>500GB Drives

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What does that mean for external devices that format the drives themselves, e.g., Nexto, Hyperdrive, etc.?

LunarMist

True enough. Draw a new prediction at something just over 1TB?

Probably, but I suspect that four 1TB SSDs will be $6-8K compared to $450-500 for four 1TB HDs. One could buy about 1TB of fast CF cards for the same price by that time.

LunarMist

I'm not sure. The 750GB drive needs to have two partitions, one 10GB for the OS/apps and one for data. I need to restore it from True Image and be able to create and restore it in the future.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
So it is formatted as FAT32 or NTFS?

The drive itself is backwards compatible, in a transparent manner.

Of course you can check this when you verify that you can in fact restore successfully. Always best to check out how things work in practice before they are needed in times of crisis.

LunarMist

I'm so confused. The advancing format 750GB drive seems to work (boots normally) without any special alignment in XP32. Is it only a performance issue?

The WD alignment runs from an ISO, but of course the notebook now has two HDs and no opticals. I'll have to dig up an old USB 5.25" enclosure.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
I'm so confused. The advancing format 750GB drive seems to work (boots normally) without any special alignment in XP32. Is it only a performance issue?

The WD alignment runs from an ISO, but of course the notebook now has two HDs and no opticals. I'll have to dig up an old USB 5.25" enclosure.
Only a performance issue; extra read/writes when clusters bridge 4K sectors. Essentially the same issue as unaligned SSDs.

LunarMist

Ultimately I used the Pargon software to realign the partitions as used this notebook. It was also necessary to replace the True Image with the 2010 version. I'm not sure if it is faster, the same, or slower, but I am finished with this nonsense.

LunarMist

I tried the AF drive in a PSD and it is sucky slow. :blue: I forsee many compatibility hassles with various devices until the AF standard becomes fully supported.

LunarMist

So today there is a new 750GB @ 7200 RPM Monumentus drive from Seagate. I wonder if it is worth a damn. The 500GB 7200 RPM Seagate was no faster than a good 5400 RPM drive. :cheers:

LunarMist

What is the story with the external 750GB drives? Is this Canvio a standard height drive?

LunarMist

:eek: It may have been oddly copied from an Outlook e-mail link through the clipboard. I have not been to movie in the US theatres for a long time, before DiCarpio. Maybe the film will be on cable in 2011.

LunarMist

Now the price drops again. Why does that always the happen right after I place an order? :-x

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The "K"'s platters rotate at 5200rpm versus 5400rpm for the "B"'s. That's not a typo on Newegg's web site as it is confirmed on Western Digital's web site. Apart from that, I don't see any difference. Maybe the "K" has a different platter number and areal density per platter, but I don't see the information anywhere.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Sieving the available info, this is my theory:

The WD7500KPVT is a cut-down WD10TPVT terabyte drive, i.e. three platters and a thickness of 12.5mm. Whether it's short-stroked or lower density, I can't tell - WD quotes a single transfer rate regardless of capacity or model.

WD's nomenclature appears to be "B" for binary platters, as in WD7500BPVT (9.5mm), and "T" for ternary platters, as in WD10TPVT. My guess was that "K" lies half way between B and T in the alphabet, and that proves to be the case exactly.

No idea how much - if any - of this is true, but that's life when you're dealing with WDC.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd bet even money that SSDs beat 2.5" spinning platters to 750GB.

I'm quite confident that SSDs will beat platter-based drives to 750GB, and that 1TB 2.5" spinning disks will not even be a mainstream consideration.

CougTek;July 27 said:
WD ships first 2.5" 1TB hard drive

I may have been off, but not by as much as many around here thought.

So, a year later, the largest SSD in 2.5" form factor from NewEgg is 512GB and costs $1400. A 500GB 2.5" spinning-platter drive costs $60.

:smile:

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Of course...

Hands in the air and back away from the keyboard slowly...

:)

LunarMist

I don't understand the comparison of HD vs. SSD with LCDs. :scratch: