4k TVs and Monitors

ddrueding

Fixture
An 80" screen viewed from 10' might benefit from being curved. Of course, that is so different from the view the director had in mind I can't imagine the experience optimal. Maybe for 3D?

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I can see how a curved screen can add to the gamer's experience. Most first-person games feel like we have a pair of horse blinders on our faces at all times because we have no semblance of peripheral vision.

Handruin

Administrator
This is the curved 34" 21:9 ratio LG 34UC97-S (3440x1440) I mentioned in my earlier post.

02_IPS.jpg

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I can see how a curved screen can add to the gamer's experience. Most first-person games feel like we have a pair of horse blinders on our faces at all times because we have no semblance of peripheral vision.

The ones I've seen aren't curved enough to help your peripheral vision. Unless your nose is only 4" from the screen.
They are only curved enough to be annoying.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
A computer monitor is sexy? Apparently in Asia they have different standards for inanimate objects. :(

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
4K monitor Acer B6 B326HK YMJDPPHZ (Yes that's the goofy model number)

32" 4K IPS monitor for sale here and here.
Linus YouTube review here.
Acer link here.

If this was 36" I'd be very close to pulling the trigger.

LunarMist

Do the monitors achieve 4K with a KVM? I'm thinking of buying two new displays, a normal resolution 24" display for working on and a 4k unit for displaying the images instead of printing them. I've reached the conclusion that working on a 4K monitor will not be feasible due to the size of icons and other fixed elements in some software.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You're pretty much going to have to connect a 4k screen via Displayport I think. 2 port KVM models are affordable. 4 port models cost more than a decent laptop.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm running synergy which might work if you have the room for the extra monitors. I actually need all my monitors so it's not a problem.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The ideal monitor for JTR has arrived. 5120x2880 (5k) in a 27" package. Cheapest I can find it is $2100 though.

If I could afford it, I really would like to try this monitor. However, I do prefer multiple screens at 20" or 24" each. One of my favorite monitors is my old Dell 20" with a resolution of 1600 x 1200. There's nothing better than 1200 lines or more to avoid excess scrolling. Of course at 2880... :)

ddrueding

Fixture
I almost added a rib at the end that you wouldn't be interested until it dropped to a crazy low price. The price I was going to use was $500 :p

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I almost added a rib at the end that you wouldn't be interested until it dropped to a crazy low price. The price I was going to use was $500 :p
Well, prices for lower end 4K monitors are starting to get under $500 even now. There's the Dell UltraSharp UP2414Q I was seriously considering eventually which is now around $800. Like everything else in this business, early adopters pay more, those who wait might get it at 25% of what the early adopters paid. Anyway, funny you picked $500. :cool: I guess you know my spending habits well.

Perfect for burning in and ruining in short order.
I wonder if that would be a problem with OLED? If so, then we'll see a return of screensavers. :) You know the old saying everything old is new again.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
You might be right but I suspect at this stage OLED is more mature. Regardless, a technology which emits light is superior to one which selectively filters a backlight, like LCD, in terms of contrast and viewing angle.

Stereodude

Not really a
I wonder if that would be a problem with OLED? If so, then we'll see a return of screensavers. :) You know the old saying everything old is new again.
Yes, just like Plasma. IMHO it's not a suitable display technology for a computer monitor. People's OLED displays in their phones experience burn-in and they're not on as many hours as a computer monitor.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
The ideal monitor for JTR has arrived. 5120x2880 (5k) in a 27" package. Cheapest I can find it is $2100 though.

Damn the 27" size.

I want a larger size of 36-40" at my current DPI, not the same small size and higher DPI. I already need reading glasses as it is.

Oh and 5120x3200 (16:10) would be even better but I know that there probably wont be anything other than 16:9 that's under $5k any time soon/ever.

But at least we are getting the higher resolution.....now all we need is larger sizes.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm interested in a monitor like this Asus MG279Q 27-inch WQHD IPS At 120+Hz. It's seemingly impossible to find the ideal monitor for all situations so if I can get a decent IPS gaming monitor at 120-144Hz with decent colors and quality I'd be happy. Most monitors at this refresh rate are TN and there is even question if this monitor is a true IPS panel given the speeds. I can use my other Dell 24" IPS for more visual work if/when needed or maybe spring for a 4K monitor that's not as ideal for gaming.

ddrueding

Fixture
I bought the first Seiki 4k TV when it came out, and had numerous issues with it. Many could be chalked up to just being a super-new standard that wasn't sufficiently supported. That said, it was a negative experience.

Handruin

Administrator
I'd like to own this new LG 4K monitor. Maintream resolution or not.

After looking back through this thread, I feel like this monitor never really got any attention after you posted it. I've been looking into it and Amazon has it $300 less than everywhere else. It looks to be a fantastic monitor in this area.

Stereodude

Not really a
After looking back through this thread, I feel like this monitor never really got any attention after you posted it. I've been looking into it and Amazon has it $300 less than everywhere else. It looks to be a fantastic monitor in this area.
IMHO, the specs are too vague. What version of Displayport does it use? Does it support SST or MST? What is the HDMI version?

Handruin

Administrator
IMHO, the specs are too vague. What version of Displayport does it use? Does it support SST or MST? What is the HDMI version?

DisplayPort 1.2
This is an SST monitor.
4096x2160 @ 60Hz possible via DisplayPort connector
4096x2160 @ 24Hz possible via HDMI (which I assume means HDMI 1.4)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for noticing. BTW, two online stores North of the border (here and here) sell it for less than amazon.com does, once you factor the currency convertion (~1.00U$ = 1.25$CDN). Both list it as being in stock. It's rare, but for once, I could grab something for less than you Americans can.

A new monitor isn't in my priorities now though. My main system is getting long in the tooth. I'm thinking about something with a Xeon D-1540 with a dedicated graphic card, but that's a tale for another thread.

Handruin

Administrator
That's a nice surprise. Am I confusing the math or wouldn't it be more expensive for you unless if you're getting paid in USD? If I bought the one monitor you linked to, it would cost me $963.42 USD but it would cost you $1222.27 CDN.

The Xeon D-1540 looks like it would be a nice setup for you. I look forward to reading your build thread.

LunarMist

If that were always the answer, there wouldn't be a market for 50"+ TVs.

I thought that was a computer monitor. Of course 50" is nothing special for a TV, which is designed to be viewed by several humans simultaneously.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
That's a nice surprise. Am I confusing the math or wouldn't it be more expensive for you unless if you're getting paid in USD? If I bought the one monitor you linked to, it would cost me $963.42 USD but it would cost you $1222.27 CDN.
I admit I don't follow here. I was compairing me paying ~1223$CDN versus you paying ~1025U$. Yes, you probably could buy the unit from North of the border with U$ currency, although the bank is sure to swallow 2.5% to 3.5% of the convertion in the process, but that's not what I wanted to underline.

I won't build a new system before this Fall at the earliest. We'll see then.