Genome@Home

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
What do you mean it won't accept your units? Did they upload, and it just hasn't appeared on the stats yet? Sometimes the stats server goes down (fear not you will be credited with any returned work when they get it up again). SOme times it may take upto 12-16 hours for stats to update.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I meant the stats server doesn't show my progress since 3am last night. It's no big deal, but I would have like to capture the screenshot showing me at 1000 units first. It would have been the little joy of my day ;-). I presume that at around 18h00 today (in 10 minutes), the stats server will finally update my stats... only to show Doug a half unit in front of me :cry: ... ;-)

I'll connect my second computer later on this evening.

Handruin

Administrator
And while you connect your second computer...a quad PIII Xeon 1MB linux box has just started 4 genome processes for me. ;)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Team Pfeffer is our next target. After that, it's gonna be hunting season beginning for Coleus Commandos!

I still haven't configured the Athlon 500MHz for running the Genome@home, because of minor issues with my internet sharing device. It should be up and running soon though.

Doug, you're mad, period. Xeon might not be a very efficient CPU for the G@h project, but four of them do make a difference. Even when I'll have three systems crunching 24/7, I won't keep up with you. I won the race to 1000 units, but it doesn't look good for me for the race to the 10000th unit. Anyway, overall, we are a fantastic team.

With Kevin passing 1000 units (and passing me soon at the same time) and Pradeep and JoJo almost there too, we'll soon have 5 members over 1000, nice combo to say the least. I'm sure Ars Technica's members are already worried ;-) (joking, we aren't quite there yet).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have a problem when I want to setup the Genome on my second computer. I install the program just fine, but when I start it and I enter my user info, it gives me a new user ID and tells me that there were no previous user info found. I'm sure I enter the same username though : CougTek.

Will it adds the units I'll compute on my second box under the same profile or will it create a new and unecessary one. I don't want to end up like Storageforum_net and StorageForum_net. Doug and others who have multiple computers for one single profile, is it normal that it gives me a second user ID when it starts for the first time on the second machine?

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
I have a problem when I want to setup the Genome on my second computer. I install the program just fine, but when I start it and I enter my user info, it gives me a new user ID and tells me that there were no previous user info found. I'm sure I enter the same username though : CougTek.

Will it adds the units I'll compute on my second box under the same profile or will it create a new and unecessary one. I don't want to end up like Storageforum_net and StorageForum_net. Doug and others who have multiple computers for one single profile, is it normal that it gives me a second user ID when it starts for the first time on the second machine?

That is strange, I didn't have that problem. Can you run the config util. and change it to your current name? When I installed on other machines, all it asked for was my user name and team number, and also the server. Is it a new version or something? I'd say uninstall it and reinstall it, or try their configuration tool, maybe that will fix the issue.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I desinstalled and re-installed but it didn't change anything. Going through the user info setup gave no result. So far, I completed 14 of the 30 steps to make one gene so once it's completed, we'll see what happens. I hope I won't see my username appear twice in our team listing. Even if that happens, at least we'll have more units computed for the team so it's not too bad.

I'm running the 0.99 client and I think that it's the same client used on both systems.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Whe you say user ID do you mean the id number it retreives from the server? This is a unique number that is contained in the id.dat file I believe. You can have several instances of genome, all with the same username, but the id number should be unique for each. This is why it is important to run ghclient -config if for example you copy an install directory on to another computer. If you have the same id number on 2 seperate computers you may not be credited with all your work!

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
If you can't decipher any of that gibberish above, basically, yes, it is normal for the client to dl a new user ID when run for the first time (as opposed to the username you provided and which will be used in the stats. It says no previous user info found because this a new install you are running.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for the explanation Pradeep. I figured it out anyway cause the team's stats only show my username once, although my crunching rate improved slightly, meaning that both my machines were working for a single username.

It's good to have a detailed explanation though.

Coleus Commandos repassed in front of us. I don't know why they come up with a single burst once every week. Anyway, we still beat them in term of weekly production, so eventually, we'll overtake them once again and for good.

Next target : RBNet!

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
What if I ran G@h together with UD? (I run UD as a screensaver)
Would they [ideal] share 50-50% the CPU workload?

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I'm joining too, along with a bunch of friends and so on.

Right now (still downloading the g@h app) there will be the following machines:

- XP1800@1667 MHz (might go higher once I get some time to overclock more)
- Celeron 800@1066
- Celeron T 1.2@1.46
- Duron 1000 (morgan)
- XP1800@1710

a few more machines, will be joining later maybe. It depends on if I can convince everyone to get dump our 6500 units of seti we've been working on the past year or so. If I manage to you can count in all the machines on rotting-energy.net :p

They will probably be all in separate user names but who knows..?

Eat our dust!

Handruin

Administrator
Good thing Pradeep mentioned the user ID. The Quad PIII was running the same user ID on all for processes. It did eventually fail, and this may be why. I've since rejoined them and verified they all have their own ID #.

RBNet is sure to be toast. (If I can remember from now on to start Genome@home before I leave for work on my PC :evil: )

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Commandor Coug (commandor now since former captain Douglas sky rocket career jump valued him to be promoted to the rank of General) wants to know what's the reason of the poor enthousiasm showed by rookie soldier Prof.Wizard. Even the inconsistent soldier CougTek 2 is now looking as a good soldier compared to lazy Prof.Wizard.

You better have good reasons for this poor behavior young rookie, or I'll make you do so many push up that you won't feel your arms for the next month!

For now, I charge caporal NRG=MC² of applying the disciplinary measures.

It's not because we defeated our most fierce enemies (Team Pfeffer, Coleus Commandos and RBNet Research Group) recently that we are allowed to rest! The enemy is only waiting for signs of weakness to attack again. Besides, I see lack of motivation as a lack of respect for the ones we lost during our hardly won battles (StorageForum_Net, my sympathies to his family).

So be brave my loyal troups! I foresee many upcoming battles and we need to be ready.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
rotflmao.gif

I'm not running G@h at all times. Only when I'm working on Office XP or surfing the web. Don't forget I'm the Captain of SR's UD team. My efforts are dedicated mainly there... and even there, only as screensaver! Not 24/7.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Pradeep said:
Whe you say user ID do you mean the id number it retreives from the server? This is a unique number that is contained in the id.dat file I believe. You can have several instances of genome, all with the same username, but the id number should be unique for each. This is why it is important to run ghclient -config if for example you copy an install directory on to another computer. If you have the same id number on 2 seperate computers you may not be credited with all your work!

So....for any individual machine I need to run the G@H installer on that machine?

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Doug-

WHo are these EMC guys and why aren't they on our team!???

C

Handruin

Administrator
Clocker said:
Doug-

WHo are these EMC guys and why aren't they on our team!???

C

I saw them the other day...maybe it's another EMC company? :) Even if it is the same, there are 19000 people...I doubt I know them. :wink:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Hmmm....

Despite his name, our NRG seems to be a bit apathetic these days. Too bad, he was crunching at a good pace for us during the short period he did contribute.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Whoops... forgot to update you guys... can someone please please tell me of a good GUI for this thing so that I can check overall work unit progress and let me cache results, and also hide the damn console window in the system tray or somewhere?

Until then, I'm back on SETI :roll:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
NRG = mc² said:
Whoops... forgot to update you guys... can someone please please tell me of a good GUI for this thing so that I can check overall work unit progress and let me cache results, and also hide the damn console window in the system tray or somewhere?

Until then, I'm back on SETI :roll:

You can cache results by using the -nonet option in the command line or using the "Run off network" option in the genome@home program grouping (which does the same thing).

Try Genome Spy for monitoring:

http://www.franken.de/users/v8/GS/index_eng.htm

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
SF team has now designed 1000 genes! Congratulations everyone!!

I don't know any GUI else than the command line window and I don't know how to send the usual window to the system tray. However, I expect great improvements in the soon-to-be-released client 2.0 and I hope it will be good enough for you so that you'll re-join the team.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Buck said:
CougTek said:
SF team has now designed 1000 genes! Congratulations everyone!!

When is this supposed to happen? Statsman says 997.

BR
Statsman is always a little late. The most accurate place to see the total number of units done by the team is there. It's generally updated once every three hours, usually about half an hour before this page, which is the second most accurate place to see how far we are. Statsman is actually the slowest to be updated, but since it's the best looking, it's the one I chose to link on the front page.

You'll remark that the first place I linked doesn't show the number of genes processed, only the number of units. However, you can project the number of genes done by comparing the number of units on this page and then check the difference with the number of units showed on this page and figure that 1 gene more or less equals 15 units (on average). So when the most up to date number is 80 units bigger than the number on the second most up to date page, you can project that we have done ~5 genes more than the number shown on this page.

That's how I knew that even if our official Genome@home team stats page showed 997 genes, we were already past 1000 (in fact, we were at 1001) because our total number of units was ~70 units greater on this page than on our team page.

Make sense? If not, don't worry and just trust me. We are beyond 1000.

Normally, the numbers are update at 12:15am, 3:15am, 6:15am, 9:15am, 12:15pm, 3:15pm, 6:15pm and finally 9:15pm. Expect the next update in a bit less than an hour.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Well Cliptin, you better tweak your computer running the Genome because we will need all the support we can get. Team Pfeffer added two new players to their team and they are coming back on us frighteningly fast!

JoJo, please don't follow NRG=MC² and don't stop to help us. We won't resist without you.

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
Well Cliptin, you better tweak your computer running the Genome because we will need all the support we can get. Team Pfeffer added two new players to their team and they are coming back on us frighteningly fast!

JoJo, please don't follow NRG=MC² and don't stop to help us. We won't resist without you.

Oh man, Team Pfeffer's projected outlook is ahead of ours...we need to recruit! What tactics can we use to move forward?

Coug, I will still work on the G@H page for SF, right now I have 2 projects in front of it, one of which is close to being finished, the second is for SF to change over to the new forum. Once I get those finished I'll be right on top of it!.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
4194_future.gif

:eek:

Thanks for your work on the Genome team page, I completly forgot to work on it this week :oops:

Regarding Team Pfeffer, I have a little project of my own to keep them at distance. More on this later if I my plan works.

JoJo, see how badly we need your support.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
NRG, I just uploaded Toggle Minimize for you: http://www.redhill.net.au/zip/tminim.zip It's described in the downloads section on the front page - or it will be as soon as Coug gets off his arse and OKs my upload, but the direct link is above. It will minimise anything to the system tray, an absolute essential in my book. Nothing to do, nothing to click, it just watches till you click the minimise dot - er, sorry, in Windows it's the minimise underline - in the top right corner, and then moves the app off your taskbar into the system tray. To restore, just click on it.

Being an OS/2 raised baby, I found the Windows GUI quite unusable for morethan a handful of tasks until I found this little gem. It's freeware too.

PS: I just signed up. Bet you I can calculate more proteins for Genome@home than Tannin can for United Devices!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Tea said:
It's described in the downloads section on the front page - or it will be as soon as Coug gets off his arse and OKs my upload,...
Coug needs more than the usual 3-4 hours of sleep/day of hairy Aussie. Doug saw it before me though, so you didn't have to wait till I get off my ass.

Tea said:
PS: I just signed up.
Good thing for us. Welcome in the team, monkey.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
No results up yet though, because not long after I installed it my system went stupid and I couldn't even close anything using the task manager. Had to hit the reset switch.

Tried again, same result. Normal operation for a while, then screen refuses to update.

Only two things different: (a) PC-cillan loaded on Saturday morning (system ran fine for another 24 hours after that), (b) Genome@home. System crashed after 15 minutes or so. Closed GAH and it's been up for about six hours no problem. Could it be that I had the UD app running at the same time? Or something else?

If it makes a difference, Epox KT-266A, XP 1800 (43 degrees - nice), 512MB, Matrox G450, Tekram SCSI card, Realtek NIC, SB-128.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I had a few problems running the Genome client on Win9x OS. The safest way to close it when I had to shut the system down was to use ctrl+C. But I presume you use it on Win2K or Os/2.