Folding@Home

Handruin

Administrator
I finally got my A/C. I'm back to folding again...

Groltz, in addition to what you're saying, one of those active contributers isn't even registered on the forum. :x

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Set up two client consoles on my new AMD x2 3800+ system.
Hopefully I did it right and you should see my stats appearing in a few days.
I'm going to bed now, I just wanted to set this up before that.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The point spike that people that carefully watch the stats are seeing is from F@H crediting everyone for a variety of WU's that previously were not properly credited.

Enjoy your new found points while they last.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
"The point spike that people that carefully watch the stats are seeing is from F@H crediting everyone for a variety of WU's that previously were not properly credited."

Damm......here I thought that was from the PIII 800 I added :wink:

Bozo :mrgrn:

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Once the temperature begins to drop, I just might use some of Buck's extra computers and start crunching again. The extra heat will be nice. I think he was trying to fire up some of his old dualie systems, and they weren't behaving. He might have to upgrade them.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
There are two teams that are not counted - Default and Google. They both contain people that are running FAH but do not specify a valid team. If someone is runnning the Google client then they are attached to Google and if they are running any other client then they get attached to default.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Will Rickards said:
I've produced 600 points exactly for the past three days.
Is that odd?

No.

A lot of these Gromacs RIBO proteins are 600 points exactly. They take about a day to accomplish.

Groltz

We've ascended in rank to 101st place!!!!!

Way to go, active contributors....all 14 of you.
BangHead.gif

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have always run folding in console mode. That way I could see what's happening.
If I set up folding to run as a sevice, is there a way to see the progress it's making?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Bozo said:
I have always run folding in console mode. That way I could see what's happening.
If I set up folding to run as a sevice, is there a way to see the progress it's making?

Look at unitinfo.txt int he Folding directory. It contains the work unit info & your % done. I bookmark the file for easy access.

Groltz

Mark, do you have a personal favorite among the monitoring programs?

I've been using F@H LogStats. It's OK, but nothing more.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
My personal favorite was Logstat but it hasn't been updated so long that most WU's don't even showup properly: It was perfect, but now it is basicly useless. The one I'm currently using is FahMon: I don't really like it, but it does the job.

Most people use EMIII, but I find it to be annoying because it is too flashy. Now note, that most use the program to monitor a single machine but my criteria is different: I need it to monitor multiple machines, so what I like/need is different than most. It doesn't hurt to try out several and see what is right for you.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The good news is that we should be back in the top 100 (well, #100), in 40 days, according to the conquest/overtake projection. We'll be kicked off the top 100 quickly, but it wasn't our last presence in that prestigious group.

Remember when we were 34th?

Handruin

Administrator
What's the best way to make the FAH client run as an automatic service under SuSe 9.3 (or any Linux for that matter)?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The easiest thing to do is probably make a little script that you can place in the appropriate place under /etc/init.d somewhere.

Handruin

Administrator
Sorry for the ignorance...once I place the script there...how do I start it?

I planned on making the script point to my install location like:

/root/fah/FAH502-Linux.exe

Then what do I do to start the service? I'm not very savvy with Linux yet.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I really think an cron job would be simpler.

Easy to change, easy to see, easy to 'nice' it, and easy to run it under your own account.

Issue a "man 5 crontab" at the command prompt. Read about "The Eight Special Strings" (sounds like a cheap movie, doesn't it).

Code:
       Instead of the first five fields, one of eight special strings may appear:

string         meaning

@rebootRun once, at startup.
@yearly        Run once a year, "0 0 1 1 *".
@annually      (same as @yearly)
@monthly       Run once a month, "0 0 1 * *".
@weekly        Run once a week, "0 0 * * 0".
@daily         Run once a day, "0 0 * * *".
@midnight      (same as @daily)
@hourly        Run once an hour, "0 * * * *".

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
The "code" tags are pretty useless, aren't they.

How the hell do you get a non-proportional font in here?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Oh well.

My vote it is on a cheap and cheerful cron job, launched by the "@reboot" string.

Note: Jobs started by the cron demon normally have their console output stored while running, and then the whole output from the app is sent to you as a mail message when the app terminates. You may want to specify MAILTO="" at the start of the crontab if whatever you're lauching runs in a verbose mode. Otherwise, you'll get a heck of mail message the first time the app shuts down.

Handruin

Administrator
That seemed to work, thanks Merc! And also thank you i for the crontab suggestion!

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Thanks,

First year 60,000
Second year 300,000
Third year 1,200,000 (estimate)

It's hard to believe that this project has been running almost 3 years.

Now onward and upward to 2,000,000+

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't know how much longer I can keep folding at this pace. The POS ASUS board doesn't recognize the USB ports any more. That, and the onboard Promise controller died. ASUS tech support sucks donkey ..... I finally got a phone number to call them. If I RMA the MB, that will be a 3.4 GHz machine off line for a while. :(

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
That's not what will cause our fall. We would need around 20 more 3GHz Pentium 4 just to keep team Latvia's pace and delay our fall from the top 100. Don't feel guilty about it. You still out-produce me by quite a margin.