Something Random

Stereodude

Not really a
So I tried to buy 3 identical GSWF water filters from Amazon and got this. :cursin:

waterfilters.jpg

Exactly how little attention is the person who packs the box paying when they don't notice that the 3 items aren't the same?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
So in a few weeks I'm taking the MSF course (that qualifies as a license test exemption), and then it will be time to select a motorbike.

Initial thoughts are something in the 600cc range, a GSX-R 600 for example. Will be used for a 30 mile commute, 20 on highways. I guess even a litre bike would be ok, given I've driven manuals all my life, am in my mid 30s and can exert self control from cracking beyond 1/2 throttle, provided I remember to keep my wrist low to avoid accidental whoopsies. Learning on a 250 and then upgrading is the more sound course of action but I can't justify 2 bikes in rapid succession.

Any thoughts on what bike you'll get? I know that in this part of the world, with the recent changes to the laws, most manufacturers have introduced slightly downspec 600's that can be ridden by riders with a power restricted license. You get a slightly less powerful bike so you won't kill yourself (as quickly), but still have the larger engine capacity...

(Our laws for all new bike riders is that they are restricted to a bike with a
  • power-to-weight ratio must not exceed 150 kW/t
  • engine capacity must not exceed 660 mL.
for the first 12mths, than only after an additional advanced rider course can you get a unrestricted license. Based on the above we know have a full range of 600cc bikes that can be ridden by people who just got their license, where as previously new riders were restricted to essentially a 250cc class bike, which is a good thing for those that want a larger bike but don't have the experience to handle it properly).

I'm still dreaming of my next bike, but that won't be for at least another 2 years... (when I graduate Uni and get back into full time work to justify the cost).

ddrueding

Fixture
Sprint Overdrive -> DD-WRT'ed router in bridge mode -> Vonage Adapter -> Fax Machine

All this just to get an old fax to work in the middle of nowhere.

Handruin

Administrator
That's a fun solution to an age-old technology. I'm impressed a fax works over Vonage.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Any thoughts on what bike you'll get? I know that in this part of the world, with the recent changes to the laws, most manufacturers have introduced slightly downspec 600's that can be ridden by riders with a power restricted license. You get a slightly less powerful bike so you won't kill yourself (as quickly), but still have the larger engine capacity...

(Our laws for all new bike riders is that they are restricted to a bike with a
  • power-to-weight ratio must not exceed 150 kW/t
  • engine capacity must not exceed 660 mL.
for the first 12mths, than only after an additional advanced rider course can you get a unrestricted license. Based on the above we know have a full range of 600cc bikes that can be ridden by people who just got their license, where as previously new riders were restricted to essentially a 250cc class bike, which is a good thing for those that want a larger bike but don't have the experience to handle it properly).

I'm still dreaming of my next bike, but that won't be for at least another 2 years... (when I graduate Uni and get back into full time work to justify the cost).

I just accepted a new job offer today, so hopefully BMW will finance an F 800 ST to me, kindly recommended by Howell.

bmw-f-800-st.jpg

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218631

One thing with the headlamp design is it seems to cut off far peripheral lighting (which I need to see deer eye reflections on the edge of the road), apparently a set of additional lights can be installed aftermarket.

Something nice and smooth that can cruise on the highway at 65 mph (whilst those around me do 75-80). 30 mile commute, about 2 miles of city traffic (30 mph). Nice multistory carpark with attendants attached to work to avoid some bastards picking it up and putting it in a pickup truck. If I can get enough storage for my helmet, jacket, pants, boots and gloves, I will be all set.

No graduated power restrictions here in the land of the free, once you either do the 2 day theory/practical mix and get the license test exemption or just go direct to pass the DMV test, you are free to die a bloody spot on the side of the road if you can't handle the responsibility.

85hp @ 8000 rpm, but can be limited to 34hp via throttle body, which I will prob take advantage of for the first few thousand miles.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Do give us your impression of that bike after some miles, it caught my eye too.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
He's been thirty for a year already? Oh, well happy birthday then.

Random fact of the day : It is quite inconvenient to use a mouse when the outside casing exploded and the only part of the mouse left is the circuit board and the USB wire to connect it to the computer.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
:b-day: If I were there I would give you some pizza. ;)

Today is the first 2+ lbs. of the pizza experiment.

ddrueding

Fixture
My goal was to get under 200lbs before my birthday. I don't know if I would have made it if it weren't for having the flu for the last two weeks. Not the way I wanted to go about it, but 197lbs will have to do :)

Handruin

Administrator
My goal was to get under 200lbs before my birthday. I don't know if I would have made it if it weren't for having the flu for the last two weeks. Not the way I wanted to go about it, but 197lbs will have to do :)

Congrats on surpassing your goal even if by means of a virus! ;-)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Did you shrink? I thought you were 5'10" or 5'11" not so long ago? And Merc below 200lbs, that's a novelty. How old were you last time it happened? Less than 20 I guess.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
With a BMI of 24.6, I am barely in the "normal" threshold. But I'm happy. To be in the middle of the BMI normal range I would need to be down to 168lbs...screw that.
My BMI is ~26, so I guess I'm anormal (in yet another way). My waste, excuse me, my waist is 33", so I don't feel I'm overweighted. BMI is not everything.