Folding@Home

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Cliptin said:
Groltz, do you happen to be running with the -forceasm or -advmethods switches?

Nope, just console v3.24 straight out of the box. I was having this problem with 3.14 too.

Config:
Code:
[settings]
-
-
asknet=no
machineid=1
local=9

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=yes
usepasswd=yes

[clienttype]
type=1

[core]
priority=96
cpuusage=100
disableassembly=no
ignoredeadlines=yes

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
i'll be shtting down my home PC over weekend. we're expecting temps into the 40's (104f) i think that's hot enough...

everyone of my folding boxes is working on a 400 frame w/u!

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Come on people, nothing will happen to a well ventilated PC in 40C weather... just turn up those fans, don't be shy!

(Yes I've tried it, more like 50C due to the roof structure of the room it was in, sun beating down on it all day, you couldn't sit in there but the PCs could, with no less than half a dozen 120mm 130CFM fans)

The only thing to be worried avout is the hard drive temperatures.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It's not how hot the room makes the PC, it's how hot the PC makes the room! It was 37C in Ballarat yesterday (100F) and the next two days are forcast to get hotter. When I got home last night at 9:30PM, the inside temperature was 38. The main machine can go on again when it drops belw 30, but the dedicated folders stay off till it drops below 20! Dammed if I'm spending good money to run a bank of computers to heat the shop up, and then spend more good money running the AC system to cool it down again. :(

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
NRG = mc² said:
Come on people, nothing will happen to a well ventilated PC in 40C weather... just turn up those fans, don't be shy!

(Yes I've tried it, more like 50C due to the roof structure of the room it was in, sun beating down on it all day, you couldn't sit in there but the PCs could, with no less than half a dozen 120mm 130CFM fans)

The only thing to be worried avout is the hard drive temperatures.

tell me, where does it get to 40C in Britian? :p

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
No one said I was in britain - I was in greece where it gets to around 35C all through july-august, occasionally up to 40C.

This friend of mine has a room which is actually built on the roof of the house, an add-on if you want (tops of houses are flat).

The roof comprises of some sort of metal sheeting, some minimal insulation, and a wooden layer on the inside. Lets just say it gets pretty damn toasty in there - at around 9 or 10 in the morning you wake up in a puddle of sweat and cannot sleep any more no matter how tired you are.

You generally cannot stay in that room, even wearing boxer shorts after 12:00. He fitted an airconditioner but it doesn't do anything, just gathers condensation on the air outlet.

He has since moved all his stuff to the basement for the summer months, now thats much better, around 20C or so.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
this is new to me:

Code:
[04:21:59] [Filter]  29 filtered
[04:21:59] [SPA] Filter complete
[04:21:59] Iterations: 0 of 6000
[04:22:01] Finished
[04:25:09] [SPA] Energy_Lookup
[04:25:09] [SPA] rotamer wheel done
[04:25:10] [SPA] seed:         13074546
[04:25:10] [SPA] Designing protein sequence  1 of 30
[04:28:42] [SPA]  10.0 %
[04:31:28] [SPA]  20.0 %
[04:33:59] [SPA]  30.0 %
[04:36:22] [SPA]  40.0 %
[04:38:45] [SPA]  50.0 %
[04:41:10] [SPA]  60.0 %
[04:43:36] [SPA]  70.0 %
[04:45:53] [SPA]  80.0 %
[04:48:08] [SPA]  90.0 %
[04:50:26] [SPA] 100.0 %
[04:50:26] [SPA] Sequence  1 completed:
[04:50:26] RSNTKNTNTNEAGSGYPTYVAGEYLVIAGS
[04:50:27] Iterations: 200 of 6000
[04:50:28] Finished
[04:50:28] [SPA] seed:         26149092
[04:50:28] [SPA] Designing protein sequence  2 of 30
[04:53:44] [SPA]  10.0 %
[04:56:37] [SPA]  20.0 %

Groltz

Handruin said:
I haven't updated my CLI in a long time...does it really matter?

I haven't noticed any difference since 3.14. People running it in more advanced configurations might have seen improvements.

RECENT CHANGES (Client) - from 3.14 Release:

3.24beta2
---------
- Internet Explorer connection settings no longer default (but available).
- Benchmarking improved in consistency and uniformity. Back at beginning now,
but in future, with other improvements, can be moved again. Looking into
a suggested system where actual past performance is used.
Console specific-
- If bad arguments given, will exit only after a key press.
- Configuration bugs fixed.
GUI specific-
- Networking Configuration window fixed and clarified.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
What is with all the inactive members on our team? I don't even recognize a lot of the names. Where did they come from?

C

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I would guess they accidentally signed up with our team or lost interest in the project because of issues with running the client. More than likely they fat-fingered when entering a team ID.

Dead wood with 1 or 2 entries is better than no wood at all.

- Fushigi

Groltz

Clocker said:
What is with all the inactive members on our team? I don't even recognize a lot of the names. Where did they come from?

I have a theory on this. It is just a theory, though.

If one FAH team wants to antagonize another, they get a large group of their members to take on new usernames, and then contribute 1 WU to the team they are targeting. The result, as we can see, is a bunch of junk names cluttering our roster. They can't be removed. Additionally, our number of active users and percent active users stats get permanently skewed.

Why would I think this? As I remember, the biggest group of "zero" people all dropped in within a couple days of each other a while back.

Another thing almost all of them have in common is that they have contributed 5 WU's or less to many different teams. As if they are reserved for the purpose. Their remaining WU's belong to team "0".

Here are some of them...The number stated is how many different teams that each of them has contributed 5 WU's or less to:

mcaprio--------------62

cblaufer--------------67

teraya---------------56

shanehalldotnet----31

MaddogANO---------40

elitetek--------------38

anis------------------76

Aperoteam----------19

illya------------------20

heap-----------------24

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I read about that at the Folding Forums Steve. I agree with your theory. Those people are pretty lame!

Will Rickards-
You did exactly the RIGHT thing. You can install the client on as many machines as you want using the same User ID/Team#. That way, YOU get the credit for the crunching.

However, if you are running on an SMP machine, you need to make sure you have separate machine IDs (i.e. 1,2,3,4) for each instance of F@H running on the machine (two instances on a dual-proc machine, four instances on a quad-proc, etc.).

C

Groltz

Tea said:
Great research, Steve! So .... shall we kneecap 'em?

That would be letting them off too easy.

What I wish we could do is have our Folding team captain(?) appeal to the powers that be that we have had our roster vandalized and would like to have the junk names cleared off. I know it would not likely result in any action, but then it was just a wish, right?

Assholes.gif

Numbers 37, 39, and 35(?) would be excluded (Is that our "I" ?)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
About the machine ID's... Do all my machines need a seperate ID or is this handled automatically? on my linux machine I just changed the config file to say that my username is blakerwry and did not do anything else.

On my windows box I use the graphical client and just used the graphical config to change my username...

Am I doing it correctly?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
As I recall, yes, Your Holiness. Been a while since I was running multiple copies to try (not terribly effectively) to deal with the vaguaries of dial-up connections. There is no other reason to change the machine ID unless you have multiple CPUs. It's all covered earlier in this thread. I wrote some quite explicit, detailed and easy to follow instructions. You should be able to find them in ... oh ... two or three hours.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Groltz said:
What I wish we could do is have our Folding team captain(?) appeal to the powers that be that we have had our roster vandalized and would like to have the junk names cleared off.
Although I created the team, I think Clocker is currently more of a captain than I am since I forgot my name/password combo to modify the team and that he his our most active member on their forum.

Raven, i, support, Pradeep's laptop and Clocker's Pentium 133 aren't junk names like the bunch of others who only did a few 0.78 point units for us.

Clocker, I went to F@H forum but I didn't find the thread about the bastards who ruin other teams' active member ratio. Could you please provide a link?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
Raven, i, support, Pradeep's laptop and Clocker's Pentium 133 aren't junk names like the bunch of others who only did a few 0.78 point units for us.

G'morning...I am sick but I will be logging on occasionally to see how things are going.

Anyway, let's agree which names we want to get rid of from our roster and I will contact the Folding people to see if they can help us to lose-'em.

I see about the last 27 IDs on the list that don't seem to be producing anymore, so why not take them off the list? That includes my old P 133 ID. Maybe some of those people are new so I'm not sure if they all should be whisked away, but if we can all agree to a list, I will take that to the Folding Forum moderators for their assistance.

Clocker

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
BTW: CougTek- I could not find the link either but I remember reading about it.

C

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I'm going back home for 10 days so only the Celeron 1.2 (Ex P3-733) will be running. Don't feel comfortable leaving my main machine on when I leave. :oops:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Great information guys, it is good to see some of you put more heart into this project then I have. I'm hoping to get a XP2000+ up soon to help out a bit.

As far as the unproductive imposters we have on our list go, they should be removed. We can leave the torture up to the Artillerie-Kommandeur von der Sprachwissenschaft Polizei and the OT: Polizei. I think they'll come up with something appropriate.