4k TVs and Monitors

time

Storage? I am Storage!
From the blurb for the linked 84UB9800:

One of the secrets behind LG TVs outstanding high-definition performance is the specially designed TV panel. The quality of the panel helps determine the quality of the picture, and our IPS (In-Plane Switching) panel makes any seat the best in the house, with a clearer and more consistent image at wide viewing angles compared to conventional screens.

However, note that the cheaper 84LM9600 appears to be *not* IPS!

Stereodude

Not really a
I went ahead and purchased a Samsung PN64F8500 plasma today. It should be delivered on Thursday.

In other news Samsung SDI announced late last night that they will be stopping plasma production no later than November 30th.

ddrueding

Fixture

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Crazy how cheap the monster screens are getting.

13k is cheap? I guess cheap as compared to 2-4 years ago.

Are there any newer 4K monitors for PC usage on the horizon with good specs and manageable prices?

I'm guessing 2015. I'd probably wait till the new HDMI and DP specs are established and shipping before I would drop coin on a 4k computer monitor. But I do want a larger size. 32" (31.5") is just not that much of a jump up in size from a 30" or even a 24" monitor. My dream monitor would be 36", IPS, with the new input standards, and a slightly curved screen. A SLIGHT curve so the center and edge of the screen are the same distance from my eyes.

I went ahead and purchased a Samsung PN64F8500 plasma today. It should be delivered on Thursday.

In other news Samsung SDI announced late last night that they will be stopping plasma production no later than November 30th.

Nice. Grats. That screen would piss all over my 42" Vizio. LOL.

Stereodude

Not really a
Nice. Grats. That screen would piss all over my 42" Vizio. LOL.
Thanks. I got it this morning shortly after 8am. The delivery guys literally brought it in the house and set the box on the floor where I told them, told me to sign and initial a few things on a piece of paper, and ran out the door. In contrast, the salesman at the store told me they would take the top of the box off, unbox & unwrap it enough so I could see the screen, power it on so that I could confirm it worked and didn't have a cracked screen etc, then have me fill out a form and sign it (stating that it worked and all that jazz), and then leave. Needless to say, I didn't give them the tip I had prepped in my pocket. I unboxed the TV, got it mounted on it's stand and have it running a "break-in" / pixel aging video.

I'm not particularly thrilled about the delivery experience, but I guess I would be more upset if the delivery charge was more than the $20 I paid. Of course I would be irate if the TV didn't power on or was broken / damaged. Then I'd get to argue about the form I "filled out" and signed which said it worked perfectly when they left. The timestamped security camera footage from my front door cam would probably save my bacon there as they attempted to explain how they how we did all that in the few seconds they were in the house.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm not particularly thrilled about the delivery experience, but I guess I would be more upset if the delivery charge was more than the $20 I paid. Of course I would be irate if the TV didn't power on or was broken / damaged. Then I'd get to argue about the form I "filled out" and signed which said it worked perfectly when they left. The timestamped security camera footage from my front door cam would probably save my bacon there as they attempted to explain how they how we did all that in the few seconds they were in the house.

Interesting. I've had the opposite problem. Took delivery of 6 65" TVs for a bar I'm remodeling. No storage space at the club, so I took delivery at my office. They insisted that they unpack all of them (despite no visible damage on the box) and fire them up. Of course, when I have the wall of TVs running in the lobby (and have drawn a bit of a crowd) is when the boss arrives.

ddrueding

Fixture
The explaining was pretty fast. The bar I'm remodeling is part of a local country club that he just purchased. I didn't get in as much trouble as all the employees loitering in the lobby instead of working.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks. I got it this morning shortly after 8am. The delivery guys literally brought it in the house and set the box on the floor where I told them, told me to sign and initial a few things on a piece of paper, and ran out the door. In contrast, the salesman at the store told me they would take the top of the box off, unbox & unwrap it enough so I could see the screen, power it on so that I could confirm it worked and didn't have a cracked screen etc, then have me fill out a form and sign it (stating that it worked and all that jazz), and then leave. Needless to say, I didn't give them the tip I had prepped in my pocket. I unboxed the TV, got it mounted on it's stand and have it running a "break-in" / pixel aging video.

Why did you sign the paperwork if they didn't do what they were supposed to do and the paperwork suggested you verified the TV was fine when they left?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Why did you sign the paperwork if they didn't do what they were supposed to do and the paperwork suggested you verified the TV was fine when they left?

My guess would be the in-store salesmen said SD would get delivery, install, setup, cappuccino and possibly a hand-job, but he really only got delivery. And it was sign the paper NOW or no delivery, PERIOD. Like when your food isn't perfect, you don't bitch because they'll return with spit-enhanced food. If he complained and refused delivery the $9/hour delivery driver would probably drop his TV a few times before the next delivery.

Stereodude

Not really a
Actually, I'm not sure what the paperwork suggested. I didn't really even have the opportunity to skim it. I'm guessing what it said. Mainly I didn't feel like arguing with the 2 burly strangers in my house.

Stereodude

Not really a
I got a $68.90 credit on my purchase after they put the set on sale a bit cheaper than I got it for. I also finished up my woodworking project building and finishing my custom stand + dimmable bias light.

attachment.php

attachment.php

TV_stand_sm.jpg TV_on_stand_sm.jpg

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
What's the sock puppet in the lower right corner?

And there must be something to do for the cable clutter behind the audio/video setup.

Stereodude

Not really a
The table looks nice.
Thanks. It took a lot of time and effort to make and was a pain in the butt, but it came out pretty well.

Is the picture a true representation of how bright the backlight is?
No, That's with the 17W linear fluorescent tube turned up all the way. I have it dialed down much, much dimmer than that. Here's a picture of the set with the bias light at it's brightness setting that I use. Please note that this picture is not entirely accurate to how it really looks to the eye either. It looks a bit brighter than this in person. The picture is exposed for the image on the TV. The limited dynamic range of the camera and the display you're looking at the picture on prevents an accurate portrayal.

attachment.php

IMG_2232_sm.jpg

Stereodude

Not really a
Are you enjoying the TV?
Yes, it seems to be an upgrade over my 57" Hitachi RP-CRT in pretty much every metric. It has perfect geometry, it's sharper (being fixed pixel), has much better ANSI contrast, has black levels that are at least no worse, is more watchable during the day, is bigger, etc.

I still need to calibrate the plasma. I've also yet to watch a blu-ray on the TV. So far it's basically just been broadcast HD (OTA and cable).

Stereodude

Not really a
Do you plan on using an external device to calibrate? Or just use the adjustments on the set itself?
I'm going to use my i1Display Pro + HCFR to calibrate the TV using the TV's various and numerous internal settings. After I get it dialed in as close as possible with the TV's settings I will use dispcalGUI to create a 3DLUT for madVR.

Stereodude

Not really a
I watched my first Blu-ray tonight on the plasma, Ender's Game. The movie was okay, not great, but the overall viewing experience due to the picture quality of the set was nothing short of amazing.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
LG to Unveil 34-inch 21:9 Curved IPS Monitor. Link. It's not 4k but looks like it could be an interesting gaming monitor for those that want a wide field of view but don't want a multi-monitor setup.

Stereodude

Not really a
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. I read a 1400+ post thread on AVSforum about it, and it seems much too early to draw any conclusions other than the 55" is an IPS panel not suited for dark room viewing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handruin

Administrator
I stumbled onto this Dell Ultra HD 27" 4K (P2715Q) monitor being sold for $699. I can't remember if it's been mentioned before. I kinda like the specs but wish it was $200 less.

IPS panel
3840 x 2160 at 60 Hz
Wide color coverage at 99% sRGB (deltaE <3).
LED edgelight system
1.07 billion colors
DisplayPort in
Mini DisplayPort
DisplayPort out
HDMI (MHL)
Speaker-line out
4 x USB 3.0 downstream
1 x USB upstream
VESA (100 mm)

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
"Philips BDM4065UC 40 inch UHD (‘4K’) monitor"

This looks interesting.

A 4k monitor that is 40" in size. About the same PPI as a 27" 2560x1440 screen.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Walmart is going to have the 50" Vizio 4k for $700 on Friday. Even though I've been a few places that have had the 4k Vizios, all of them had the Samsung 4ks on display and none of the Vizios were turned on, making it very difficult to compare them.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Walmart is going to have the 50" Vizio 4k for $700 on Friday. Even though I've been a few places that have had the 4k Vizios, all of them had the Samsung 4ks on display and none of the Vizios were turned on, making it very difficult to compare them.

That should be interesting if it is in the store. I wonder if there will be a body count.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I stumbled onto this Dell Ultra HD 27" 4K (P2715Q) monitor being sold for $699. I can't remember if it's been mentioned before. I kinda like the specs but wish it was $200 less.

IPS panel
3840 x 2160 at 60 Hz
Wide color coverage at 99% sRGB (deltaE <3).
LED edgelight system
1.07 billion colors
DisplayPort in
Mini DisplayPort
DisplayPort out
HDMI (MHL)
Speaker-line out
4 x USB 3.0 downstream
1 x USB upstream
VESA (100 mm)
I saw the 24" version in my local Micro Center. The color seemed much better than the other monitors. Combined with the sharpness, it was awesome. I finally couldn't see pixels (that's an issue for me even with the large screen 4K monitors). In my opinion for large form factor monitors (27" and larger) we'll need to move to 7680x4320 to resolve the pixel problems completely.

Still waiting on a 4K OLED monitor. That should be better than anything out there now.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I saw a 60" curved 4k tv the other night. I wasn't impressed. I don't understand the reasoning for it to be curved. It just looked weird.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think because it looks cool and there will be people who buy it on that basis? I don't understand the point either. The images being viewed are fundamentally rectangular. All the curve will do is distort the rectangle.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't get the curved TVs either. I've seen them in the store and I still prefer the flat versions.

LunarMist

I don't get the curved TVs either. I've seen them in the store and I still prefer the flat versions.

The early TVs were curved for focusing. Why are they bringing back curved displays again?

Handruin

Administrator
The early TVs were curved for focusing. Why are they bringing back curved displays again?

Those were curved the opposite direction. I'm unsure why these new displays are curved. I'll guess it's for marketing.

The one application I've seen it make sense is with one of the LG monitors that are super wide ratio since we would sit closer.

LunarMist

Those were curved the opposite direction. I'm unsure why these new displays are curved. I'll guess it's for marketing.

The one application I've seen it make sense is with one of the LG monitors that are super wide ratio since we would sit closer.

About 20-25 years ago I recall some computer monitors were slightly concave, but surely a large TV is not for close viewing. :scratch: