Beverages

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
e_dawg said:
Buck said:
Hmmm. Lime=sugar; rum=sugar; alcohol=sugar. I can feel your pain. :mrgrn:

Can you explain why sugar = hangover? Are you referring to the nausea and headache or are you referring to the digestive problems (which excess sugar will cause)? Acetaldehyde is the main thing that causes hangovers, not sugar.

Nausea, which I was plagued with for almost a whole year due to digestive problems unrelated to alcohol. It was horrible. Imagine having a hangover every day, and you aren't even drinking alcohol. One of the prescriptions from my doctor to help relieve the cause of my symptoms was to avoid sugar, especially refined sugar. He explained that sugar was depleting my body of minerals, such as zinc (zinc being required to make castric acid, which I wasn't producing enough of). Sure enough, after following all of his prescribed dietary changes, the problem went away -- no drugs required. So, after having this type of problem, I can certainly feel the pain of a nauseating hangover.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Buck said:
(zinc being required to make castric acid, which I wasn't producing enough of)
Shouldn't it be gastric acid? I've never heard about castric acid. If it isn't a typo, what part of our body stocks castric acid?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CougTek said:
Buck said:
(zinc being required to make castric acid, which I wasn't producing enough of)
Shouldn't it be gastric acid? I've never heard about castric acid. If it isn't a typo, what part of our body stocks castric acid?

Castric acid comes from the casterium gland located where the duodenum terminates at the duodenojejunal flexure with the jejunum. Because it is suspended by the ligament of Treitz, it is susceptible to gyrations from the mesentery of the small intestines.

:roll: IT'S A FREAKIN' TYPO! I had Tea type that post. :D

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Just enjoyed a cigar along with some Fonseca Bin 27 port and good conversation with my buddy from college. The port was great (as usual), the cigar kindof sucked, the conversation was good. I generally shy away from brands that use a Cuban name on a non-Cuban cigar (Bolivar, in this case), except for Romeo y Julieta (the Dominican brand can be decent, although I do prefer the Cuban), but I made an exception since this cigar was recommended by a guy I trust. Oh well, two out of three isn't bad. Yes, the cigar thing is a bit contradictory to my research background.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Buck said:
Castric acid comes from the casterium gland located where the duodenum terminates at the duodenojejunal flexure with the jejunum. Because it is suspended by the ligament of Treitz, it is susceptible to gyrations from the mesentery of the small intestines.
:eekers:
Hey Buck - do you have a medical background, or are you just quick with Google and BS?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
LunarMist said:
Santilli said:
In Barbados, we had a LOT of fresh ground lime, ice, and Mount Gay rum. Fantastic!!!

How long were you in Barbados? I lived in the Caribbean for 12 months, and yes there was rum, rum, and more rum.

We went down 12-26-1999, for the Mill new year. We ended us staying until about the 21st of January.

The story behind that one IS the most incredible travel story I've EVER been through, and, after surfing 15-25 foot waves on the North Shore of Oahu, and visiting Japan like it was another island in the chain, that's saying something...

GS :wink:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
time said:
Wolf Blass (the man) is a larger than life character who, apart from being a great winemaker, is infamous for creating Rene Pogel sparkling burgundy.

The name bears some scrutiny. :wink:

Upon rereading this thread, I wondered if anyone actually worked out why he dubbed it Rene Pogel?

Try spelling it backwards ...

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
time said:
time said:
Wolf Blass (the man) is a larger than life character who, apart from being a great winemaker, is infamous for creating Rene Pogel sparkling burgundy.

The name bears some scrutiny. :wink:

Upon rereading this thread, I wondered if anyone actually worked out why he dubbed it Rene Pogel?

Try spelling it backwards ...

A play on Pol Roger? :eekers:

:wink: :p :lol: :rofl:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
fb said:
Have you tried Auchentoshan 10 or the Glenlivet 12? Otherwise, they are both a great introduction to the whisky world.

Thanks for the tip fb. I purchased a bottle of Auchentoshan 21 year, and it is very good Lowland Scotch. Although, currently I prefer something slightly sweeter like Dalmore.

I also purchased some Hennessy Paradis Extra -- WOW! That stuff is great! Hopefully, sometime during my life, I'll be able to try Hennessy Richard and Remy Martin Louis XIII.

fb

Storage is cool
Thank you, I haven't tried the 21 myself, but it almost sounds like I have to do that. :D I must admit though that I'm usually more fond of the stuff they make on Islay, maybe with the exceptions of Bunnahabain and Caol Ila (at least the varieties I've tried so far.)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Tried a nice Auslese Riesling the other day: 2003 Balthazar Ress from the Rheingau region in a half-bottle. Pretty sweet as it is affected by botrytis, but it also has a wonderful aromatic lingering finish.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
On the lower end of the spectrum, found a cask of "hard" iced tea, 1.3 gallons aka 14 standard drinks, for less than $10. Sits in the fridge with it's little tap ready for instant pourings :)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
e_dawg said:
Tried a nice Auslese Riesling the other day: 2003 Balthazar Ress from the Rheingau region in a half-bottle. Pretty sweet as it is affected by botrytis, but it also has a wonderful aromatic lingering finish.

Sounds good e_dawg. How do you know that it is infected with noble rot?

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
Isn't everything Auslese and up botrytis affected?

Just happened to pick up a basic Balthazar Ress Rheingau Riesling yesterday when I was getting my bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau. I've had some nice wine from this producer.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
JKKJ said:
Isn't everything Auslese and up botrytis affected?

Just happened to pick up a basic Balthazar Ress Rheingau Riesling yesterday when I was getting my bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau. I've had some nice wine from this producer.

Most certainly not. The sweetness for QmP, such as Auslese, Beeren Auslese, and Eiswein typically comes from the appropriate exposure to freezing temperatures.

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
So much to learn, so little time.

sip Must do more...slurp...researsh...glug...

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
e_dawg, you're not wrong for thinking that it happens. Botrytis happens with QmP wines, but is not used as the typical means for sweetening wine. Whereas there are wines, notably French varieties, that employ noble rot as a fundamental source for increasing natural sugar content while drying out the grape.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Also had an excellent 2002 Rosemount Estates Shiraz recently after an Ironstone Merlot that was a little disappointing compared to my reference Merlot (2001 and 2002 Rutherford Hill)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Tried a bunch of wines tonight at the Food & Wine show. At the German Wines section, I tried 5 Rieslings -- 2 Kabinett, 2 Spatlese, and 1 Auslese. Coincidentally, the Auslese was the 2003 Balthasar Ress Rheingau Auslese that I mentioned above. Easily the class of the field, but it was also easily the most expensive wine in that section.

I wish I could say that some of the others were a better value, but I didn't really like them at all. I might be able to find a good bargain Cab -- Black Opal seems to have a nice cab for the $ -- but I can't say that I have found any value priced Rieslings that I find enjoyable.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Buck said:
e_dawg said:
Sounds good e_dawg. How do you know that it is infected with noble rot?

Well I read a review of it online once upon a time that mentioned it, and honestly don't know enough to question the veracity of that statement.

I found the article which mentioned the botrytis infection of the 2003 Balthasar Ress Auslese Riesling:

Vintages.com said:
914226 RIESLING AUSLESE 2003 $ 27.95

QmP, Hattenheimer Nussbrunnen, Est. Btld. (MS) 375 mL
(Balthasar Ress)

This Riesling has been affected by the desired version of the botrytis fungus, thus giving the wine more flavour and dimension. The 2003 vintage is causing a great deal of excitement in the wine press. Even with this level of sweetness, expect it to have a well-developed seam of acidity to balance the impactful fruit, indicating exceptional ageing potential.

http://www.vintages.com/circular/2/white.html

Vintages is the eonophile division of the LCBO, Ontario's liquor control board.

Imbiber

What is this storage?
I'm a scotch drinker myself (although a good xtra dry martini usually hits the spot). I find Chivas, Pinch and Glenlivet all pleasant. I haven't had many higher end products such as Dalmore, Glenfiddich and such. Did try Laphroaig and Johnny Walker Green. Didn't care for either.

Does anyone know where or how to get Lochanora in the US? It's not imported here anymore. I have an uncle turning 100 years old in March of this year and this was always his favorite liqueur. I am trying to get it for his special day.

Thank You,
Imbiber

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm a scotch drinker myself (although a good xtra dry martini usually hits the spot). I find Chivas, Pinch and Glenlivet all pleasant. I haven't had many higher end products such as Dalmore, Glenfiddich and such. Did try Laphroaig and Johnny Walker Green. Didn't care for either.

Does anyone know where or how to get Lochanora in the US? It's not imported here anymore. I have an uncle turning 100 years old in March of this year and this was always his favorite liqueur. I am trying to get it for his special day.

Thank You,
Imbiber

It looks like you can order it here and have it shipped to the US. It's not cheap though.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Never did try JW Green Label. Glenlivet's ok.

I really do like JW Blue label. Don't often have it, too expensive.

ddrueding

Fixture
Everyone has been talking about whiskey, so I figured I would try some. I bought a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black (12yr) and am trying it straight, rocks, and water-back (or however you call it). All of them make me do that head-shaking thing that sorority girls get teased for. More details to come.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Not an alcoholic beverage, but I picked up a case of Monster's Java energy drinks the other day. If you like iced coffee drinks these have a decent kick to them, although it's probably more of an acquired taste. To stay hydrated I've been drinking a lot of Propel water. Definitely the best-tasting of the 'fitness waters' out there.

Alcohol-wise I've been sipping some Spanish Sherry lately.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Indiana finally got its first Jamba Juice last year, about 20 miles from where I live. I love the big fruity and expensive milkshakes. I stop in those places whenever I see one now.