Folding@Home

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I've never had more than 5 processors. Don't know where they got 7 from.

Given that 4 of my 5 are sub 1200MHz PIII's I doubt they'd even be missed if they were shut off.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
What the PandeGroup should now do is to contact Sony or IBM and try to develop a client compatible with the PS3 and its Cell processor. I think it would be quite a cruncher for 400U$ per box.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Sorry, guess I was thinking too much...brain overload.

Further up in this thread there is this statement "2. Run regedit and go to key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<service name> and edit the entry ImagePath, adding whatever flags you wish to the end. Exit regedit."

I am reinstalling F@H and was using this thread as a reference. I don't understand what that hack would do.

Bozo :mrgrn:

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
It allows you to add parameters that run everytime the service is started like -local -service -advmethods

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
CougTek said:
What the PandeGroup should now do is to contact Sony or IBM and try to develop a client compatible with the PS3 and its Cell processor. I think it would be quite a cruncher for 400U$ per box.
First step to get the F@h client to run on the PS3 is done.

The PS3 HDD will come with Linux pre-installed. Woohoo.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Just added an XP2900 to the farm. I built the box today so I won't look in to OC capabilities until it's been properly burned in for a few days and even then if it'll OC I'm usually somewhat conservative about it.

The source? I got a free Compaq Presario 5900Z from a coworker. An old Athlon Classic 750. Didn't work & he'd stripped the HD. Looked like the mobo was dead as there weren't even any beep codes when powering up. So I basically gutted it. Found a deal for the Athlon XP2900 + Abit K7V for $100. Added a new PSU as the Compaq was 145 watts and lacked the extra 12V connector, 512MB RAM, Radeon 7000 (no fan; minimum card with SVGA + DVI), HSF, & case fan. Moved a Samsung 160GB HD from my main PC & installed a vanilla XP Pro SP2. Basically, what remains of the 'Compaq' is the case, DVD-ROM, and LiteOn 48x CD-RW. It's amazing: XP Pro + AVG + Firefox + the Folding client + various mobo & video drivers = 3.7GB. Still, not a bad PC so far. Decent speed.

There were other options, of course, but I wanted to keep it fairly cheap. The only cheaper mobo/CPU solution was a Duron 1.8 combo for about $30 less. Since I knew it'd be Folding, I opted to spend a few more for the Athlon XP.

This machine will hopefully be the start of my media server. I've a Maxtor 200GB drive to move in to the chassis shortly. When that runs out I'll get serious about storage. Hopefully by then the 500GB disks will be shipping & will start to be affordable.

Groltz

Does anyone know if the AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPUs can run two simultaneous instances of FAH? Or does a dual-core CPU not give any benefit for FAH?

Handruin

Administrator
My unconfirmed guess is yes, you should be able to run two instances at the same time. Windows/linux should see two processors and therefore two processes should be spawn-able. You will have to put them into separate directories and make sure you give each one it's own machine ID.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Yes, you can have multiple instances of F@H running. The same setups is to be used with dual cores as with Hyper-Treaded P4's. You need to make sure that both instances are stored in seperate folders. The each have to have different machine #'s too.

Groltz

Thanks Mark. Thanks Doug.

I remember reading that folks with hyperthreaded P4s were able to run two FAH instances per CPU.

After not being able to find anything by searching, I wanted to ask if anyone had specifically read (or seen) that this could be done on the new A64-X2s CPUs through WinXP.

Objective proof as opposed to speculation, in other words.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Consider a dual-core chip as functionally identical to a machine with 2 CPUs. It really is 2 CPUs that just happen to be on the same die.

Dunno what AMD is doing, BTW, but there's no reason why a dual-core CPU couldn't also hyperthread, bringing the number of unique execution threads per physical CPU to 4. Really great when it comes to packaging and the potential for multi-core server blades.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Groltz said:
Thanks Mark. Thanks Doug.

I remember reading that folks with hyperthreaded P4s were able to run two FAH instances per CPU.

After not being able to find anything by searching, I wanted to ask if anyone had specifically read (or seen) that this could be done on the new A64-X2s CPUs through WinXP.

Objective proof as opposed to speculation, in other words.

From the F@H Forums (Last post in the thread)

Macaholic said:
Toledo A64 X2 4800+
220x12
2640.3MHz
1.360v
2.5-3-3-8 (2x512 Corsair TwinX)
Good place to start :wink:

p741
Time Per Frame 00:14:10
Time Per Unit 23:36:40

p746
Time Per Frame 00:18:30
Time Per Unit 30:50:00

Groltz

I should have mentioned that I dug around some, including that thread in the official FAH forum, before bugging you guys.

I saw that person' s post but not where it said that they had accomplished two instances of the FAH client on that X2 4800+ cpu.

Aren't p741 & p746 just two different protein work units that they were giving the times for?

Groltz

OK...We're in 100th place.
puke.gif

The JoJo shut his folding down the week of July 3rd and hasn't posted in this forum since June 1st. Anyone hear from him lately??

Handruin

Administrator
I haven't been running any consistent folding because it's been too damn hot in my office. The only machine folding for me with any regularity is my Dell celerslow 2.53 GHz. I had my sister's (sempron 2600+) running F@H for two weeks, but I've since delivered the machine to her.

I have not heard from The JoJo.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
You're just going to BAM take it up a notch.

Me, I'm annoyed because I've lost 4 processors from the effort...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
a Dual Opteron 246 and a dual Athlon 1.9MP (Two computers, 4 processors).

The Opteron because someon else decided that F@H might cause problems at some time (There was no indication of anything, but you never know). Hey, it was a production server and the removal of risk is a legitimate consideration.

The dual Athon because of lightning storm in Salem. There was aprox 2700 ground strikes in a 3 hour time period. I lost two APC Smart-ups, four HD's, and one motherboard. Me not pleased.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Will APC make good on their warrenty? Replace the UPS and the componates that was attached to it.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Don't know, didn't try. The UPS's are way past any warrentee and I'm not the original owner (Bought them used). It doesn't hurt to ask though.

Handruin

Administrator
You may be in luck, but judging by your comments, I doubt you had a warranty card to fill out. I looked up their policy, and they list all their products as a lifetime protection.

Code:
Eligibility for coverage under the Equipment Protection Policy:

1. You must register the product by returning to APC the warranty card provided with the product within 10 days of purchase. All information must be filled in, and you should retain a copy for your records. The warranty card must clearly identify the types of electronic equipment that will be plugged into the APC product for which protection under this policy is claimed. All connected equipment must be UL or CSA approved.
   2. The APC product must be plugged into properly wired and grounded outlets; no extension cords, adapters, other ground wires, or electrical connections may be used, with the sole exception of other standard APC 120 volt products. The installation must not include power protection products made by any manufacturer other than APC. The installation must comply with all applicable electrical and safety codes set forth pursuant to the National Electrical Code (NEC).
   3. Any claim under the Equipment Protection Policy must be made within 10 days of the date of alleged damage to the connected equipment.
   4. The Equipment Protection Policy covers only standard APC 120 volt products used in the 50 US states and/or Canada.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If I read the chart right, we will be overtaken by Toms Hardware Guide....How Disgusting is that. :x

Need to find more CPUs.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hi there,
been very busy, and just got back from my 1month vacation. No computers for a month, it was GREAT!
Coming back to work, straight to on-call duty, not fun :(. Haven't slept properly since friday....duh..:(

Okey, 100th place? Not good, firing up the furnaces...!

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Howdy mate!

(psst, I'll swap some Gin for some 300+GB Samsung Ide drives ;)
Thinking about upgrading my Raid-5 from 7*160 to x*400. Unfortunately that means no Samsung :( )

Handruin

Administrator
I need to buy that A/C unit before I can continue. It's been (and still is) too damn hot even when I'm not crunching. But...it beats having snow!

Groltz

Storage Forum is now out of the top 100. (102 at this writing)

Approximately 15 active contributors out of a team #10047 roster of 78 and a forum with 400+ members.

BangHead.gif