Something Random

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
WTF is that yellow-orange colorant in the "buttered" popcorn? It seems to have a left a permanent stain on my underwear. :mad:

Most likely:
FD&C Yellow No.5 Tartrazine [E102] = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartrazine
FD&C Yellow No.6 Sunset Yellow [E110] = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_Yellow_FCF

E102 has links to sleeping disorders and ADD in children.
E110 has links to migraines and ADD in young children.

PS. Often you don't want to know what's in modern day foods... eg E160b has proven links to ADHD in children and adults, yet is allowed in most foods. A large percentage of children are diagnosed with ADHD and are have E160b removed through their diet often no longer require medication or can have their medication reduced significantly... In Australia E160b is in McDonalds cheese and the maority of their sauces...

For those that enjoy McDonalds - here is the ingredients list for Australia: http://mcdonalds.com.au/sites/mcdonalds.com.au/files/images/Ingredient-Listing-15-June-2011v2.pdf (If you have time look up what some of the ingredients actually are - you'll never eat that crap again).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Yes. The work of being a container for waste water for unclean lady parts and/or rectal cavities.

They have deployed the iPads to the field sales force in one of the associated companies from work. I think that have given some of the remaining IT people Ipads for evaluations. I see some of them wandering around with iPADS, but most are still carrying small laptops around.

LunarMist

I just assumed it was linked to consumption of one of the colourings. eg for Sunset Yellow, consumption may result in various symptoms, including gastric upset, diarrhea, ...

:hurl: If I crapped my drawers I'd just throw them out and certainly not mention it here. ;)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I completed a Mahjong Titans game (turtle) in 232 seconds. If I ever beat it in under 200 seconds, I want a bronze statue of myself erected in an important place.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
'Constructed' conjures up more tolerable images in my head rather than erected. No bronze erections allowed.

colima-man-with-erection.jpg

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Sorry, I thought "erected" was correctly used in that sentence. I'm trying to use a vocabulary larger than 300 words. Because I seldom use english in my day-to-day life, it is probable that I choose inacurate or improper terms at times.

My french vocabulary is much wider and specific than the one I use here. I must not be that bad because I remember that some members were surprise when I revealed that english wasn't my primary language more than a decade ago (I don't know if I have improved or regressed since).

BTW, that kid statue seems young to show that much sexual arrousal.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I completed a Mahjong Titans game (turtle) in 232 seconds. If I ever beat it in under 200 seconds, I want a bronze statue of myself erected in an important place.

I have a few winning times for Kyodai Mahong in that layout that are below three minutes. Since none of my high scores have changed in years I think I got to the limit of how fast I can match tiles.

Sol

Storage is cool
With my current bananas and white toast diet, I will easily make my weight loss deadline, but this isn't the way I had planned.

Watch out with the bananas, too many* and you'll be losing weight (and hair) due to radiation poisoning...

*Too many in this case being 20,000,000 or so in some, ill defined, period. I have no information on the radioactivity of white toast (it probably depends on the toaster) so the actual risk may be much higher.

Mercutio

Someone brought me a 24" Aluminum iMac. Needed a replacement hard drive.
Time spent opening the stupid thing: 40 minutes, mostly 'cause the person who had it had messed up the one external Torx screw and I had to drill it out.

Time replacing the drive and actually reinstalling the OS: 1 hour-ish.

Time spent trying to put the damned thing back together so that nothing was fouling a fan and the display actually works: about two and a half hours.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You forgot the last line :

"Seeing the face of the customer when you charged him all the labor needed so he understand what an error it was to buy an Apple computer : priceless"

Mercutio

... and then the fucking glass that covers the LCD shattered when I tried to put it back on the way Apple says you're supposed to.

Anyway, no, there's nothing wrong with that machine as a computer. It's decently fast for its age and I can understand why someone would like that form factor but holy god that thing is a pain in the ass.

Sol

Storage is cool
Someone brought me a 24" Aluminum iMac. Needed a replacement hard drive.
Time spent opening the stupid thing: 40 minutes, mostly 'cause the person who had it had messed up the one external Torx screw and I had to drill it out.

Time replacing the drive and actually reinstalling the OS: 1 hour-ish.

Time spent trying to put the damned thing back together so that nothing was fouling a fan and the display actually works: about two and a half hours.

Did you just try to figure it out on your own or use an iFixIt guide? Generally I think computers should be a lot more accessible than Apples are but iFixIt do do a good job of documenting what you need to do to replace bits, probably better than I've seen for any other brand (Who generally need it less).

ddrueding

Fixture
Just an observation:

If you remove the part with the vendor's name on it from a computer component, it usually makes it better. I'm specifically thinking of Gigabyte motherboards and video cards where they put a Gigabyte-branded shroud or sticker over part of a heatsink.

Mercutio

Did you just try to figure it out on your own or use an iFixIt guide? Generally I think computers should be a lot more accessible than Apples are but iFixIt do do a good job of documenting what you need to do to replace bits, probably better than I've seen for any other brand (Who generally need it less).

I was working from a guide, actually. Eventually I figured out that I wasn't the first person to be in that particular Mac, and the last guy had removed all the tape and crap that I had expected to find.

The glass is minimum $100 from a third party. I told the user they can live without it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just did a clean install from a pre-SP1 OEM 7-x64 disk. Upon startup, it made it through 98 of the 107 updates successfully, hanging on KB2560656. I told it to cancel, and that hung. Then I told the machine to reboot. The last thing the update window said before the reboot started was the "successful" window. The machine then hung in the "shutting down" window for 30 minutes before I hard-reset it. Now it won't boot at all.

Not that there's any user data on it or anything, I'd just spent the last 4 hours installing programs on it. Crap.

LunarMist

You forgot the last line :

"Seeing the face of the customer when you charged him all the labor needed so he understand what an error it was to buy an Apple computer : priceless"

I understand the value of private service for custom built PCs, but wouldn't the user take an Apple computer to an Apple service center if the work is straightforward?

Mercutio

There isn't one nearby. The option would be to take it to Chicago or something, and not everybody is going to want to pack up a desktop PC to do that.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I read somewhere if you don't replace the drive with an apple one in iMacs the fans run at high speed all the time because they can't read the thermal sensor or something. They just aren't meant to be serviced by third party. Was in the blogs recently somewhere.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
That is a Tower Crane.

They are used world wide on construction projects. You Tube video of the assembly of the crane.
Sometimes these are built inside the elevator shafts of buildings under construction. Iron workers then jack them up when needed. (this was quit a few years ago)

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks, Bozo. I'm familiar with tower cranes in general, but if you look closely at this one it appears to have been built at least partially from parts that were in the scrapyard to begin with ;)

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Youngest son (6) decided shoving a pair of goggles, some pokemon cards and a couple hot wheels cars in the toilet was a good idea. The goggles were too far in. I didn't get them out till I took the toilet off the floor and got them out from the bottom.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You must be pretty handy Will. The same thing happened to us years ago, but I paid a plumber who removed the toilet and upended it outside to retrieve the plastic toy - I think it was a hammer.