Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Quote of the Day for CougTek (stolen from someone's /. sig):

Violence is like duct tape. If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

I use gaffer's tape so it is never enough. It is always good to keep a roll around your arm like a bracelet. ;)

LunarMist

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

Stupid Windows update. :(

LunarMist

Where do you get those? I wish I could find find high CRI 5000K bulbs.

LunarMist

Hmm. I wish they were sold in small volumes and locally. I can just see the tubes shattering on the UPS.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
One of my students just handed me an i7 980x. The motherboard it was on went bad and is out of warranty, and he doesn't think it's worth the money to buy another one.

Sweet.

LunarMist

You must have some well off students. I paid almost $1000 for that CPU last year.

Mercutio

You must have some well off students. I paid almost $1000 for that CPU last year.

I can't imagine that anybody would be buying Dell Precision Workstations without a service contract, but that's apparently what happened. Dell wanted $650 for a new motherboard and apparently it was easier for his business unit to just get a new machine than fix the old one.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have a new (in box, never opened) GigaByte X58-USB3 that one customer ordered but never came to pick up. PM me if you're interested.

Mercutio

I need to make sure the CPU works first. Gonna slap it in my ESX machine and if it works OK I probably will be in the market for another board.

Mercutio

We all know there is no such thing as enough SATA.
But that Gigabyte board is pretty much the one I've bought for LGA1366.

LunarMist

I have the UD5. I'm not sure how different it is, but there are also only 10 SATA ports. I added a 4-port external card and an 8-port internal card. Now I'm running out of drive letters. Stupid Windows, could have used numbers or something. :rant:

LunarMist

Those spammers are posting the evil links in their signature lines. :( Maybe if that were disabled there would not be so many new spammers, or does it not make a difference?

LunarMist

Oh, so that is the Solitaire game people played on the computers a lot in the 90s? I recall it was a problem at work back before the internet. According to the wiki it is diffcult to lose. In a way that is something special, so justifiable as not horrible.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
At work our computers are so locked down they are only good for e-mail and Office. We can get on the internet but it is about as fast as dial-up and it is so locked down that only 'company approved' sites are available. So my time waster in going to a weather map, putting it in loop mode, and staring at it while thinking of all the other places I would rather be. I have to be careful though, the IT Nazis time how long you are on a web site.