3TB HD from WD

Handruin

Administrator
I had a hard enough time finding 8 of them to buy let alone any deals. I guess I waited too long. I ended up buying 2 each from 2 different vendors and 4 from a third vendor. The 2 orders of 2 have shipped, the 3rd order of 4 hasn't. I really hope it does since I'm not sure I can find another 4 drives anywhere. The vendor claimed to have them in stock when I ordered and now they're out of stock, so I'm hoping to see they ship shortly rather than my getting a notice that they're out of stock. :frusty:

FWIW, there are a few vendors on ebay who seem to have some stock, but their online stores don't have any in stock like EXcaliberPC, so I'm skeptical that they really have the ones they're selling on ebay (which would be a violation of ebay's TOS).

I didn't realize it was that far along that they were so hard to find. I looked up the 1.5TB drives on newegg and they're still in stock. I bought into those originally and I may have to stick with those for now. I'll probably buy several more of those since my storage demands aren't as high as yours right now. I was planning on buying into the 2TB drives at some point, but because of the potential for performance issues on a Perc card with 4K sectors, I'll stick with the smaller 1.5TB drives. I can fit 15 drives into my NAS which would give me 22.5TB of raw storage. I'll have to investigate what the next step is to get beyond the 4K issue with RAID cards at some point down the road.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm ready to move forward with a 4x 3TB drive array for the house, as soon as I can find the drives. I'm also considering waiting until some company other than WD joins the party. Anyone have info on that?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Just realized that windows home server drive extender doesn't support GPT so you can't use these in WHS.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yes I think I have seen it mentioned that vail will support really big drives, but I don't think it is GPT. Sounds more like they are developing another special type of partitioning system that won't be able to be read by anything else. It's not done so I have only been skimming vail news.

Handruin

Administrator
Hardware and I'm REALLY, REALLY, REALLY PISSED right now!

I bought two HD203WI's from a vendor on ebay and they sent me two HD204UI's. :bibber:

I assumed you were, I meant the question towards David. That stinks about getting the wrong model drive. Did you contact them yet to see if they'll take them back?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What about the RE4 or other drives designed for RAID use? I think they are still available.

Stereodude

Not really a
Did you contact them yet to see if they'll take them back?
I sent them a note, they haven't replied yet. Another vendor is trying to do the same thing to me too :( Saying they only have 1 HD203WI and want to give me the HD204UI. I told them no way.

I'm pretty convinced there's no way I'm going to end up with the number of these I want. :???:

Handruin

Administrator
What do you think would be involved with hacking the firmware in a Perc 6i so that partition alignment was a feature to fix the issue with 4K drives? If that was a feature, would you be less reluctant in getting the newer 2 TB drives with 4k sectors?

Handruin

Administrator
Also, how bad will it really be? I was googling Perc 6i and 4K sectors and in that huge thread on overclock.net one guy (granted this is only one person) said they haven't noticed any issues with a 4k drive on a perc.

I have used 4K drives (WD15EADS) and 512k drives (WD20EARS) which have the same performance specs and gave pretty much the same benchmarks in HD Tune. I thought the 4k drives were giving me performance issues at one point if you run across that thread, but I actually had to replace the MB. As far as aligning them, I have no idea how you do that through the Perc since it creates and manages the partitions for you. However, I've had no performance issues that I can tell, so it may be doing it correctly.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just ordered three from futurepowerpc (the only company that had them in stock and no ordering limit) and one from Newegg with a 3Ware 9650SE RAID card. We'll take a look at compatibility issues when it gets here.

Stereodude

Not really a
Also, how bad will it really be? I was googling Perc 6i and 4K sectors and in that huge thread on overclock.net one guy (granted this is only one person) said they haven't noticed any issues with a 4k drive on a perc.
HDtune isn't going to show much of anything. IOmeter and latency tests would show the performance issues.

However, previously I read over there that people were having issues with the 4k drives on HW raid cards though no one ever really got into details.

Of course now I've got an unknown quantity of new HD203WI's (up to 7 total) so moving to HD204UI's would be troublesome since I'd have to unload the HD203WI's. I have another HD203WI in a USB / SATA enclosure and my Dad has one in the PC I built him. I could replace the HD203WI in his system and the one in my SATA enclosure with an aligned HD204UI and have my 9 (8 + 1 spare) (assuming the remaining HW203WI's I have on order all show up and are HD203WI's not HD204UI's).

Handruin

Administrator
I'm debating ordering a few of the HD204UI 4K drives and connecting them up to my second Perc 6i to run some tests to see how bad they really are, but I don't have an equivalent to compare them to. My point being, even if I got some numbers after running tests with IOmeter, I wouldn't know what it's relative to. I think it could be a useful thing to spread around and either confirm or rebuff a problem with specific hardware raid cards like the Perc 6i and performance issues.

If you get to a point where you need to sell some of the drives, maybe I can help you out if you want to sell some of them? I am planning on getting at least three more of the 1.5 TB drives to move my 1.5 x 5 to a 1.5 x 8 and rebuild the array. Then I can move to a 2 TB drive of up to 8 more.

LunarMist

I sent them a note, they haven't replied yet. Another vendor is trying to do the same thing to me too :( Saying they only have 1 HD203WI and want to give me the HD204UI. I told them no way.

I'm pretty convinced there's no way I'm going to end up with the number of these I want. :???:

Newegg has a few in stock. :)

LunarMist

There were 6 left at $130. SD should buy them all. I have no use for F3 drives at that price. If anything I want more WD2001FASS drives. :)

Handruin

Administrator
I saw he same thing (6 left). I was actually about to order some...SD might be pissed.

Stereodude

Not really a
There were 6 left at $130. SD should buy them all. I have no use for F3 drives at that price.
I believe I'm good now.
I saw he same thing (6 left). I was actually about to order some...SD might be pissed.
Order away... I think I have enough now. I still only have 1 in my hands so I can't say for sure. Most are in transit. One way or another I will get my 9 drives (8 + spare).

FWIW, Tigerdirect has 'em in stock too for $119.99 each and shipping is pretty cheap (<$7 for 3 drives in my case).

Handruin

Administrator
I didn't end up ordering any. The price seemed kind of high for what I wanted to do, but I did end up buying three more of the Samsung EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1.5TB drives.

Stereodude

Not really a
...but I did end up buying three more of the Samsung EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1.5TB drives.
I've got 9 of those already (8 in the RAID-6 array + a spare). I don't know what I'd do with more, although I suppose I could have built another identical array instead of using the 2.0GB F3's. :cyclops:

Handruin

Administrator
This will put me at 8. I'll rebuild my current 5-drive RAID 5 to a 8-drive RAID 6. I don't know what I'll do yet to populate the remaining 8 drive bays in the future. I also ordered a new 5-in-3 hot-swap bay to fit them.

LunarMist

I fixed it!

WD has been good for me. Much better than the DOA or dying Seagates and somewhat better than the one out of five Samsungs that have bad sectors from the start.