July 22nd Intel price drops

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I would speculate that the 975X is an Intel chipset. Searching Intels and ASUS sites might give you some info on what CPU is supported.

Bozo :joker:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So my 7-month old system is completely obsolete. Great. :(

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Yes, that seems to be it, thanks. If no CPU upgrade is possible I will leave it alone until ~2009. I will not suffer the full reinstall process anytime soon. It is too time consuming and painful.

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
Wavemaker said:
...So if they intend to ramp up 1333 MHz Core2 (non-Xeon) this early, it looks like there's a decent possibility the upcoming X38 chipset will support 1600 MHz FSB along with an upper-crusty line of 45nm Core2 (non-Xeon) processors supporting 1600 Mhz FSB...

Well, it seems 1333 MHz FSB will be around for at least a year, until Nehalem shows up.

The Nehalem processor family will be the first Intel processors to have an on-die memory controller, but, early word now has it that a (budget?) model line of Nehalem processors will also be available *without* an on-die memory controller.

ddrueding said:
Version 2 PCI Express? Now I know I haven't been reading enough...

The introduction of PCIe V2 has been moved forward significantly. The graphics card duopoly have been the ones screaming the loudest for PCIe V2.

Other than the minor tweaks, the big changes with PCIe V2 will be double-the-bandwidth of each lane and better support for virtual I/O for virtual server / workstation operations. PCIe V2 is fully backward-compatible with all revisions of PCIe.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
What's impressive is the price of the new quad core Xeons. Even the most expensive model at 3.13 GHz is less than the price of the 5160 dual core @ 3 GHz. I thought 1333 FSB would matter for the quads but it looks like it only delivers a few percentage points of performance.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Most NDAs lifting on a Monday do so ~16:00 Aus EST (GMT +10), which is about 1:40 from this post. I'd expect the announcements then.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I am interested in this quad core CPU, what kind of performance enhancement will it have over a dual core of similar speed? I think I will wait until it is under $250 though.

ddrueding

Fixture
Depends on what (or how many things) you are doing. Many tasks don't use multiple cores, so you would only be using 1/4 or your CPU. If you have a lot of things going at once, it will really pay off.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Depends on what (or how many things) you are doing. Many tasks don't use multiple cores, so you would only be using 1/4 or your CPU. If you have a lot of things going at once, it will really pay off.

That's what I figured. I would probably be fine with a Core 2 Duo, I guess I will just check out the prices when I am ready to buy.

So, when will the best time to buy an Intel CPU? If the price drops didn't affect the market that much maybe it is better to wait?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Price cuts? Price cuts? What price cuts?

Apparently I was thinking the Core 2 Duo for the masses was going to have it's price reduced. Now I don't feel so bad about buying mine last month.

Bozo :joker:

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Yesterday, I could have sold it for 335$CAN. Today, the best price I'm willing to do for the Q6600 is 365$CAN + shipping. My main CPU supplier told me that everyone sold out yesterday and today the price went up like crazy. It costs me 37$ more to buy one today than it did yesterday, so at 365$, I'm making less money (basicly none) than I could have made yesterday.

I sold one today in a computer system I quoted and I don't know where/when/how I'll get it. Intel should have stocked more to meet the demand. It's not like if it was that hard to foresee.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, thanks for the inside scoop, Coug. Looks like Intel got what they wanted with their press leak. If you don't mind, put in a word here when the price resumes it's downward slide.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yep. It seems a lot of people told their friends to buy on July 22nd, and either didn't notice that they price wasn't where they expected, or couldn't wait any longer even though they would pay more.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Out of curiosity, did the other Intel chips go down as much as expected, or did they also do a bounce?
I know at least the E6700 (dual core) bounced too. 25$CAN more than Monday. Today the Core 2 Quad Q6600 dropped a little. I can sell it at 349.99$CAN.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Well, $266 was the disty price per chip in 1000 chip lots, so it was never going to get to $266 on this price drop.

Technically true, but historicly inaccurate. Historicly, the stand-alone retail CPU's sell at the 1000 chip lot distributer prices at the standard internet retailers (like newegg) and have for an aweful lot of years. Part of the reason, that particular price gets quoted in the press so much is that people expect to be able to buy them at that price.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
test to see if this will post ....

By the way, I got a good deal from my local frys on a Quad 6600 with an ECS motherboard ($279 July 4th sale). So I built it, and have officially replaced my 3 P4's with that one machine. Total cost was around $700 [($279 + $119 (P180) + $79 (2GB OCZ PC2-6400) + $199 (750W PC Power and cooling quad PS)]

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
By the way, I got a good deal from my local Frys on a Quad 6600 with an ECS motherboard ($279 July 4th sale). So I built it, and have officially replaced my 3 P4's with that one machine. Total cost was around $700 [($279 + $119 (P180) + $79 (2GB OCZ PC2-6400) + $199 (750W PC Power and cooling quad PS)]

Space holder because this paragraph refusing to save ....

The three P4's were getting around 700PPD for a net increase of 1500PPD. I figure that the entire transaction should be paid in full in roughly three years, just by the decrease in electricity cost alone.

The reason, my PPD didn't immediately go up immediately is that it got hot here so I shut down one pod of four machines just to keep my place even close to comfortable. When it gets 80+ outside, it gets really hot inside... This week, it cooled down, so I restarted the pod and my PPD score has been rising.

My next thought is should I replace four X2 4600's (turning them on only when specificly needed) with one more 24x7 Quad 6600. The PPD would be roughtly equal and payback time period will only be two years (an extra machine taken out of service). The two alternatives are simply to wait for the .45 chips to come out or totally scavange one 4600 machine reusing the case and PS thus saving $300 more dollars (yes, I know I can get a cheaper case and PS but I probably can't get a similar deal on the CPU+MB) and thereby dropping the payback time to less than a year. All good stuff

I'm also considering, in the back of my mind, replacing the junk ECS MB with a good motherboad and a Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme heat-sink just to see how much I can OC. The numbers at www.fahinfo.net say I can get 3200PPD by simply OC'ing 2.4GHz to 3.2GHz and that should be doable using the Intel retail heatsink though it probably sound like a jet engine. Using the ThermalRight, Anand-tech is getting 3.9+GHz ...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
By the way, the forums seem to be having problems with me posting or editing the above message so part of the second paragraph is missing. I was trying to ID the specific part that it wouldn't take by editing a message and adding pieces till it would fail ....

The specific symptom is for me to post and then it would take forever to actually post it while telling me to wait (till I would give up).

Sorry

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Now I'm unsure which to get the E6750 ($209) or the Q6600 ($289).
What do you think?
If just for folding I should pick the Q6600 correct?

Questions on my mind:
Which runs hotter? I'm going to use the stock cooler unless it doesn't fit in my microatx case NSK2400.
Will power requirements be an issue with the 380W power supply in the NSK2400?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Now I'm unsure which to get the E6750 ($209) or the Q6600 ($289).
What do you think?
If just for folding I should pick the Q6600 correct?
Yes
Which runs hotter?
105W for the Q6600, 65W for the E6750. Answer : Q6600.
I'm going to use the stock cooler unless it doesn't fit in my microatx case NSK2400.
It fits.
Will power requirements be an issue with the 380W power supply in the NSK2400?
No. Unless you do something stupid and try to put a 225W HD2900XT into the system. 380W is well enough for a 105W CPU, reasonable (not insane) graphic card, any µATX motherboard and RAM and four or less drives.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
"One" more question before I pick the Q6600.
Let's assume I pick the Q6600 and slap it in a motherboard with support for the 1333 Mhz FSB. Next year when the intel die shrunk native quad core chips are out, will they work in my G33 based motherboard? Or will there be a different socket or chipset? Or will I need DDR3 for that?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I think I confirmed my question about the upcoming 45nm penryn processors is a yes. So I bought the items.
Antec NSK2400
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
Intel Q6600 (retail so I can use stock cooler)
4GB DDR2 memory
Optiarc AWG170S-B2