Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Android-based tablets and most Apple products have issues/incompatibilities with Flash. If the page uses Flash, it's not surprising those devices have trouble displaying it.

I'm not sure that is it. The page appears for a fraction of a second and then the url changes to something unusable.

Handruin

Administrator
True science fact: It takes longer do uninstall the Bing Toolbar than it does to uninstall Visio 2007.

That's where the notion of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure would help in this case.

Last edited:

ddrueding

Fixture
[h=5]Baby Elizabeth was born at 6:05 Am on April 18 after 32 hours of labor. She weighs 8.5 lbs and is 21" long. We haven't slept for 55+ hours, so the rest will have to wait.[/h]

ddrueding

Fixture
... but I did get my wife to accept a full height rack of water cooled computers in the living room. wrapped with acoustic panels to conceal the 3" conduit into the attic.

Handruin

Administrator
Congratulations to both you and your wife. I hope you can get some sleep soon and I wish the three of you good health.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
Congratulations,
32 hours? The poor thing. I hope the baby is letting her get some rest.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
[h=5]Baby Elizabeth was born at 6:05 Am on April 18 after 32 hours of labor. She weighs 8.5 lbs and is 21" long. We haven't slept for 55+ hours, so the rest will have to wait.[/h]

Sincerest congratulations to both of you... Now the fun really begins!

(mind you, my wife always ask: why is it the husband gets congratulated, when it's the wife whose done all the work, eg 9 months of pregnancy, x hours of labour, the late nights feeding to come, etc? All the husband did was have an hour of fun 9 months ago... ;) )

LunarMist

:cheers: What's up with the imperial measurements? The American hospitals have not figured out the metric system yet. :smurfin:

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Congrats on the girl & Good Luck! Let's see her! Are you keeping a poop & pee & eat log? Oh the days! ;)

I can relate to the zombie-like tiredness. Still remember one time when I woke up and took Brendan into his room to change him on the changing table and then realizing that this doesn't feel too safe carrying a baby while feeling this way. I almost fell down I was so exhausted. May you be blesssed with good baby sleeptime in the near future. My son had night terrors about 2x per night, every night, for the first three years of his life. Sleeping 'like a baby' now though....he's 5.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
:cheers: What's up with the imperial measurements? The American hospitals have not figured out the metric system yet. :smurfin:
Interestingly, births are one area that U. S. hospitals use the metric system, in one metric, cervical dilation. (Or at least that was my limited experience 30±3 years ago, somewhat close the the recent blessed event of interest, at Alta Bates in Berkeley.)

They put an French twist on it by pronouncing it «Sauntimeters».

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Speaking of kids, my son loves his pet spider (Australian Tarantula** - SP2), and my daughter got her first pet today - two fresh water crayfish, and she's named them Peppa and Flash! (nope she didn't want gold fish, she wanted the yabbies).

** Australian Tarantula's shouldn't be handled, unlike the American ones, as the Australian ones are quite aggressive in nature.

LunarMist

The last time I was bitten by a tarantula it was very painful and the effects lasted for a week or so.

LunarMist

Oh and the other times before the last bite where not as bad? How many times have been bitten by tarantulas? Did you try scorppions?

I think it gets worse each time. :( However, I have not had such bad experiences with scorpions. Most species of the scorpions in SoCal are not too serious. We had some in the house a few times and they attack the feet. It feels like a typical bee sting. I've also been stung by the African bee, which was much more painful. The site was blood red over several cm, my ankle was terribly swollen, and walking was painful for a week.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
So far we've managed about 7 hours of sleep each in the last 72. It is becoming an issue.

Sorry to hear that, it will get better... a little.

The good news is you start to get used to it after awhile. You just have to survive the first several months.

If you start to get frustrated (and you probably will) just walk outside and take a break.

ddrueding

Fixture
All the decent pictures are on the DSLR and will have to wait for us to get home. Jaundice and weight loss issues have us in the hospital for our 5th day, and the sleep tally is now about 10 in the last 100, with the longest single stint being 90 minutes nearly continuous this morning.

In the meantime, the only picture I have is one my wife stuck on FB.

D and E.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
Hang in there. Hopefully it gets better soon and the jaundice and weight get better.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
We had to deal with jaundice too. After bringing ours home we had to take him back to the hospital for tests and we had to let him stay over night under the tanning lights with the goggles on. Rough night but his levels got back to acceptable levels after about a day.

It's 2 only 6lb 6oz when born but he was about 21" too iirc so don't worry too much

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Ours was only 6lb 6oz when born but he was about 21" too, iirc, so don't worry too much....... I mean. They usually lose a bit after leaving their paradise.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, down to 3500g before that started to recover. And the night under the tanning lights was indeed a rough one; I had to hold her hands the whole time to stop her from screaming (4 hours at a time, my fingernails went blue).

But now we are home and all is well. Family is swarming, and taking most of the load for now.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
So glad you are past a very rough patch! Hang in there you are past the worst of it. :)

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
As Clocker said, the worst part of it is over. (We didn't have to deal with jaundice with our two, but know of many cases that it was quite severe).

Words of advise from my better half:
1. Trust your gut, and take everything anyone (whose not a medical professional) says to you with a grain of salt. Some of the crap my mum used to come out with, was truly scary. (Stuff they did back in 70's has found to be dangerous since). Be very aware of old-wives tales...
2. Do not compare the development of your child to any other child, they will all develop at different rates. The only thing to watch, is that they reach certain milestones by set ages. eg. don't care that little johnny could recite the alphabet and count in powers of two at 12mths, and while your child is happy just eating crayons at 12mths.
3. Be prepared for the crap you will hear in parents rooms. The stuff that I have heard me has certainly scared me for life! (No, I don't want to hear how you tore during delivery and needed internal and external stitches, or how your nipples bleed constantly during the time you breast feed, or how you husband hates your sagging belly, or... (and that's the nice stuff). ;) ).

Also glad that you're home now, and family is able to assist and let the both of you get some rest.