Home NAS

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
No, that was directed at sechs who said he had moved his NAS fine with the drives still mounted. Driving down the road with the nas nice and comfy belted in on a cushy seat would seem to be perfectly fine, but once you go to UPS or Fedex (ground or air) they are playing football with their cargo. I guess if your data isn't critical you could roll the dice.
I've sent and received NASes via UPS and FedEx with the drives in them. No data loss.

If your data is critical, it's backed-up anyway.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I've sent and received NASes via UPS and FedEx with the drives in them. No data loss.

The drives will be empty, so there is no no data loss.

ddrueding

Fixture
When I ran a MikroTik router at home I modified it and added it to the water loop. Quiet enough at that point.

Cutting a hole in the top and adding a 120mm fan would probably also make it quiet enough.

LunarMist

Interesting. Let us know if that is any good. Right now I have only 4 devices but 8x SFP+ would be more futureproof.

LunarMist

So the NAS I shipped arrived a few weeks ago and I backed up all the data without incident.
I was informed today that the NAS was somehow knocked off a table onto the floor and some of the drives ejected and won't go back in. The NAS was running at the time and is now making loud beeping sounds. No shit. :(

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
So the NAS I shipped arrived a few weeks ago and I backed up all the data without incident.
I was informed today that the NAS was somehow knocked off a table onto the floor and some of the drives ejected and won't go back in. The NAS was running at the time and is now making loud beeping sounds. No shit. :(

So pretty much worst scenario imaginable. So need to go through the entire process again? If possible a more secure location would be advisable next time.

LunarMist

So pretty much worst scenario imaginable. So need to go through the entire process again? If possible a more secure location would be advisable next time.

I do not understand it fully and was a bit tired after an hour on the phone with the user.
After finally locking the drives in place there was a message that drive number 4 failed and the array was degraded. However, the user indicated there was a log entry that the array had also degraded two days earlier when nobody was there and the NAS was supposedly off. :( Anyway, there is no SMART error for any of the drives so I suggested to repair the array and that is working now.

LunarMist

Expansion units in general are not very economical. The 12-bay DX1215 makes more sense for the DS36xx series as they are basically the same chassis. A 5 to 8-bay expansion box would make more sense, but I really think the DS3018xs should have 8 bays.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
"HGST 8TB Deskstar 7200 rpm SATA III 3.5" Internal NAS Drive Kit" for $230 at B&H.

I'm not building a NAS. However my internal 1 TB & 2 TB drives are filling up.

Decent price? No issues using a "NAS" drive as a conventional drive? Win 7 Pro. Any known reliability issues when using a NON-Intel chipset for SATA ports. Specifically the Marvell 88SE9172. Also looking for an external MHD that is 4 TB. Any reliability difference between a internal MHD in an enclosure vs a small external laptop drive. Is eSATA something to consider or "just get a USB 3.0 unit? the way to go." Thanks in advance.

LunarMist

"HGST 8TB Deskstar 7200 rpm SATA III 3.5" Internal NAS Drive Kit" for $230 at B&H.

I'm not building a NAS. However my internal 1 TB & 2 TB drives are filling up.

Decent price? No issues using a "NAS" drive as a conventional drive? Win 7 Pro. Any known reliability issues when using a NON-Intel chipset for SATA ports. Specifically the Marvell 88SE9172. Also looking for an external MHD that is 4 TB. Any reliability difference between a internal MHD in an enclosure vs a small external laptop drive. Is eSATA something to consider or "just get a USB 3.0 unit? the way to go." Thanks in advance.

NAS drives are fine as singles. I don't think that model uses helium, so it may need some decent airflow.
Mobile drives seem to be slower and slower lately. I have a couple of 4TB mobile (2.5') drives, but mainly use 2TB. The Seagate 4GB mobiles tend to suffer from the dreaded shingles.
Make sure you check on the internal configuration.

Handruin

Administrator
That does seem like a good price for that drive. I have four of their 7200 RPM NAS drives in my workstation without issue so I'd have no concern recommending it. They may be a little noisier but no issues so far with thousands of hours of powered on time from all of them. However I don't own any of the 8TB because they've typically been expensive.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm thinking of picking up two drives but my motherboard only have two Intel SATA 3 ports. One port already has the SSD on it, hence my concern with non-Intel ports. The He drives are $50-70 more than the discounted drive linked above. Worth the added cost? Heat/airflow not a problem with my chassis.

Handruin

Administrator
I wouldn't spend extra for the He drives. If you keep good backups then just assume they'll all fail at some point. I have had really good luck with the 4TB and 6TB so far. There are 38 of them spinning in my house right now and one failure. The 4TB drives have over 3 years powered on hours and they account for 14 of those drives.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I wouldn't spend extra for the He drives. If you keep good backups then just assume they'll all fail at some point. I have had really good luck with the 4TB and 6TB so far. There are 38 of them spinning in my house right now and one failure. The 4TB drives have over 3 years powered on hours and they account for 14 of those drives.

Good to know the He-premium isn't necessary. Thanks. The 8 TB drives at B&H are the price of the 6TB drives at Amazon/Newegg. The 6 TB drive is $25 cheaper @ B&H. Two 8 TB drives 'mirrored' would hold me for another 10 years as it took me three years to fill the 1 and 2 TB drives.

EDIT: Crap forgot to ask...any issues with large sector size and Z77 chipset. TIA.

LunarMist

Good to know the He-premium isn't necessary. Thanks. The 8 TB drives at B&H are the price of the 6TB drives at Amazon/Newegg. The 6 TB drive is $25 cheaper @ B&H. Two 8 TB drives 'mirrored' would hold me for another 10 years as it took me three years to fill the 1 and 2 TB drives.

EDIT: Crap forgot to ask...any issues with large sector size and Z77 chipset. TIA.

No, of course not. It's mainly a matter of power/heat; helium is especially cooler at idle.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm thinking of picking up two drives but my motherboard only have two Intel SATA 3 ports. One port already has the SSD on it, hence my concern with non-Intel ports. The He drives are $50-70 more than the discounted drive linked above. Worth the added cost? Heat/airflow not a problem with my chassis.
Why do you need to use the SATA-3 ports? You'll barely lose any performance on a SATA-2 port.

Handruin

Administrator
I really can't answer the question on the advanced format and Z77. My Z97 chipset had no issues with 4TB and 6TB with advanced format (4K sector) but haven't tried 8TB. I also do not boot from them in case that matters.

LunarMist

I thought any over 2TB are the same and the next limit is some ridiculous number.

Handruin

Administrator
Did you order the drives before B&H closed for their holiday? Seems the deal will expire before they reopen... I wonder if I can get Amazon to price match?

LunarMist

Did you order the drives before B&H closed for their holiday? Seems the deal will expire before they reopen...

No. The website opens at 7:45PM EDT on Saturday and the deal expires Saturday at midnight.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Why do you need to use the SATA-3 ports? You'll barely lose any performance on a SATA-2 port.

Correct. I don't need to use SATA-3. I had the wrong specs in my head and was thinking SATA-2 was 150 MB/s instead of 300 MB/s. I have two Intel SATA-3 ports and two Marvell 88SE9172 SATA-3 ports. SSD on one Intel port. I'm more concerned with reliability of the Marvell SATA-3 ports vs using Intel SATA-2 ports.

I really can't answer the question on the advanced format and Z77. My Z97 chipset had no issues with 4TB and 6TB with advanced format (4K sector) but haven't tried 8TB. I also do not boot from them in case that matters.

Sorry I was just being lazy. I can google it. I just thought somebody might know off hand. My SSD is the boot drive.

Did you order the drives before B&H closed for their holiday? Seems the deal will expire before they reopen... I wonder if I can get Amazon to price match?

No. The website opens at 7:45PM EDT on Saturday and the deal expires Saturday at midnight.

Woops I better double check the dates/times..... Seems Lunar is correct and I'll have a few hours to order before deal expires. Now I just need to decide if I should just delete/archive a bunch of old crap vs buy new HDs.

LunarMist

Woops I better double check the dates/times..... Seems Lunar is correct and I'll have a few hours to order before deal expires. Now I just need to decide if I should just delete/archive a bunch of old crap vs buy new HDs.

Did you order some drives?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Did you order some drives?

No. I just did some pruning and deleted/archived some older files. I just couldn't justify the expense right now, as it was more of a luxury then a true need. I just kicked the can down the road a bit and will have to make a decision later next year.

Handruin

Administrator
B&H still hasn't processed my order for these drives that I placed on Oct 7th. If I was less lazy I'd contact their support to ask but I wonder what gives? If their website was closed for holiday they weren't taking orders anyway so is there really a backlog?

Handruin

Administrator
I installed the two 8TB drives into my basement machine so I can let them do the full scan which might take an entire day. One interesting thing about these drives is that the screw holes on the bottom are aligned differently from all the other HGST NAS drives I've owned. This makes it really annoying to mount into the quick-release trays of my Fractal Design case. I can only fit two screws into the drive to mount it. Normally the spacing of the screws is close together but these are at each end of the drive.

LunarMist

I installed the two 8TB drives into my basement machine so I can let them do the full scan which might take an entire day. One interesting thing about these drives is that the screw holes on the bottom are aligned differently from all the other HGST NAS drives I've owned. This makes it really annoying to mount into the quick-release trays of my Fractal Design case. I can only fit two screws into the drive to mount it. Normally the spacing of the screws is close together but these are at each end of the drive.

So what is the verdict? Are they about the same in performance compared to the He drives?

LunarMist

What is the theory of increasing number of drives vs. % of capacity on max. RAD performance?
If I have six drives in RAID 6 and add a seventh, will that cause more CPU load from the parity calculations?
At this point it is about 60% full and would then be about 50% full, but usage will increase in the future.