Ivy Bridge details

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Nice article on Anandtech with some details on the upcoming Ivy Bridge CPUs from Intel.

Main points:
These are built using a 22nm process, which leads to improved power consumption.
Better onboard GPU.
Backwards compatible with current socket 1155 systems (may need a BIOS flash), but will will see new 7-series chipsets with native USB 3.0 controllers.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4830/intels-ivy-bridge-architecture-exposed

Handruin

Administrator
I'll probably be buying in on the Ivy bridge when it comes out. I skipped Sandy bridge because my current CPU has been fine so far and I don't really need an upgrade, but I would like one. They mentioned a minor 4-6% increase in speed clock for clock. The question will be how well does it overclock like Sandy Bridge does.

I'm curious of the importance of adding the digital random number generator at a level where they measure it at 2-3 Gb/ps. Are there that many pieces of software that need such large production volumes of random numbers, or is this for something else? I've understood in the past that CPUs are typically bad at generating random numbers because they're very predictable so I can see the value of having good random number generation capabilities, but why at such high rates?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
PNRG in high volume are typically in different crypto systems that use aged or cyclic keys.

Also don't forget this will be very handy for web servers as well for SSL operations.

It means for each new session won't have to spend as much time generating a new key to handle the encryption between hosts, and couple that with the AES-NI instruction set, most, and if not all crypto is now handled inside the CPU, making HTTPS traffic throughput nearly on par with non encrypted HTTP traffic throughput... Granted while a new key is only produced for each new session, the server will be able to handle that process a lot quicker now.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
On aspect of IVB I'm interested in is the power saving coming from the die shrink to 22nm, and the way it will trickle down to other CPUs including Celeron's and Atoms. Would be nice to get an i3 based Celeron in the same power envelope as a current generation Atom (that is under 10W), since the current i3 Celeron trounce the Atom in performance not only in CPU, but also GPU, and offer a solid competitor against the AMD E350.

Also the same tech could be applied to the Atom, and we could see top tier Atoms (N-Series at 1.66Ghz, w/1MB L2, dual core + HT + x64) at under 5W.

Handruin

Administrator
Looks like Ivy Bridge may offer native 4K HD video (topping out at a maximum of 4,096 x 4,096)! Too bad there are no affordable displays or interfaces to support that kind of bandwidth just yet.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have yet another task to build a mega high-end system. Do I need to buy another 1366 motherboard? When is the next batch of hex-core chips due?

Handruin

Administrator

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Ivy bridge for socket 1155 in a few months and then Ivy Bridge-E for socket 2011 in 2013? Is that the schedule of things to come?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I don't know if it's a SandyBridge, IvyBridge, SnowyBridge, SunnyBridge, WindyBridge or DirtyBridge, but there's supposed to be an 8-core/16-thread consumer-grade processor coming out soon from Intel and I can't wait to see it in my price lists.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have heard from multiple sources only the dual core variants are delayed, and only then because of an overstock of previous gen stuff. All else should be on time in quantity.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't know if it's a SandyBridge, IvyBridge, SnowyBridge, SunnyBridge, WindyBridge or DirtyBridge, but there's supposed to be an 8-core/16-thread consumer-grade processor coming out soon from Intel and I can't wait to see it in my price lists.

I'd like a StoneBridge, similar to the Force SSDs.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
30 - 50% better GPU performance over Sandy Bridge is certainly nothing to sneeze at, and those are the figures that are floating around the interwebs today. That would put Intel's IGP in-line with what AMD was offering two generations ago, or around half as fast as the current Radeon 6450 IGP.

Honest to crap I think the stated goal for integrated graphics at this point is "Can it run WoW at native panel resolution and a decent frame rate?"

LunarMist

I'm confused about the ivy CPUs. What will be the best one for the desktop that has the most cores? I might be upgrading from the old hexagonal core 4.3GHz 980X if there is enough improvement and it can use 32-48GB of RAM.

LunarMist

OKAY, you know what I mean - 6 cores. :) Usually I build new systems or upgrade in Q4, and I'm trying to figure out what the options are. I would assume there is or will soon be a major improvement over 2-year old technology, but sometimes there are periods of stagnation and it is not worthwhile.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
If you have an i7 980X, I wouldn't upgrade before the 8-core Intel consumer processors are released. Otherwise, the improvement won't be much noticeable.

I hope you'll sell that i7 980X when you'll upgrade and not thrash it. I would understand thrashing the hard drive since you're the parano type, but the motherboard/CPU/RAM, that would make no sense.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm confused about the ivy CPUs. What will be the best one for the desktop that has the most cores? I might be upgrading from the old hexagonal core 4.3GHz 980X if there is enough improvement and it can use 32-48GB of RAM.

The Ivy Bridge-based i7-3770K will be the fastest available with the following specs:
  • Cores 4/8
  • Frequency (GHz) 3.5
  • Socket 1155
  • Z77 Chipset
  • Max SC Turbo (GHz) 3.9
  • L3 Cache 8MB
  • Graphics HD 4000
  • Memory Support 1600MHz and 1333MHz DDR3
  • Dual channel memory
  • Max RAM slots 4
  • Max RAM size 32GB (can't confirm this 100%, but motherboards show limits at 32GB on Z77)
  • TDP 77W
  • unlocked

OKAY, you know what I mean - 6 cores. :) Usually I build new systems or upgrade in Q4, and I'm trying to figure out what the options are. I would assume there is or will soon be a major improvement over 2-year old technology, but sometimes there are periods of stagnation and it is not worthwhile.

If you have an i7 980X, I wouldn't upgrade before the 8-core Intel consumer processors are released. Otherwise, the improvement won't be much noticeable.

I hope you'll sell that i7 980X when you'll upgrade and not thrash it. I would understand thrashing the hard drive since you're the parano type, but the motherboard/CPU/RAM, that would make no sense.

I don't think Ivy Bridge is for you Lunar. Like the mechanical one suggested, it won't help you to change from a 980X. The next generation "enthusiast" chips based on Ivy bridge with more than 4 cores aren't expected until mid 2013 based only on rumors I've seen floating around. I haven't seen details on what those chips might offer, but my hopes would be 6 or 8 cores.

LunarMist

Thanks . So if I understand correctly, Intel is slowing down lately and the next CPU for me would be the 22nm Haskell. It would be nice to have integrated video, but perhaps there is no room with all the cores. 2013 is so far out I cannot plan that yet.

LunarMist

I keep the old CPU/mainbroad/RAM and move it to the older computer and so on. The nine HDs and two SSDs stay with the case. The upgrade cycle for drives is not on any particular cycle, but rather on the as needed basis. I just replaced the case and modified it last year, so that should last at least for another build.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks . So if I understand correctly, Intel is slowing down lately and the next CPU for me would be the 22nm Haskell. It would be nice to have integrated video, but perhaps there is no room with all the cores. 2013 is so far out I cannot plan that yet.

Yes, that's what it looks like to me also. I don't personally care for the video in an i7. I'd rather there be 2-4 more cores.

There may be minor improvements in Sandy bridge E (LGA-2011 Intel's X79 chip set) with the Intel Core i7 3960X, but I wouldn't build/rebuild if I had a 980X setup for the cost involved with the 3960X.

LunarMist

Assuming the cost is about two grand for CPU/board/RAM alone, it should achieve the typical square root of two speed improvement. Less than that is of dubious value.

Handruin

Administrator
That's why I said I would not upgrade in your situation, but that's the option you have available unless if you want to jump to the next level and get into a dual socket Xeon. That of course depends on you being CPU-bound and having more cores will allow you to get more done. Only you can make the call on return on investment here.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If you check the motherboard specs, you may be able to install a Xeon processor in a desktop/workstation mother board rather than using a server board.
My ASUS P8B-WS is running a Xeon E31230 with 4 cores plus hyper threading. Total of 8 cores. It was cheaper than an i7. But I believe it is an i7 with enhancements.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I believe that -WS label indicates a workstation class board. When I tried an LGA1155 Xeon in a P67-based board, it wouldn't boot at all.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The Intel DP67DE, Intel DH67BL, Intel DZ68DB, Intel [FONT=helvetica, arial, verdana, sans-serif]DH67CF and some others list some Xeon E3 series CPUs as compatible. Although they might not be the super-duper ones.[/FONT]

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I thought that as long as the socket was the same, the only change needed to the BIOS was to add the Xeon CPUID. Is there something I'm missing that is preventing all the manufacturers from adding appropriate Xeons universally?

ddrueding

Fixture
I thought that as long as the socket was the same, the only change needed to the BIOS was to add the Xeon CPUID. Is there something I'm missing that is preventing all the manufacturers from adding appropriate Xeons universally?

Probably just protecting the margins on their "server/workstation" parts.