Intel 310-series SSDs

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I think that for notebooks these are really a good idea because they are small enough that a place can be found inside the case. The standard notebook HD can then just become a removable data drive.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I think that for notebooks these are really a good idea because they are small enough that a place can be found inside the case. The standard notebook HD can then just become a removable data drive.

All the tiny drives of various types will make finding an ultraportable that takes standard 2.5" x 9.5mm more and more difficult. :arge:

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Ultra portables as a class are already being wiped out by netbooks, and the ipad. The whole point of an ultra portable is to lose the weight and size of a standard notebook while retaining a minimal functionallity and to do that they all junk standard stuff like reasonable screen size and reasonable keyboards so what difference does a big HD make when there are smaller lighter weight alternatives?

These super small SSD's are not going to kill the ultra portable market, they will just lower the size and capability of the bottom even more. There will still be an entire spectrum of notebooks/netbooks and the market place will determine what is offered just like today. If these do kill the standard 2.5" notebook drive in this segment, it will just be because the marketplace no longer see's the need for them.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Ultra portables as a class are already being wiped out by netbooks, and the ipad. The whole point of an ultra portable is to lose the weight and size of a standard notebook while retaining a minimal functionallity and to do that they all junk standard stuff like reasonable screen size and reasonable keyboards so what difference does a big HD make when there are smaller lighter weight alternatives?

These super small SSD's are not going to kill the ultra portable market, they will just lower the size and capability of the bottom even more. There will still be an entire spectrum of notebooks/netbooks and the market place will determine what is offered just like today. If these do kill the standard 2.5" notebook drive in this segment, it will just be because the marketplace no longer see's the need for them.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The market for ultraportables is already based more on status than capability, but an Eee isn't the same thing as an X201 or Macbook Air and anyone who might buy one knows that. Some of the executive doofuses who carry those notebooks now might very well be able to get away with an ipad or some other tablet, but there's always going to be a legitimate need for a truly portable, powerful computing device.

I do think netbooks are going to swiftly vanish though.

LunarMist

I know, I know, but it SUCKS!

ddrueding

Fixture
That article called it the "Honda Accord" of SSDs. That sounds about right. Nothing groundbreaking, but cheap and super reliable. I suspect I'll be buying loads of the 40GB and 80GB versions.

LunarMist

So when will there be a new drive similar to the E series?

LunarMist

Yeah, it will take many months to gain an inkling on reliability unless they are true dogs.

ddrueding

Fixture
That, only time will tell. It not because there's an Intel logo on it that reliability is guaranteed (see for instance the P/H67 fiasco).

At least they started with good bones; from what I've read they included more spare chips for load balancing and a larger cache.