dSLR thread

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Seems to me that all this is just a prototype used to confirm their research. As such, it is no more likely to produce a FF sensor at 180MP than their previous 50MP prototype sensor created a commercial FF sensor at 75MP.

In the long run, the research will produce improved commercial sensors but market forces and commercial realities are what will determine what products they will end up developing out of it.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Isn't that past the JPEG size limits? I wonder what the RAW file size would be.

Depending on the bits per channel for RGB.

180MP * 64bits (per pixel) = 1440MB = 1.4GB
(Assuming 16bits per colour channel, and padded to 64bits).

180MP * 32bits (per pixel) = 720MB
(Assuming 8bits per colour channel, and padded to 32bits).

But is a sensor is only 5bits per channel, then 180MP * 16bits = 360MB per image.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Canon bodies do not currently output uncompressed RAW files. The older Canon bodies produced RAW files that are about 1-1.2 MB/MP. The RAW files produced by newer cameras contain full-sized embedded jpegs and are about 1.5 MB/MP. The 120MP sensor may be on the noisy side, so the factor may be a little higher, but it also may forgo the full-res embedded jpeg. A decent estimate would be 175-200 MB for the 120 MP sensor. Of course hardware such as DSP(s), RAM, memory card, and battery is not really ready to support such a large throughput (1100+MP/sec.) in a conventional DSLR package.

Stereodude

Not really a
Canon bodies do not currently output uncompressed RAW files.
Sure they do. They output the data that came directly from the sensor. Since they're not a Foveon type sensor they don't have RGB data for every pixel which makes them smaller than an uncompressed TIFF.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
The prices are rather high at $7,000 and $11,000 for the 300/2.8L and 400/2.8L respectively. At that level the only ones that will be buying are big money professionals.

ddrueding

Fixture
Probably some great glass, though.

I've got an outdoor portrait shoot coming up in a few weeks. Wondering what additional lighting support I should have? Secondary flash (I have a 430EX at the moment)? Reflectors?

LunarMist

That fisheye zoom also looks pretty interesting. I also like the "by-the-way" mention of the 60D.

Canon EF-S bodies are aligning with Nikon DX bodies in market categories. The 60D is the equivalent to a Nikon 90D or what will replace it soon and the 7D is the equivalent of the D300s or what will replace it.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Canon EF-S bodies are aligning with Nikon DX bodies in market categories. The 60D is the equivalent to a Nikon 90D or what will replace it soon and the 7D is the equivalent of the D300s or what will replace it.

I find that interesting, as the two companies used to stagger their products so they wouldn't directly compete. I think they will go in separate directions with respect to the EVIL segment, however, with Canon going more towards the Sony A55 compact dSLR style and Nikon towards the mirrorless big P&S m4/3 style.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I find that interesting, as the two companies used to stagger their products so they wouldn't directly compete. I think they will go in separate directions with respect to the EVIL segment, however, with Canon going more towards the Sony A55 compact dSLR style and Nikon towards the mirrorless big P&S m4/3 style.

... Or maybe for Nikon, rangefinder style, evoking the memory of Nikon's rangefinder days and playing the nostalgia card like Olympus did with the EP-1 evoking the memory of the Pen, or maybe they draw on the quirkily little 35ti

ddrueding

Fixture
Took advantage of a clear night sky and a shiny new TC-80N3 to grap a bunch of star shots. Sending them through DeepSkyStacker now; it is giving my laptop quite a workout!

LunarMist

Took advantage of a clear night sky and a shiny new TC-80N3 to grap a bunch of star shots. Sending them through DeepSkyStacker now; it is giving my laptop quite a workout!

Mine lost the shine rather quikcly. It scrapes on the ground, etc. and scraches rather easily after a few days of use.

LunarMist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrueding
Ah, so you will be exchanging it for another 7D? I thought you were returning it for something else.

I finally opened up the second one. Preliminary indications are better, but I have yet to test it with a long tele. The display reads a bogus value of 999 frames remaining with the new 32GB card installed. Dimwit Canon engineers must be mathematically challenged.

I ended up using the 7D much more that I expected or wanted to. :cyclopsani:

LunarMist

Weather was difficult and there was never enough light to shoot properly. Too often it was either the 7D or a 1Ds III with a 1.4x. In good light the latter is the usual choice, but not at the low light limits for the subjects.

LunarMist

The software does not matter as they all produce similar messages. It is complicated since I have 3-4 copies of the data. It is very odd that the 15 images are with a specific camera and the only ones taken with a flash, yet one copy seems to be fine. Now I have to convert all the files temporarily to be sure since the thumbnails and embedded jpegs are fine. That will take a few days. :eek3:

LunarMist

I don't know if the flash has firmware, but the 7D is not involved.

LunarMist

Hmm. It appears that there is a small pop-off flash on the 7D. I don't think it would work very well with a 500 or 600/4. :dwarf:

LunarMist

DPP seems to have a limit of about 3000 RAW files per folder, which is quite annoying. I think it is a 32-bit app.

LunarMist

OMG, there must be a better way. It took several days to convert 26K files to 1536x1024 jpegs. I selected all the files in a folder of ~2500 and started conversions, then did the same with two other folders. Processing more than three folders simultaneously thrashed the drive excessively. Only the 15 files were corrupted and that was a fourth copy. I still don't understand the reason, but it does not matter. Then I made three archive copies and two working copies. It's a good way to fill 3.5TB in a weekend. Originals will be deleted in December.

LunarMist

I need to use the notebook and associated 2.5" drives in December. How long do I need to keep 8-9 overall sets? :cat:

ddrueding

Fixture
If you were to locate the folders correctly, you could have it process a main folder that contained your three subfolders. That would cause it to process them sequentially. No?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I've been following the Photokina news.

The Pentax K-5 looks great. It's tempting me mightily. I still have my Limited 31mm f/1.8 & 77mm f/1.7, both of which I can't bear to part with. My only concern would be the low-light autofocus since I use those primes for social photography which is often dimly lit. ISO 25,600 & 51,200 will probably be useful in black & white.

I'm glad Sony is going to try and fix the horrible handling of the NEX cameras. Those cameras have potential if they could just get them to handle in a useful way for serious amateurs.