Cases

Handruin

Administrator
Just finished the build in the LanBoy Air. Friggin' awesome case.

1. Very easy to work in.
2. Looks great.
3. Very fast build time, even with reconfiguration.

Downsides:

1. Some of the bits are standard case faire, and clash with the slick looks and blacked out screws.
2. Additional reconfig would require additional parts.

Sounds like a decent case. How's the noise level and cooling?

ddrueding

Fixture
Sounds like a decent case. How's the noise level and cooling?

Noise level depends very much on component choices, as there is no attenuation at all. The case fans all have speed control, and at minimum are nearly inaudible. My choice of hard drive is also silent, but my GPU makes just a bit of noise. Going to a fanless GPU would be excellent in this chassis.

As far as cooling, I can't imagine this not being enough to cool absolutely anything. There is even room to mount an additional 2x 120mm on top, making the total 7x 120mm (4 in, 3 out). The fans on the side panel are aimed directly below the top PCIe slot, so it would be perfect for SLI/Crossfire rigs.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been tempted to from time to time, and I have used the smaller Nine Hundred. I feel that the P18x/19x line are better quality cases, and if you want bling you should get the Lanboy Air.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I like my P180 well enough, and I'm not looking to replace it (but I could rather cheaply right now with the P183 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129061&Tpk=p183), but for another case I'd prefer a case without a front door, especially one that swings open to the left the way the P180 does. I'd also like some top-located USB, power, and headphone ports.

I'd like lots of flexibility regarding fants in my next build (hopefully Sandy Bridge in early 2011 if I can hold out), and I think the stack of adjustable 120 mm fans on the front of the 1200 seems pretty nifty.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Good point. I guess I'm still scared about hard drive seek noise - I do use a Hitachi 7k2000, Raptor 74 GB and Raptor 300 GB drives, all of which aren't exactly silent. I don't mind the constant fan hum but I could see seek noises getting irritating. That and video card fans as they go up and down (my current 7900GS does that an it annoys me).

For others who may be interested - here's the tread talking about the Lanboy air: http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8352&highlight=lanboy+air

Any further comments since building that system? Can you hear hard drive seeks?

I'm also starting to think about the CoolerMaster HAF-X (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225). I suspect low-speed 200 mm fans will move more air and be quieter than 120 mm fans at any speed.

ddrueding

Fixture
That system doesn't have any spinning drives in it at all. The case fans blowing directly on the GPU tend to keep the GPU's fan noise under control. Then again, I bought one with an IceQ cooler on it.

That case does support suspending your drives, so that should help considerably.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Good point. I guess I'm still scared about hard drive seek noise - I do use a Hitachi 7k2000, Raptor 74 GB and Raptor 300 GB drives, all of which aren't exactly silent. I don't mind the constant fan hum but I could see seek noises getting irritating. That and video card fans as they go up and down (my current 7900GS does that an it annoys me).

For others who may be interested - here's the tread talking about the Lanboy air: http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8352&highlight=lanboy+air

Any further comments since building that system? Can you hear hard drive seeks?

I'm also starting to think about the CoolerMaster HAF-X (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225). I suspect low-speed 200 mm fans will move more air and be quieter than 120 mm fans at any speed.

After reading everything I could find online, I spent a few days searching stores in a 50mi radius for cases a couple of weeks ago. Overall I was disappointed that cases are more complicated and flimsier than they were 10 years ago; for example more plastic materials and gimmicky mountings are used. Like you, I was also concerned about hearing more drive noise in a typical newer case with less fan noise and more open ventilation. I almost bought the P183, but the front door is useless to me and the plastic under that looks cheap and awful. Ultimately I ended up keeping a CoolerMaster mid-tower case that has three fairly quiet fans and space to mount 3-4 more.

Surprisingly enough, the fairly open design does not result in nearly as much hard drive noise as I had expected. (There are 6 drives spinning full time, including three 7200 RPM 2TB performance drives and three 5400 RPM 2TB econo drives.) Of course the system is not exactly silent, but overall it is much more quiet than the previous build with the exact same hard drives and power supply. Neither spindle nor seek drive noise are an issue under normal use. I can hear some seeks when benchmarking with HDTach though.

In your situation, the 74GB WD is probably the noisiest of the bunch. Perhaps it is time to replace it with an SSD. :rabbit:

Adcadet

Storage Freak
In your situation, the 74GB WD is probably the noisiest of the bunch. Perhaps it is time to replace it with an SSD. :rabbit:
I believe the 74 GB Raptor is the loudest, although I think the 300 GB Raptor comes in a close second. I moved my main OS, Windows 7, to an Intel X25-M a few months back and have been very happy, but I still use the Raptor drives to play with Linux from time to time. So, I suppose if I didn't care about noise under Linux things would be fine. Maybe I should think more about the Lanboy Air. Now if only you could use 200 mm fans instead of 120's, although I suppose that would make it harder to keep things modular.