Lenovo Thinkpads

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Given the number of other notebooks I've seen with cracked or missing hinges, I'm not sure if that's funny or not.

For what it's worth, my experiences with the X200 series lead me to think that they could break more often. They have more fiddly parts like the rotating touchscreen, and they rely on the ultrabase for some functionality and which more than doubles the weight and thickness of the unit. The notebook itself seems well constructed but I can see how it could be troublesome, especially for idiots who won't undock it from the base.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Given the number of other notebooks I've seen with cracked or missing hinges, I'm not sure if that's funny or not.

I appreciate the quality hinges on the Lenovos for sure. I think it is one of those little details of Lenovo quality.

Watch the video for at least 15sec for teh funneh.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What are those tiny human figures doing in the background? Is that supposed to be a joke?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's still a 1500 dollar laptop.

Panasonic W8 would be the answer for a toughbook, at around 1100-1200, but, it specs out REALLY slow.

ddrueding

Fixture
The $3k+ X201 arrived. Frigging awesome. Insanely fast, ultra-portable, and feature packed. Only complaint is the touchpad size. I wonder if it is larger if you don't opt for the joy-nipple.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
My T410 is perfect in that respect.

One thing I have found that is annoying: I can not freely use both sets of mouse buttons with the touchpad. It seems that when I use the nipple buttons it disables the touchpad for a couple seconds. I thought the smaller touchpad size was fine but the larger one is fine too.

Handruin

Administrator
One thing I have found that is annoying: I can not freely use both sets of mouse buttons with the touchpad. It seems that when I use the nipple buttons it disables the touchpad for a couple seconds. I thought the smaller touchpad size was fine but the larger one is fine too.

I wonder if that can be configured with the touch software? I can use both at the same time without any delay on my T500.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I wonder if that can be configured with the touch software? I can use both at the same time without any delay on my T500.

Maybe, but I haven't changed anything in there and I can't find anything.

Do you guys have both of them enabled in the driver?

Driver 15.1.19.0

ddrueding

Fixture
They both work, but I haven't made any changes to anything. I tested the X201 within a minute of turning it on for the first time.

Sol

Storage is cool
A relative of mine is looking to replace the laptop he runs his business on. He's asked for something rugged (That'll stand up to the attentions of a new puppy or being dropped on the floor) and fast. Usage is mostly web based stuff, but he also uses a few VMs so I could see this thing needing to run up to 3 copies of Windows 7 at once.

A Thinkpad seems like a no brainer as does an SSD and a bucket load of RAM, I don't think it has to be all that portable so a T510 or a W701 are topping my list at the moment. I'm guessing the T510 is just the next iteration of the T410 so it's a solid contender. Does anyone have any experience with the W701 or it's predecessors? It seems like it could be a good option since it offers the option of a larger screen and possibly raided ssds and 16GB of RAM which should help fulfill the "fast" requirement...

I am kind of wondering when we'll get to see fixed Sandy-Bridge based Thinkpads but I don't think he'll want to wait around for that.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I am kind of wondering when we'll get to see fixed Sandy-Bridge based Thinkpads but I don't think he'll want to wait around for that.
With the recently found bug in their chipsets, I wouldn't be too eager to buy one. Intel is supposed to ship revised versions of the chipsets by the end of February for the laptop version. How much it will affect the arrival of the mobile version, that I have no idea.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
A relative of mine is looking to replace the laptop he runs his business on. He's asked for something rugged (That'll stand up to the attentions of a new puppy or being dropped on the floor) and fast. Usage is mostly web based stuff, but he also uses a few VMs so I could see this thing needing to run up to 3 copies of Windows 7 at once.

I have a T510 maxed out with 8G memory and running several VMs but no SSD. The larger 15" screen is helpful and very portable. I'd recommend it.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Very cool.

Has anyone noticed that Lenovo has deleted ALL 13.3" screen models?

First the X3xx series, then the Edge 13" - the video for the latter is still on their website. :roll:

So you can have either an over-sized netbook ("notbook" from the review) or move straight into a 14". What happened to the idea of a truly portable (<3.5lb) laptop with 5/6 1080 resolution?

I've got a brand new Dell Latitude 13" right here, no DVD so it's fashionably thin and just 3.36lb; I'll bet they can't make 'em fast enough.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Age is not what caused Time to not understand you (regionality might be a better reason). He's about one and a half times your age.

In my day there were adding machines before the calculators. :) I never was any good at that without looking. Some of my classmates have children older than DD.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You forgot your sig. ;)

Lenovo used to use Samsung SSDs; have they switched or was yours a special case?

ddrueding

Fixture
You forgot your sig. ;)

Lenovo used to use Samsung SSDs; have they switched or was yours a special case?

It was a standard option, and the only SSD on the build list. I'm hesitant to add /another/ machine to that sig...it's a little large as it is.

David:
How about some test numbers for the SSD speed?

The machine isn't running at the moment, I'm having a custom mount made for the car. I hope to have it drive a touchscreen on the dash and tie into the stereo.