"Fleet computer challenge"

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Hmm. You're remapping differently than I would. I'd use a word processor or even just Notepad and Find/Replace S --> Z then paste it all into the compose window.

- Fushigi

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
na... a remap that takes place in the keyboard drivers will work in almost any application whether or not it supports find/replace.

I would assume the only time it wouldn't work is if a program does not use the keyboard driver you're using for windows.... that would maybe be some games... and definately DOS which requires no seperate driver.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Bartender said:
Where in the world did you come from? GO back to your corner and drink! This is Mercutio's thread, and once again Buck and now the OT: Polizei have taken it hostage!

. . . and sideways! pffttt!

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
blakerwry said:
na... a remap that takes place in the keyboard drivers will work in almost any application whether or not it supports find/replace.

I would assume the only time it wouldn't work is if a program does not use the keyboard driver you're using for windows.... that would maybe be some games... and definately DOS which requires no seperate driver.
I'm thinking strictly in terms of SF posting. I don't think a Red Hill customer would want the S-->Z conversion on their Zalez Zlip. Or that nice email to mother ...

- Fushigi

honold

Storage is cool
ok, there's a no support/no video $70 + shipping/tax p4 2.4/256mb pc1066 rdram/30gb/xp home/cdrom/56k. this one has rare restrictions (edu student/faculty/staff + massive rebate stacking) but i see no indication why the rebates shouldn't all pass.

just a random example - most are off-the-street and use 1 rebate (if any at all) :)

honold

Storage is cool
talk w/the fatwallet hot deals forum people about it if you're new to dell deals, and enjoy :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My pilot lab went live today. XP2100s running - for the moment - Windows 98. My builders, a mix of non-technical trainers and somewhat clueful A+ students, did a very good job assembling the machines, and in fact I only ended up with two machines that didn't boot up the first time we tried.

My total cost per machine (we'll consider labor free, since voltunteers handled assembly) was a mere $558 per machine. My pilot "cheap" machine, set side-to-side with the expensive ones, came out to $397 (Duron 1.2, 256MB SDRAM, 20GB U-series drive, cheapo SiS730 graphics), but lost in just about every respect. The two biggest "knocks" it got? It was way louder (both had stock AMD retail fans, and my expensive machines had a north bridge fan the Duron didn't), and startup/program start times were vastly different - very apparent in 98's load time, and in Outlook (+our 150MB stock outlook.PST) and Photoshop.

It was a lot of fun teaching a bunch of noobs how to put PCs together. We had a good time doing it, and I'm happy that I don't have to cut corners to get better equipment.

Mercutio

The GA7VAX, mostly. I originally wanted the "P" for all the machines but I found some generic firewire cards locally for about $12, which saved me about $10 on the per unit costs. I still got a couple of AXPs, though. They were invoiced at the same price.

The boot message about "RAID BIOS not found" on those board really confused my builders, as did the extra audio connectors.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I thought I read a thread on how to open a Dell Dimension case--has a single central thumb screw by the looks of things--circa P!!! 800--a friend wants me to fix what ales :) it.

Instead I found this thread and thought I'd resurrect it to give you all nightmares...

Mercutio

After all this time...
And the computers I build, and Tony and Buck and time and ddrueding and
whoever else here builds systems regularly - are still a better deal than Dell.

:p

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Especially now that Dell has raised the price of its lower-end Dimension box like the 2400 and 3000. Now it's possible to beat them on every price point, something that wasn't true six months ago (in North America at least).

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CougTek said:
Especially now that Dell has raised the price of its lower-end Dimension box like the 2400 and 3000. Now it's possible to beat them on every price point, something that wasn't true six months ago (in North America at least).

I don't know, it has always been very inexpensive for me to shovel trash into a bucket and ship it out. :D

ddrueding

Fixture
It's almost always been possible to built a cheaper box than Dell, I just refuse to build machines out of crap components. If theres going to be unreliable hardware out there, I'd rather not be the one to support it. My cheapest office machine is still around $800, and my cheapest gaming rig is still around $1200.

Handruin

Administrator
Just built another budget machine tonight (which should be more than adequate as an office machine).

AMD Sempron 2800+ 64-bit 754 retail $75
Gigabyte K8VM800M $55
Cosair value select 512MB DDR400 $45
Samsung 160GB SATA (HD160JJ) $80
LITE ON SOHD-16P9SBLK retail $22
NEC floppy black $8
Antec BQE SLK2650 with 350W $50 (after rebate)

$335 + $20 shipping

I've built three just like this, and their owners have been very happy so far.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio:

What was the final result, and how are the machines working for you?>

GS

Handruin

Administrator
I've been running F@H all weekend on this sempron and the highest the CPU temp has reached is 89 degrees F (32 C). The heatsink is cool to the touch. What a different concept to feel the heatsink and have it feel cooler than my hand. I bet these things would be great in a HTPC with passive cooling. Even the samsung is a very cool-running drive. Only slightly warm to the touch.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I hate Dell.

Proprietary Slot One CPU with proprietary retention mechanism and cooling solution--can't tell if the error is due to CPU, because CPU can't be placed in generic Slot One mobo :x

Of course the mobo has to be proprietary to take the bastardised CPU dunnit.

Proprietary PSU pinout--can't substitute generic ATX P/S to see if error is P/S related.

Rambus--who keeps that $h1t around to check if it is (as the web seems to indicate) a memory error.

Bloody Dell!

FWIW, the error is "multi-bit ECC error".

sorry for the rant.

Mercutio

Sadly, it looks like I might be working for an all-Dell shop in the near future.
<heavy, heavy sarcasm>
I am aquiver with delight.
</end sarcasm>

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Tannin said:
That's east to fix, Liam.

1: remove hard drive.
2: remove floppy drive
3: remove optical drive
4: discard remainder, replace with real parts.

Simple!

Heh! :) That's what I told him. He didn't look happy. Then he said "So you don't think I should buy another name brand one then?"

:)

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Forgot to add that I told him for a little more than the price of 1 x 256MB stick of RDRAM (which was not guaranteed to fix his machine), he could buy a Socket 754 mobo/Sempron/512MB of DDR and new case/ps and the difference in speed would be like daylight.

Unfortunately, it looks like the drive in that machine is a U series :eekers:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Dell, along with other OEM companies should be fined for the environmental hazard that they are! The amount of OEM parts that get tossed within a very short time of its useless life is downright criminal.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
ddrueding said:
My cheapest office machine is still around $800, and my cheapest gaming rig is still around $1200.

Just to revive this thread, currently, my mainstream office machine is $1,050.00 + tax, which comes to $1,131.38 in this State.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
Good lord. What are you putting in that machine?!?

For a mainstream office machine, I always include a 19" LCD. That usually makes up a third of the price. Additionally, I include a separate video card, even though I use the GA-K8VM800M motherboard. That onboard video just doesn't seem to make the grade with my customers. Oh, and of course, my price includes the wonderfully unique XP Professional.

ddrueding

Fixture
I only sell one system now. Anything lower is not worth my time, anything higher is usually not worth the money.

A64 X2 3800+
Scythe Ninja HS
Gigabyte S939 NF4 mobo (fanless)
Fanless ATI X700
X-Mystique 7.1 Gold
300GB Hitachi SATA
BenQ DVD-Burner
Antec P180
Antec Phantom 350W
Nexus 120mm fans all around

This system is pure bliss. Silent, stable, simple, and very cool running. I've OC'd to 4200+ speeds without any issues.

I charge $2000.