It's HOT

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!

ddrueding

Fixture
I cannot tolerate humidity. Here it is actually a little high today (60%). Normally it is closer to 50%. I hate that sticky feeling you get everywhere.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I cannot tolerate humidity. Here it is actually a little high today (60%). Normally it is closer to 50%. I hate that sticky feeling you get everywhere.
Well, you would absolutely hate NYC weather.

You never really get used to it, either. The few rare dry days here only serve to remind me how miserable it is the rest of the time. I guess on positive side, higher humdity is beneficial during the colder months.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I've been all over the world (7 continents) and stayed in many of them for longer periods. The 12 months I spent in the Caribbean were the most challenging.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've only done 6, Washington DC in August would be the worst, except that AC was plentiful. SE Asia wasn't as bad, but there were less opportunities for releif.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Washington, combined with Baltimore, is one of the three biggest metropolitain areas in the States. Why so many people live there if it's so unbearable during summer?

LunarMist

I've spent the full summer in northern Virginia and it is uncomfortable, though not unbearable unless you work outside all day or have no A/C. Anyway the Atlantic like many places in the US is only really hot/humid for a few months of the year. I do prefer the dry heat of Arizona or Nevada, even though it extends for a greater portion of the year. However, my overall preference would be somethwhere like Utah, Colorado or other places with 4 seasons.

LunarMist

Washington, combined with Baltimore, is one of the three biggest metropolitain areas in the States. Why so many people live there if it's so unbearable during summer?

Probably because they are rather old cities for the US. Washington DC is the national capital and Baltimore was/is a major port.

ddrueding

Fixture

The two biggest groups that live there are:

Politicans - who would trod on their grandmother and roast in hell to stay there.

Poor - who don't have the mobility and can't afford to live elsewhere.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've only done 6, Washington DC in August would be the worst, except that AC was plentiful. SE Asia wasn't as bad, but there were less opportunities for releif.
I don't know where in SE Asia you've been, but there is no way the heat and humidity in DC can compare to Taiwan, Japan, or even Florida (like West Palm Beach).

ddrueding

Fixture
I've done most of it, actually. While I was there it wasn't as bad. Trying to sleep in a room with 70% humidity and no AC is a challenge, but I remember DC being 90F and 90%, and that just killed me.

Handruin

Administrator
Yes, it is at high altitude and a bit further north. It gets quite cold in the winter. There was ice all over the place when we were there in March one time.

It's somewhere in the 6K-8K above sea level depending on where you go in the flagstaff area. It was snowing near the end of April when I was there in 2006.

When I was in Cedar Breaks National park in Utah, we were able to hit an altitude of 11,803FT at a point called Brian Head. I had not yet acclimated to the altitude, so it was tiring at times.

It was 110F in Las Vegas when I was there a few weeks ago. The picture I attaches was just before it went to 110. I actually didn't mind the 95-100F temps while traveling through Utah. It was dry enough that even at those temps, it was still more manageable when compared to home with the high humidity. The lack of humidity causes its own problems with my sinuses. I don't normally have any issue, but the dry climate started to bother me at times.

ddrueding

Fixture
Haven't done Florida, but Taiwan, Japan and Vietnam I did. Vietnam sucked a lot, for a lot of reasons, but the overriding memory was insects not humidity.

Handruin

Administrator
I dislike the electronic gas gauge. I don't like that I have to wait until the gas has dropped from a certain level before the electronic bar disappears. If the smallest unit of measurement was smaller (like 1/16th or 1/32nd) then I might like it better. The MFD was pretty basic and it even confused the rental person when they wrote down our mileage after returning the car. I had changed it from the odometer to the tripometer and the trip read some 1854.30 miles, the guy wrote down our return mileage as 18,543 miles because he couldn't figure out how to switch it back to the odometer...lol. It made it look like we put 14K miles on the car in two weeks.

LunarMist

The gauge should be in liters or gallons. How difficult is that after a century? Anyway I normally look at the miles remaining, although that is not so accurate either.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm fine with a percentage between full and empty for my fuel tank. It's no different than my mobile phone telling me a percentage rather than how many mAh are remaining.

LunarMist

% would be OK, too, but the values should be numerical. There is no need for a bar or gauge style, since the numbers change slowly.