Cases

Handruin

Administrator
I feel like chatting about random case stuff. Has anyone used/tried or considering the Corsair 600T? I think it looks really nice and seems to be functional too. I like how all the holes allow for cable routes and also how the plate behind the motherboard is open to allow a person to add a new heat sink that requires a back plate without having to take out the motherboard.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Thanks for bringing this up, Handy. I too am thinking about the Corsair 600T for my next system build, which I'm thinking will be in Q1 2011 with a Sand Bridge processor. If you haven't seen Tech Report's review, check it out: http://techreport.com/articles.x/19638 They seemed to like it very well. It looks like Tech Report's is silver where the one you link is black.

Does anybody know what the difference between the older Antec P180 vs newer P183 is? Is the P193 simply a P193+side fan? Anybody use the Sonata 3? All of the above are on my shortlist for the above mentioned build.

ddrueding

Fixture
183 has some basic improvements re fan placement and some wire guide clips. 193 is considerably larger, including side fan and (iirc) a second top fan.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The big improvement in the Antec 183 is the removal of the steel plate between the power supply and hard drives. They also added a fan between the front of the case and the lower hard drives.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Would the need to route cables through the side of the case (other side of the motherboard) lead to problems with cables that aren't long enough? I almost had some cables that didn't reach in my P180.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Based on the published dimensions (which I tried to crosscheck), the Corsair 600T is a huge case; I calculate 80 liters! The depth could be a real problem, it's almost 600mm.

Does this mean you guys are looking for a case to accommodate six 3.5 drives?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
4 3.5" hard drives, one SSD, room for more, and plenty of breathing room. Since cases last so long, it would be nice to have room for future additions. The two 200 mm fans are a nice bonus, even if I'm not overclocking my next build.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Would the need to route cables through the side of the case (other side of the motherboard) lead to problems with cables that aren't long enough? I almost had some cables that didn't reach in my P180.

You have to run the cables behind the motherboard.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Sure. I'm wondering if that, plus the motherboard location, can create problems with cables that are too short.

Handruin

Administrator
The big improvement in the Antec 183 is the removal of the steel plate between the power supply and hard drives. They also added a fan between the front of the case and the lower hard drives.

I own both the P-180 and P-183. The big improvement for me in the P-183 was the space behind the motherboard tray to run cables easily which made for a cleaner build inside. The removal of the steel plate in the bottom was also nice, making it easier to fit my power supply. I also feel like the general build quality is better in the P-183 than my P-180. The side paneling on my P-180 has bubbled out and disconnect from the inner part in certain spots. The P-183 is very quiet (subjectively of course).

Handruin

Administrator
Based on the published dimensions (which I tried to crosscheck), the Corsair 600T is a huge case; I calculate 80 liters! The depth could be a real problem, it's almost 600mm.

Does this mean you guys are looking for a case to accommodate six 3.5 drives?

I think the depth was intentional to fit the longer video cards. Why do you say this could be a problem? Yes, I would like to easily fit 4-6 drive inside my workstation case. Right now I have 3 in my P-183 and soon to have my 4th and wouldn't mind having room for more.

Last edited:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Not a technical problem, just a PITA trying to find a location for it where it doesn't get in the way. :)

Mid-towers are normally 470-500mm deep. With traditional layout, you have to sacrifice extra hard drives if you want to fit an oversized graphics card such as a 5970 (300-315mm). The Corsair is not only deep but so amazingly wide that you could practically fit the graphics card alongside the drives. ;)

Of course, I think traditional layouts are just plain stupid. Why do we need more than one 5.25" bay? Why don't cases have internal mountings for 2.5" drives?

For a case that will fit everything, I like the look of the Lian Li X2000: Six hot-swap bays, room for any imaginable future graphics card (340mm), yet just 3/4 of the depth. By my reckoning, it should just squeeze under most desks.

Of course, the price is heart-stopping ... :(

Adcadet

Storage Freak
For a case that will fit everything, I like the look of the Lian Li X2000: Six hot-swap bays, room for any imaginable future graphics card (340mm), yet just 3/4 of the depth. By my reckoning, it should just squeeze under most desks.

Of course, the price is heart-stopping ... :(

Wow, for that kind of money ($500 on Newegg) you think they would include a nice power supply...and a tap for draft beer.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Probably not what you guys are looking for, but I felt obliged to respond to my own complaint.

I see that In Win Dragon Slayer addresses some of my criticisms. You can use an oversized graphics card yet still have 3-4 3.5" drives as well as a 2.5" drive, all in a 36 liter case with 426mm depth.

Surely there are other affordable cases out there that organize components in a sensible way?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I just check the measurements of a P180 compared to the Lian Li X2000.

The Lian Li has about the same depth (front to back), is about an inch wider, and is a whopping 7" taller. Zow-wee :eek:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Not quite, it's 2.6" shallower and 6" taller (7" when compared to the P183).

Did everyone notice that the optical drive is on the side rather than the front? This means you can position the case sideways on your desk behind your monitor(s) and still have direct access to the optical drive, as well as having much easier access to all the back panel ports.

In this configuration it only takes up 230mm of desk depth - which if behind a monitor is probably unused anyway. Personally, I think this offset idea is the way of the future.

Alternatively, there's the little brother, the X1000. It doesn't have the offset optical drive or the hot-swap bays, but it adds two 2.5" mounts and shrinks the height by 1.1" and the depth by 1.7". That's just 2/3 the depth of the Corsair and makes its footprint just 59% as big!

Still heart-attack pricing though ... :(

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
$174.84 pre order at Amazon with free shipping.

As most case fan are exposed anyway, would it be that much louder?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I saw the video. S.L.I? I've always said SLI, never spelled the individual letters. Is the girl narrating the case description talking with the wrong pair of lips or is it the real way to say it?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Why does the Lanboy air and the Corsair 600T both include just a single USB 3 port? Why not make them all USB 3? Cases are on of the longest lives computer parts. Do they really think that in 5 years people would need the USB 2 ports?

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
If you read the review (not the video) there is one thing that worries me: Rust! The last thing I want to have to worry about in a case are the unpainted screw holes rusting over time.

Handruin

Administrator
I've always said the letters "s" "l" "i". That chassis does look awesome, just ordered one to check out.

I've also always said S. L. I. and so has anyone else I've ever discussed this with. I've never heard someone pronounce it as a single word.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I saw the video. S.L.I? I've always said SLI, never spelled the individual letters. Is the girl narrating the case description talking with the wrong pair of lips or is it the real way to say it?

I always use the individual letters S, L, I. How do you say SATA, with letters or as a word? :flower:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If you read the review (not the video) there is one thing that worries me: Rust! The last thing I want to have to worry about in a case are the unpainted screw holes rusting over time.

The article also metioned that rust won't be a problem in production models. Even if it does develope some rust, it would be a least 10 years before it caused problems.
You could always use WD40 or 3-N-1 oil on the screws.

Handruin

Administrator
In some parts of my P-180 I see small bits of rust. I don't think it will ever be an issue in its lifetime. I may end up handing it down to a family member for their next computer. Such is the cycle of life in computer parts for me.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just finished the build in the LanBoy Air. Friggin' awesome case.

1. Very easy to work in.
2. Looks great.
3. Very fast build time, even with reconfiguration.

Downsides:

1. Some of the bits are standard case faire, and clash with the slick looks and blacked out screws.
2. Additional reconfig would require additional parts.