80mm ->92mm convertor + fan == better temps?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Is it worth doing? an 80mm ->92mm convertor plus a low speed 92mm case fan looks like it can increase cfm while decreasing noise. Does it work or does the converter choke-off the air flow? It certainly is much cheaper than an the traditional method of buying a high performance fan plus heat skink combination.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Every worthy site that I've ever seen review those adapters arrived at the conclusion that they were a waste of money and didn't help temperatures significantly.

It has been a few years since I've read one of those reviews but would doubt anything has changed.

We had a discussion at SR over them in the pre-disaster days.

The best bet remains a high efficiency heatsink that accomodates a large low-noise fan.

ddrueding

Fixture
I highly recomend the Scythe SCNJ-1000 with no fan. The problem with the size adapters it the backpressure reduces the airflow.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Damn. A P180 + Scyth Ninja. Beautiful. I think I know what I want my next CPU to be surrounded by.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
That's what I have. If you want to see any pics of what the layout ends up looking like, let me know..

C

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
It's a shame that the converters's don't work well. They really would be a convienant and cost effective solution.

I'm finding that while running F@H the stock cooling for X2 4600+ are running too hot (61-64 celcius) for my comfort level and the fans are too whiney at their maximum 5100rpms. I don't think I need a crazy level of cooling, but I'd really like to get it down to the middle 50's and drop the noise a bit too.

The Scythe heat sinks look enormous and obviously, they would need a fan. I really don't expect or demand a totally fanless design and the Scythe specifications explicitly say that the fanless designs are for low to medium usage applications. My association with enormous heat-sinks are that they very annoying to install: correct?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Just as a side question. How does one determine if a computer is being thermally throttled?

ddrueding

Fixture
This heatsink has really amazing thermal capabilities. I'm overclocking/overvolting up the wazoo while loading at 100% for hours on end and I don't have a fan mounted on the heatsink. Of course, I am using a P180 chassis with a pair of 120mm fans @ 500rpm in close proximity. P180 + SCNJ-1000 is the only way to go for effective quiet cooling; it's such amazing overkill.

The heatsink is mildly annoying to install, in that it requires motherboard removal and a swap of the stock frame for one provided, but you only do that once per machine, and it's quiet and cool all the time ;)

Groltz

I am using a Thermalright SI-120 on my overclocked 4800+ X2. Very simple to install, it didn't require the motherboard to be removed from the case. All that's needed is to attach the supplied mount to the motherboard's existing backplate with screws, the heatsink clips onto the mount.

In tests, the SI-120 runs neck-and-neck with the Scythe Ninja in cooling ability. I use a 120 x 38mm Delta fan through a rheostat, it is quiet at the setting I use and I can raise the fan RPM for additional cooling if the room temperature gets too warm.

The SI-120 received design improvements and was re-released as the SI-128, which is the current model.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
After checking out the Scythe Ninja and the ThermalRight SI-120, I bought the SI-120. I've burned the m/c in, but haven't had the chance to use the m/c extensively. Will be reasembling the CKD (after moving) soon.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
After checking out the Scythe Ninja and the ThermalRight SI-120, I bought the SI-120. I've burned the m/c in, but haven't had the chance to use the m/c extensively. Will be reasembling the CKD (after moving) soon.
I must not be a l337 haXor anymore as I'm lost with the acronyms.
m/c? muther chucker?

CKD? Chronic kidney disease? Chuckwagon killing device?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
An adapter to 90mm would be helpful, but, as mentioned, not really worth your effort. If you want cooler and quieter, you want to go with a bigger heatsink, particularly, if you have the headroom, one with a 120mm fan.

I have a Scythe Ninja on one processor in my system, and a SI-120 on the other. The processor with the SI-120 runs cooler, but mainly that because, to my surprise, I was able to run the Ninja without a fan.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Sheesh, guys. I can forgive Adcadet, but you should know better, Groltz.

m/c = machine. In this context, PC.

CKD = Complete Knocked Down. A fully assembled, working machine (or automobile) is dis-assembled into it's component parts and shipped. It is then re-assembled at the destination for sale / use. May also refer to all of the parts of such a machine (which has never been assembled) being shipped together for assmbly at the destination. See here for Wikipedia's take, which I disagree somewhat with.

I just moved, and did a CKD of all my PCs. I haven't had the time to retrieve the various boxes (components got scattered into different moving boxes, partly by design) and re-assemble my m/cs. :twistd:

Handruin

Administrator
I have to admit, I never knew what m/c was until now...I just didn't have the heart to ask. :-D Nor did I know CKD...for me, CKD has always been Count-Key-Data in terms of a storage system structure at work for main frames.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Bozo, Tannin, mubs, time and Buck, paugie and Groltz are all older-ish members.
Clocker's somewhere between, as are Cougtek and Fushigi.
Pradeep, myself and Handruin are all around the same age, a bit younger.
ddrueding is the young 'un.

I'd say the average age of members is probably closer to 40 than 30.
If that makes anyone feel better.

Groltz

Sheesh, guys. I can forgive Adcadet, but you should know better, Groltz.

m/c = machine. In this context, PC.

CKD = Complete Knocked Down.

I've never seen either of those. :dunno:

They're not used in the aviation maintenance field.

-Stephen (Age 37)
heh.gif

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Mainly for Adcadt:

Here's how my setup looked before I got rid of my two 7900GTs and replaced them with a single XT1900XTX:

http://www.kevandshan.com/pics/ninja.jpg

I only use the rear fan. The upper fan is disabled and the 80mm fan is held on to the ninja with some threaded rod and wing-nuts. It only spins at 600-700 RPM so I can't hear it at all. Sometimes the RPM monitoring on the m/b won't even see it.

So, the 80mm fan blows air through the ninja and the rear fan tries to suck it out. The tiny fan on the n/b heatpipe heatsink only spins at about 2000 rpm (temp controlled like the others) so I can't hear it, either.

You can see that the placement of the two 120mm fans is perfect for the ninja.

I wish there was a nice cooling solution for the 1900XTX. It's really the only thing I can hear (gets noisy while gaming and during boot up).

C

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Thanks, Clocker. I saw that Outpost has the P180s on sale for $99 shipped, and I just placed my order. They're back ordered, but I won't have time to even think about building a system for another 9 weeks.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
DD is the smartypants for deducing the meaning from the context (I'm sure the others did too, but he claimed it first).

I am *really* surprised Clocker and Groltz didn't know about CKD. It's very common in the auto industry, and I'd think many complex aviation assemblies are shipped CKD and put together at the destination. Guess I guessed wrong.

Groltz

Guess I guessed wrong.

For airline flight-line maintenance, time is of the essence. Parts come ready-to-install with no assembly required, typically. Sometimes hydraulic fittings, brackets, and such must be transferred from the old part to the new one but that is usually about it.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I went out and bought an Antec p180 case to replace an old poorly designed ATX case that just couldn't keep the temps down. Fiddling with case fans and regreasing just wasn't soling the problem. I have to say, I like the new case except for the fact of no speaker. It also fixed the temp and noise problems. The old case couldn't keep the temp below 70 (where it would alram and I'd shut everything down) with both cores folding and it was 62 with one core folding and the CPU fan maxed out at 5113RPM's. Just swapping out the case to the P180 decreased the temp to a steady 56 with both cores folding and with the cpu fan now running at 2400RPM's. I also disabled one of the case fans as unnecessary and the other two 120mm case fans are running at low speed: each fan has a 3-way switch.

I have to say, I'm impressed with the cooling and noise capability of the p180 case. It did far more than I expected. As far as consumer level (non server) cases go, it is rather expensive ($114. US shipped) without a PS. But I guess you get what you pay for. For the money, they really need to add a speaker though: Yeah, I understand, it makes noise but it is noise that you really want to hear, if you need it and nothing requires that it be plugged in, if you don't want it.

Handruin

Administrator
This may be a long-shot, but try e-mailing antec about the speaker. When I bought my P180 it shipped with the wrong drive rails for the floppy drive so I e-mailed tech support for new rails and with no questions asked they shipped me out new rails. If you ask them for a speaker they may send it to you. Worst thing they could say is no...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
They sent me a whole new side panel (free of charge) when one of the tabs broke on my P180. Never even asked me to send them the old one. Their CS on their cases is pretty good for the most part.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Fan died in my SLK1650. Local shop wouldn't warrant it (they should have) so I called Antec. Shipped me a new one no questions asked.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I recieved an answer from Antec:

Antec Customer Support - John Bowen said:

Trouble Ticket ID: 61238
Description: There is no speaker hookup
-------------------------------------------------------
Please be advised that the status on your trouble ticket
has been changed from Acknowledged to Waiting on Customer
with the following comment:
Comment: you can get the speaker from your mb maker
To reply to this comment directly, please click on the link below:
http://www.exdesk.com/Antec/USA,Canada/index.cfm?addcomment=yes
Status changed by: John Bowen

Since, the trouble ticket had been changed to awaiting customer comment -- I choose to

Mark Turner said:
Sorry to disagree, but speakers have always been a case part not supplied by the motherboard manufacturer. The reason being is that the speaker has to be mounted in the case and each case has its own mounting method. Supposed I did get a speaker from the MB manufacturer, how do I mount it in your case especially since you don't know what size the speaker the MB manufacturer sent me (there is no speaker size standard)? Are you really saying that with the p180 case, Antec doesn't supply a speaker and the mounting accessory? Other Antec cases have them. I know that, because I have several other Antec cases.

At which I immediately got a response (Within 5 minutes):

Antec Customer Support -- John Brown said:

Please be advised that a comment has been added to your trouble ticket:
Trouble Ticket ID: 61238
Description: There is no speaker hookup
Comment By: John Bowen
Comment: the case does not come with speakers or a place to mount them you are talking the speaker for hearing the beeps I can send you a beep speaker but it will just laid on your mb
To reply to this comment directly, please click on the link below:
http://www.exdesk.com/Antec/USA,Canada/index.cfm?addcomment=yes
Regards,
customersupport@antec.com

At this point I simply responded:
Mark Turner said:
If there is no way to mount the speaker, then don't bother sending me a beep speaker. I am not interested in simply laying the speaker against my motherboard: That would be a very unprofessional install.

ddrueding

Fixture
1) I've been removing speakers from cases for years. I can't remember the last time someone actually wanted it.

2) I have a number of speakers mounted on very short wires (1cm?) to the header. They are designed to plug diectly in the mobo and support themselves. I believe they shipped with some Intel mobos I purchased a while ago.

If you are interested, I can ship you one or post a pic if I remember when I'm home.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Thanks for the offer, but no need (I can deal). While, the original purpose of the beep speaker is really only needed during the MB install process, I find that it is appropiate also for long-term temp/voltage/fan monitoring. The alternative solution is to use out-of band communication like E-Mail or even playing wave-files instead of the beep speaker.

Really, it is a question that Antec really should be supplying beep speakers on all their cases. It almost feels principal like. Some may feel comfortable removing the speaker from their installs, but that is not conserative me. From one who still installs floppy drives on everything ...