Santilli

Hairy Aussie
WOW. Sucktacular Passmark processor scores for that cpu:
AMD E-240 911

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
WOW. Sucktacular Passmark processor scores for that cpu:
AMD E-240 911

The upgrade to the E-350 is a good idea. Remember this a platform for balanced cpu/gpu + 6 hours of battery life. If you want an i7 with a huge passmark number and 1.5 hours of battery life the x120e is def not for you.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The upgrade to the E-350 is a good idea. Remember this a platform for balanced cpu/gpu + 6 hours of battery life. If you want an i7 with a huge passmark number and 1.5 hours of battery life the x120e is def not for you.

I find that with my Cf-51's, and similar numbers, the laptop is really
barely tolerable after working on current machines. That's with a SSD.

I suspect the I3 or i5 might be a bit better choices, and, I'm also concerned that the other components in such a machine might provide bottlenecks that slow the entire system to a crawl.

Hence my interest in DD's testing his X210, to find out what the hard drive numbers are, and, the passmark numbers, though we have those already.

I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a new laptop, since 7 pounds is a bit of a drag to lug around, and, it takes up a lot of space. The main reason is it's just slow. The IDE interface is a large bottle neck, and, even at 65 mb/sec, it's not fast enough to give me warm and fuzzies.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Not that I take much notice of Passmark, but:

Isn't 911 about the same as your newer CF-51? That's a T2500, right?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Booting, surfing the web, opening software, just feels a bit slow.
And yes, it's a T2500.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The T420 has a 16:9 screen and I would like to know what they are smoking that they think it's going to hit 15 hours of battery life.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Only a 320GB max. HD size? It's a standard ~5lb. machine, not a netbook. Lendovo, thy name is crap. :frusty:

LunarMist

Who said anything about the T420 being a netbook or a notbook? :scratch:

I mean that is not so small as to need a sub-mini, low capacity drive. There is no reason for the Lendovo not to accommodate a standard 2.5" 9.5mm drive. The Macs even fit the 12.5mm drives.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I mean that is not so small as to need a sub-mini, low capacity drive. There is no reason for the Lendovo not to accommodate a standard 2.5" 9.5mm drive. The Macs even fit the 12.5mm drives.

"T/X-series will have mini mSATA 80GB Intel 310-series SSD support (SSD mSata + HDD support, OR SSD 2.5"). mSata SSD same performance as the X-25M, but 1/8th the size. Very fast boot times. Uses the WWAN slot, so no 3G + this I guess."

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-CES-2011/T420S-can-t-wait-for-it-when/m-p/375501

If that is correct it can take a 2.5" drive.

Stereodude

Not really a
I spec'd out a Lenovo T420 tonight and was disappointed to see that Lenovo is further scaling back their warranty options. :tdown:

Now you get either the 1 year depot warranty standard or the only upgraded warranty offered... A 3 year priority onsite w/ accidental damage coverage for a scant $329. What happened to the $99 3 year depot warranty upgrade Lenovo used to offer? :scratch:

LunarMist

$329 is scant, my ass. Maybe it makes sense for a busines to have on site service, but who wants to take a day off of work to have a notebook checked out at home. It's not a refrigerator or HVAC system.

Mercutio

The $329 warranty includes accidental damage coverage, not just defect issues. I'd think long and hard about whether it's worth 20% - 40% of the purchase price of the notebook, but it's also something they discount relatively frequently.

Mercutio

I bought one of those $500 Asus i5s that woot.com was offering on Monday. I took it out this morning and I'm looking at it. It doesn't appear to be constructed differently from any other $500 plastic notebook. I'm thinking "This is the company that supposedly makes the most generally reliable notebooks on the market? Really?"

But I suppose I'll see.

Handruin

Administrator
I know...it pisses me off also. I always torque my damn hand trying to use it. It's probably the one thing that really annoys me about my Thinkpad.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
WinXP/Vista/7 (and 2k) can remap the keys so maybe KeyTweak would help? I've used it in the past for my annoying wireless keyboard that has a del key where ctrl should be...

Last edited:

Stereodude

Not really a
Why don't you use the BIOS option to swap the Fn and Ctrl keys? You have a T410, right?
Yes, I have a company provided T410. I haven't been into the BIOS yet. Can I physically swap the keys after I swap them in the BIOS?

Edit: Nm I forgot the keys aren't the same size.

Stereodude

Not really a
:idea: Someone should market replacement keys for the Lenovo keyboard so the markings match after the BIOS switch.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
My T510 has the bios option. I also thought replacement keys would be a nice option but don't look at the keyboard that often anyway.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Heads up on the T420s: Batterius Suckis

Found this link earlier in the week literally two hours after I helped someone walk through and place an order for one (loaded to the gills; great discount deal plus it was going to be picked up on a corporate tab). The only reason I happened to come across it was because I wanted to follow up on something, completely unrelated, that tweaked my curiousity during the configuration process. Anyway, really disappointing to find the battery info after-the-fact -- and, highlighting the very obvious, completely defeats the purpose of having a high end mobile business laptop. Fortunately, after a bit of phone work the next morning, the order was canceled and a new order for a regular T420 was put in (though, I'm beginning to think that should have gone with the x220 instead -- it uses a IPS panel). Which brings me to me next point of contention with the 14" models -- I really wish Lenovo would stop using the most bloody aweful crappy TN panels possible.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
hmm, I think I may have just contradicted myself in the other thread*. So let me restate it -- the crappy panel isn't the worst you can find out there in the wild, but it certainly seems like they are using the worst ones they could find at the cheapest price point. Sucks to see that on the T line

* other thread's context is about an L412, but I'm pretty darn sure that they use the same panels as the T4x0

Mercutio

I took it out this morning and I'm looking at it. It doesn't appear to be constructed differently from any other $500 plastic notebook. I'm thinking "This is the company that supposedly makes the most generally reliable notebooks on the market? Really?"

As of today, the optical drive on that unit has failed and if the machine has been in a power saving mode, sound does not function until it's rebooted. Go Asus.