Genome@Home

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thx for the download, Tea. I will find it very useful!!

C

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I'm downloading and checking out the apps, thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
I have have just finished setting up G@h on every computer here at home that is up full time. Thats 2xP5-133non-mmx with 64MB and 80MB running NTwkst. The one with 80MB only runs G@h as its purpose in life. I've also set up two G@h sessions on my dualCeleron 533. It has 512MB and runs Win2K. As each session takes only 15-20 MB of memory I'm pretty sure I'm OK here.

G@h and UD ran OK together. No adverse reactions. I have removed UD from my machines in order to focus my efforts.

On all my machines, I'm running G@h as a service. I never even see that it is running. I use cli tools to start, stop and check the status of the services if I need to. I am very grateful to Pradeep for introducing the GenomeSpy tool; now I can check on intermediate progress rather than only checking the stats page. I can provide instructions if necessary.

I am excedingly surprised how peppy NT is. I'm just beside myself. When comparing my P133,80MB,2GFireballTM on NT to my 2xCel533,512MB,8GWDEnterpriseSCSi on Win2K, the P133 is just more snappy. I have not optimised the services running on the machines, but even with G@h running on the P133 it is faster than with nothing installed on the DualCel. I'm now trying to remember why I ever switched over. The only reason I can think of not to switch back is my USB scanner.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Clippy-
What method are you using for creating a service??

Thanks,
C

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Woooo! Great work guys, we managed to build a small gap (252 units) between us and Team Pfeffer. It the first day in maybe a week that we process more units than they do. The war isn't over, we might be able to resist!

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hi everyone!

Been a BIT busy lately, and having some noisy motherboard fans again :(

Sold my Quantum Atlas3 SCA 18GB, put some noise insulating material in my case, bought some 19db pPapst fans ... And now I'm looking for some more storage, a 18GB x15-36lp, Atlas10k3 18gb and a Samsung 80gb are not enough.

Anyway, due to the "sound" problems mentioned above, the computer has been down during the nights, hopefully it's better now so it'l be up 24/7 again! And I'm putting my girlfriends 333MHz P2 to work, as soon as I find the WinXP version of the client...

Back to work, and to the crunching!!!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
That's good news JoJo. We badly need you 24/7. Team Pfeffer finally manged to pass us, but it doesn't mean we cannot reverse the steam.

I hope NRG=MC² will also be able to install the client so that it won't disturb him anymore.

Handruin

Administrator
Maybe you guys can help me out. On the quad Xeon, I have 4 instances of genome running, each instance in a separate directory and has a unique user ID number, but uses my name for results.

The problem is, every few days the client stops process units and eventually I have to go back in and start all of them again. How do I keep them running in Linux RH 7.2?

I was issuing this command using the root account:

nohup ./ghclient.x &

I ran that command so that I could log out of the account and let it run. Is there a better way to run it as a "service" like in windows? This would help us out a great amount as the damn thing stops every few days and I forget to check it.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Until you get better intel Handruin, you should set up an cron job to stop and restart the process. If you can easily come up with an appropriate time span ,that is.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Until you get better intel Handruin, you should set up an cron job to stop and restart the process. If you can easily come up with an appropriate time span ,that is.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I believe the linux client is not quite as stable as the windows version. Or it could be that trademark IntelDodgyMath :D

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I think the Bartender has begun to pull his weight at last! When do we pass Pfeffer again!?! Tea, we would like, nay, we require your assistance! Please summon Tannin to his feet, and pull his nose out of updating redhill.net. Assemble some machines and run Windows or some sort (NT 4.0 Workstation will be great).

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Genome @ Home does horrible things to my one and only net-connected Windows machine, good Sir. Tannin and I will have to put our heads together to figure out why. Somewhere in amongst the 17 other things we meant to do today.

All our other machines, about six of them, either don't run Windows or have no Internet connection.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Tannin, You could also run the client until such time as you can figure out how to network the machine. It will just keep working if you use the no net option.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Thanks Cliptin! I'll give that method a go. Actually I shouldn't need to, I already have internet connection sharing installed on my network (thanks to some help from Sol), it has come out of the box with OS/2 since, er 1996 or '93, I forget if it was version 4.0 or 3.0. ECS (lastest version) comes bundled with firewalls and servers and all sorts of fancy stuff.

I just have to take some time to figure out which of my settings is wrong on the main server, as I can TCP/IP happily away within the LAN, just not get outside the LAN.

This SOCKS thingie gives me an alternative method. That might be easier.

As a third alternative, I recently acquired a bit of dedicated hardware, a Bay Networks switch thingie with a half-dozen 10Mb/s network sockets and a 56k modem. They still cost a fortune but I got this one for nix. (That's "nothing", not "Unix".) It has a built in DHCP server in firmware.

So, method (a), method (b) or method (c)?

(Tannin! If you'd stop playing with those stupid MFM drives and drag youself into the 20th Century for a half hour now and then, you would have fixed all that stuff up years ago!)

(Oh shutup, Tea.)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Our Bartender has been on steroids lately. More productive than even Doug. Impressive. We now have four members in the three digits/day processed units, plus another who's very close to that beat too (JoJo).

This has allowed us to keep the pace with team Pfeffer during the last two days, not bad at all. All we need is either another 3 digits/day member or several smaller regular contributors and we might overtake team Pfeffer again.

But I'm not putting pressure on anyone to join the team. This project is only based on volontary contributions. I won't put a gun on anyone's head; I'm not Texan, I'm Québécois ;-)

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
Our Bartender has been on steroids lately. More productive than even Doug. Impressive. We now have four members in the three digits/day processed units, plus another who's very close to that beat too (JoJo).

This has allowed us to keep the pace with team Pfeffer during the last two days, not bad at all. All we need is either another 3 digits/day member or several smaller regular contributors and we might overtake team Pfeffer again.

But I'm not putting pressure on anyone to join the team. This project is only based on volontary contributions. I won't put a gun on anyone's head; I'm not Texan, I'm Québécois ;-)

Sorry Coug, the a-mail must have bounce because I have not received anything yet. handruin.com is no longer in service so it will be lost in the land of misguided e-mail.

I should be able to receive up to 25 MB in an e-mail according to Burst, but I haven't tried it. Let me know if you can't get the FTP to work, I not going to leave it open like that for long.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I've started running it again. For the time being anyway. Toggle Minimise puts anything I minimise in the tray and that sucks... bleh.

I'm looking for something else that will only minimise the programs I select. Oh and that Genome spy is junk :roll:

The search continues.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
NRG=MC²,

Hopefully, your return will fill the hole created by the departure of Bartender's soon-to-be-gone customers' box.

BTW, is "several box" writen "box" or "boxes"? My pocket dictionary doesn't tell me.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CougTek said:
NRG=MC²,

Hopefully, your return will fill the hole created by the departure of Bartender's soon-to-be-gone customers' box.

BTW, is "several box" writen "box" or "boxes"? My pocket dictionary doesn't tell me.

boxes

...and, they are boxes, as I do assemble plenty. So, as one goes, another gets hooked up. This makes the Bartender's input inconsistent (as you may have noticed). I'm also in the process of assembling an 8-port switch box so that I can run more than a couple systems at once when assembling boxes.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
What I meant was I was looking for a program that will let me minimise the programs that _I_ want to the tray - not all of them. I'm running it there in the task bar as usual till I find something that will let me select what to put in the tray and leave the rest alone in the taskbar. :wink:

Right now I've got a P3-733/256mb and a XP1800@1667MHz/512mb working on it.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
So the app will be out of the way. If it is something that you want open but don't want clogging up the taskbar, the best place to put it is in the tray. Since it will take up less room there.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
It's nice having my 8-port KVM switch operational. Presently I'm only running three systems through it, but I like the extra space. I'll need to get some more cables too.

Handruin

Administrator
Tea said:
But why would you want a minimized app in your taskbar? (I'm not arguing here, just don't understand.)

I like having items minimized in the task bar to allow for easy switching. If all my open programs minimized into one little icon next to my clock, it would add another click to open it and find them.

ALT + TAB is great, but not always the best way to find all my open programs. :)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I like how WInXP lets your previes what is actually inside the window you might be switching to while alt-tabbing.....

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
OMG my mid-year resolution is to improve my god dam typing.

Sorry guys. It has got to be either really amusing or really annoying!

I'm resolved to doing a better job!

C