill each other all the time. Someone came into my office to tell me about it a little while ago.

Here's the rule: If it's not on NPR it's not news.

Stereodude

Not really a
Casey Anthony innocent. Wow, didn't see that coming.
When all the media is singing from the same song sheet odds are the song is all wrong. This smacks of the whole DSK thing, Duke Lacrosse "rape" case, & post Hurricane Katrina coverage. Get all the facts wrong, question nothing, look like idiots.

LunarMist

What's a Casey Anthony and why do I care what he or she did?

I thought Casey was a dude. But yeah, I care not a whit unless the person did something important. Until relatively recently killing offspring was a traditional activity in many cultures in times of limited resources or when the offspring were considered defective by their standards. A lot of other species do that too.

LunarMist

WTF is the Egg doing? There is no Fedex or UPS 2nd day or overnight shipping anymore. There is only 3-day shipping or some other BS shipping method. That is f*cked up. :tdown:

ddrueding

Fixture
Newegg has always had a deal with UPS. I suspect that their "newegg" branded shipping is just them picking between UPS/Fedex whichever is cheaper at the moment.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Newegg shipped me my C300 SSDs via newegg saver shipping. This was DHL which then transfers to the USPS for delivery. It spent about 19 days with USPS before getting to me yesterday. In the meanwhile, I filed a claim for a missing shipment as I usually get my stuff from them in like a day or two. So after 10 business days I filed the claim. Now there is a second package headed my way which shipped yesterday. Which I'll then have to return to them.

Mercutio

Apparently the new trend in e-tail is reducing costs for logistics. Newegg's getting worse, Amazon's getting worse. This does not bode well.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
I thought Casey was a dude. But yeah, I care not a whit unless the person did something important. Until relatively recently killing offspring was a traditional activity in many cultures in times of limited resources or when the offspring were considered defective by their standards. A lot of other species do that too.

Until recently it was ok to have slaves in this country.
What cultures have done in the past is hardly an indicator of what is moral or right.

LunarMist

Until recently it was ok to have slaves in this country.
What cultures have done in the past is hardly an indicator of what is moral or right.

I'm sure it was perfectly moral and right at some time 5-10 thousand years ago, just as people from then would find many of our customs today deplorable.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I think in the cities amazon has started alternate carriers, keep reading about that. I just started a prime membership trial and everything is coming UPS 2day.

Also noticed that newegg eblast mail crap takes a couple days to shut off. Annoying.