I want to buy a new car

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, at least one automaker besides Tesla realizes this. However reprehensible VW's conduct here is, the fact remains emissions standards will be increasingly hard to meet. At some point it makes more sense to just say, screw it, we're done with internal combustion engines, than to spend inordinate R&D money trying to reduce emissions more and more.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
It's likely a complete urea injection system, then also package a DEF (diesel engine fluid - aka urea) tank etc. etc. It'll be a big tear up and the owner will have to monitor and maintain the DEF or the car will be forced into limp mode...

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I think VW just needed to spend $80/car on a urea filter.
Ain't so simple! What clocker said.

The days of "cheap, clean diesel" are over. Now for ICE vehicles, it's gasoline. Or electric, hydrogen fuel-cell and such technologies with their own unique problems.

I'm glad I bucked the trend here and bought a gasoline-engine car a couple of years ago. I have regretted it sometimes due to fuel cost (lower mileage, higher cost per liter) but have enjoyed the lower NVH levels and the sheer pleasure of driving it.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
In addition to mpg ratings, the EPA issued a certificate of conformity stating the agency has no issues or concerns about the emissions systems in the Chevrolet Colorado diesel, pictured, and the GMC Canyon diesel.
8)

Stereodude

Not really a
Yes, but the public has to show up and buy them instead of thinking diesel is a dirty word. Hopefully they will.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Yes, but the public has to show up and buy them instead of thinking diesel is a dirty word. Hopefully they will.

I see some value in the Diesel for a work truck or towing trailers, etc., but why would anyone in North America want the Diesel in an ordinary transportation vehicle?

LunarMist

Fuel economy

A full-sized sedan with hybrid power can achieve ~40/40 mpg, so I'm not seeing the Diesel as that attractive.
Of the six vehicles I'm considering, not one is available with a Diesel yet four have hybrids.

Meanwhile the Diesel engines are still noisier than gas engines and what is with the blue urea?
Maybe when fuel prices double or triple there will be more value for the average consumer.

Stereodude

Not really a
BMW and Mercedes sell them. Chevy has a diesel Cruz. So there are still some diesel cars out there outside of the VAG umbrella. I'm not saying you necessarily should buy one. I was just saying that if I was trying to maximize fuel economy I'd rather have a diesel than a hybrid.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
It all depends on fuel prices too. Diesel costs about 29% more per gallon that gasoline right now, in my area. ($2.57 vs. $1.99).

The diesel only gets 29% better mileage than the 3.6L V6 on the highway as well as in the city, so it is a wash with respect to fuel cost. Diesel is an expensive option so I would not opt for it, right now.

ddrueding

Fixture
No idea. Their website is frustratingly out of date for what seems to be a cool company that ships interesting products. Perhaps they are used to dealing directly with customers for their average price point.

LunarMist

No idea. Their website is frustratingly out of date for what seems to be a cool company that ships interesting products. Perhaps they are used to dealing directly with customers for their average price point.

Brabus seems like an awful name. :(

LunarMist

I finally have the car title for the current vehicle, so I can start looking in earnest.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I suppose it's a fleet vehicle paid by your company, in order to look as anonymous as possible. Is it gray or beige or is that too much details to provide?

LunarMist

I suppose it's a fleet vehicle paid by your company, in order to look as anonymous as possible. Is it gray or beige or is that too much details to provide?

No, this is for a personal car that I want to replace. Somehow I could not find the title after one of my relocations. I'm not stating the color again, but you would not be surprised. :D

LunarMist

I drove a couple of different cars and was not so impressed. :(

LunarMist

Is HIV always better than LED or sometimes the reverse? Is it correct that halogen is still worst?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I believe HID lamps perform better but are much more expensive. Performance of LED is about the same as Halogen I believe but there is more flexibility with the styling of the lights. I am no expert though.

LunarMist

Yeah that makes sense. I think car dealers are trying to sell us on the LED headlights being the best thing ever and I don't buy it.
This one guy wanted to take all my info for a credit application after I told him twice that financing was not an option. :arge:
Then they don't even know the specs of the various trim lines and claim something crappy is a good thing.

LunarMist

I'm already getting the spam. :( It's starting to look like I will need a special border. Back in the 60s and 70s it was common place, but I have no experience. What do you do?

ddrueding

Fixture
I've just made it very hard to get a hold of me. My mail is sorted and only bills make it to my desk. I have a work phone number, but the receptionist screens all calls and uses her discretion to dump most to a voicemail that I never check. My cell phone only rings if the caller is in my contacts. My e-mail has very effective SPAM filters (thanks Google!) and many custom rules on top of that. Sales and marketing e-mails that do make it through are archived and never responded to, even if I want the product (I'll contact the company directly if a need a sales rep).

Stereodude

Not really a
It's starting to look like I will need a special border. Back in the 60s and 70s it was common place, but I have no experience. What do you do?
It's pretty simple. Tell the salesperson you want to buy a car. You tell them the features and options. When they don't have one with the features you want on the lot they can check inventory around the country. If they can't get a car like you want, they will order it. They may try to get you to pay full MSRP when you order. Don't fall for that.

LunarMist

It's pretty simple. Tell the salesperson you want to buy a car. You tell them the features and options. When they don't have one with the features you want on the lot they can check inventory around the country. If they can't get a car like you want, they will order it. They may try to get you to pay full MSRP when you order. Don't fall for that.

Thanks. I definitely don't want to pay much more since the option is technically a credit, though I'm not doing it to save money.

LunarMist

I've just made it very hard to get a hold of me. My mail is sorted and only bills make it to my desk. I have a work phone number, but the receptionist screens all calls and uses her discretion to dump most to a voicemail that I never check. My cell phone only rings if the caller is in my contacts. My e-mail has very effective SPAM filters (thanks Google!) and many custom rules on top of that. Sales and marketing e-mails that do make it through are archived and never responded to, even if I want the product (I'll contact the company directly if a need a sales rep).

Do you mean at work? The vehicle is for personal use, and so are the e-mail and phone of course.