4k TVs and Monitors

ddrueding

Fixture
I thought that was a computer monitor. Of course 50" is nothing special for a TV, which is designed to be viewed by several humans simultaneously.

Not multiple humans, just viewed from further away. The 32" is close enough that the only room on the desk in front of it is the keyboard. If I had something in the 40"@5k range I could move it to the back of the desk and have more work space.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice

Handruin

Administrator
I've still been researching this area and seen some discussions on a few newer 4K panels in the 32" range.

The BenQ BL3201PT looks interesting for the given price point (~$1000USD).

32"
3840x2160
IPS panel
DVI-DL, DP1.2, HDMI1.4, USB 3.0, Audio cable
3840x2160@60Hz from DP1.2 only
VESA mount
Speaker: 5Wx2

Has anyone read up on the upcoming Asus PA328Q panel? Looks to be decent specs but the price is rumored to be fairly high (~$1700+ USD). Supposedly it's the same panel as the BenQ linked above but has more connectivity options. I don't know when it'll be available for sale.

32"
3840x2160
IPS with 12bit LUT
VESA mount
3840 x 2160 at 60Hz (DisplayPort1.2)
3840 x 2160 at 60Hz (HDMI-1 port)
3840 x 2160 at 30Hz (HDMI-2 and HDMI-3 ports)
3840 x 2160 at 30Hz (MHL3.0)
Speakers: 3W x 2 Stereo RMS

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
^^^ Both of those look somewhat interesting but I won't be satisfied until the size get up to 40". I want size and not just higher pixel density. I believe some of the Samsung TVs do 3840 x 2160 x 60Hz with 4:4:4 chroma but I want a "dedicated" computer monitor and not a TV. And 40".

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Will be able to give initial impressions on Wed. Purchased this purely for desktop work (prob four 1080p sized browser windows). For something that was to be used for 4k blu-ray playback I would be waiting for something with HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and HDR support. Also considered the Dell 5k but my laptop only has 1 display port output and the physical 27" size isn't big enough for my needs.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm mainly frustrated that I can't get any of my current 4k monitors to do more than 30hz. Haven't worked that hard at it, but I thought DP from the Titan X supported 60.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Titan X has DP 1.2 ports, the key would be if your 4k displays have them. You may have to go into the monitor settings and switch from the default of DP 1.1 over to DP 1.2 to get the 60Hz support.

ddrueding

Fixture
Titan X has DP 1.2 ports, the key would be if your 4k displays have them. You may have to go into the monitor settings and switch from the default of DP 1.1 over to DP 1.2 to get the 60Hz support.

Brilliant. Thanks for that. The Acer B326HKs at work switched perfectly. I'll try the Dell at home tonight.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
So had the Philips 40" for a while now, and it's being picked up tomorrow to go back to Amazon for a refund. Serious shadowing on the left and top side of screen which is very apparent when a white web page is over it, and the top bezel seems to bow upwards towards the center when compared to top left and top right corners.

Would not recommend.

As for viewing distance, I think something in the 43" size would be about perfect for my config.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I still haven't found a reason to buy a 4K TV. There is nothing being broadcast in 4K. Two different Comcast employees told me Comcast is in a 'wait and see' mode. They would have to do a lot of upgrading to provide 4K to customers. The one employee said he believes that Comcast got burnt with 3D TV going nowhere. And wouldn't you need a new DVD/Blu-ray player to get 4K? And a new DVR? Satellite companies need to put up a new satellite?
Maybe they were just speculating.
I'll keep what I got.

ddrueding

Fixture
Unless you are using it as a monitor, 4k is completely unnecessary. For me, 40% of the YouTube channels I subscribe to are now offering 4k streams making a bit of a case.

Handruin

Administrator
Have there been any new announcements or releases of good 4K monitors in the past few months that are worth considering? I'm thinking about dropping the 4K idea and just find a good 1440P and call it a day.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Have there been any new announcements or releases of good 4K monitors in the past few months that are worth considering? I'm thinking about dropping the 4K idea and just find a good 1440P and call it a day.
HP have their new 4K z-Series on sale at the moment (US$755 on newegg), but there is nothing below the 27" size available via normal retail channels...

Personally waiting on 20-24" 4K screens... but nothing out there...

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Unless you are using it as a monitor, 4k is completely unnecessary. For me, 40% of the YouTube channels I subscribe to are now offering 4k streams making a bit of a case.

I suppose you would have to upgrade your video card to use a 4K monitor???

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I suppose you would have to upgrade your video card to use a 4K monitor???
GPUs that support 4K...
Intel : Generally IvyBridge or newer support... http://www.anandtech.com/show/7007/intels-haswell-an-htpc-perspective/7
AMD : http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU-14100601.aspx
Nvidia : http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/4k/supported-gpus

But, only @60Hz on DP1.2 connections. (HDMI is completely a mixed bag, and would not expect more than 30Hz in general case).

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I still haven't found a reason to buy a 4K TV. There is nothing being broadcast in 4K. Two different Comcast employees told me Comcast is in a 'wait and see' mode. They would have to do a lot of upgrading to provide 4K to customers. The one employee said he believes that Comcast got burnt with 3D TV going nowhere. And wouldn't you need a new DVD/Blu-ray player to get 4K? And a new DVR? Satellite companies need to put up a new satellite?
Maybe they were just speculating.
I'll keep what I got.

Yes, 4k blu-ray will require new players (disks can hold up to 100GB via three layers at 33GB per layer, and video is compressed using H.265 for additional efficiency). The PS4 may end up supporting it via firmware upgrade but nothing concrete yet.

Sat companies would need to provide H.265 capable set top boxes, existing sats could transmit H.265 signals.

The reason to go to 4k would be heavily influenced by your current TV size and viewing distance, if you are sitting a fair way away your eyes wont be able to resolve the additional detail. Makes most sense at projector sizes but the cheapest 4k projector starts at around $8000...

Bunch of older video cards can drive a 4k TV at 30Hz via HDMI 1.4 or Displayport to HDMI cables, which should be sufficient for video playback. For gaming 60Hz support via HDMI 2.0 would be preferable. What video card do you have now?

Once I get the Amazon refund might go for this 43" Visio 4k tv for desktop duties, $550 at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/43310252

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I'm just glad monitors are starting to get interesting again... after years of just FullHD (1080p) displays in the consumer space, it's nice to see 21:9 panels and 16:9 4K panels coming to market at last...

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm just glad monitors are starting to get interesting again... after years of just FullHD (1080p) displays in the consumer space, it's nice to see 21:9 panels and 16:9 4K panels coming to market at last...

I'd like to see some high-res 16:10 displays. I don't have the goat eyes. :(

Handruin

Administrator

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes, 4k blu-ray will require new players (disks can hold up to 100GB via three layers at 33GB per layer, and video is compressed using H.265 for additional efficiency). The PS4 may end up supporting it via firmware upgrade but nothing concrete yet.

Sat companies would need to provide H.265 capable set top boxes, existing sats could transmit H.265 signals.

The reason to go to 4k would be heavily influenced by your current TV size and viewing distance, if you are sitting a fair way away your eyes wont be able to resolve the additional detail. Makes most sense at projector sizes but the cheapest 4k projector starts at around $8000...

Bunch of older video cards can drive a 4k TV at 30Hz via HDMI 1.4 or Displayport to HDMI cables, which should be sufficient for video playback. For gaming 60Hz support via HDMI 2.0 would be preferable. What video card do you have now?

Once I get the Amazon refund might go for this 43" Visio 4k tv for desktop duties, $550 at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/43310252

NVidia GeForce GTX 460. Too old??

Stereodude

Not really a
Wow, and <$3500.
Uh, no. It's definitely not <$3.5k. It's ~$5k and not worth it IMHO. That review is pretty rose colored. The LG doesn't have enough brightness for proper HDR. It doesn't have good motion resolution because it's a sample and hold display with no strobing or BFI. It's only trick to help motion resolution is frame interpolation (soap opera effect). It has an issue with the outer few inches of pixels on the left and right not being a bright as the rest of the display. So you have a gradual fade / vignette on the sides.

OLED has a lot of potential, but I'd wait another generation or two for the bugs to be ironed out and prices to drop.

Handruin

Administrator
I decided to give the LG Electronics IPS Digital Cinema 4K Monitor 31MU97-B a try and so far it's taking a little getting used to. This is the monitor that Coug mentioned many months back. I feel like I need to scale the fonts to 125-150% because they are pretty small (yet detailed).

I still need to attach my color calibrator to it and adjust it properly but out of the box it looks really good. There is a bit of IPS glow but that's expected from most if not all IPS monitors. I'm downloading a bunch of sample 4K footage to really give it a try and see how it looks outside of Youtube's offerings. Gaming so far doesn't seem to be that bad but some of the games don't recognize the cinematic 4K resolution (4096x2160) vs what may be more typically refereed to as 4K (3840x2160).

Handruin

Administrator
Where are you finding good 4k video?

I'm only finding 4K samples to test out the playback. I can end you some links if you want to try them. I'm not downloading any movies or illegal content, just stuff shared on the web.