Mirrorless Cameras (MILC) and Lenses

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Website
s-laker.org
Apparently the next wave of pro bodies will support quad rather than dual pixel autofocus, and it's fairly reasonable to think we might get real autofocus improvements in firmware over time as well. For the majority of my shooting, the eye autofocus is doing exactly what I want. Unless I screw up my metering, I'm probably getting very good pictures out of it. Of course, probably 98% of the pictures I take involve things with traditional eyeballs, so YMMV.

I decided against the R5 precisely because I didn't feel like it was offering anything extra that I wasn't also getting with the R6, other than the additional pixels. But it turns out that there's something good to be said for keeping twice as many shots on an SD card and just as much for batch processing them in half the time.

I recently had an opportunity to rent the RF 70-200 and try it out vs my Sigma Sport 70-200 and while I can't say that the Canon lens took better photos, it was a full pound lighter. I'm not sure if that's worth an extra $1000, but my shoulders appreciated it. My Sigma lenses are all hefty compared to the Canon equivalents.

Mercutio

Website
s-laker.org
This was originally going to be a question specifically for LM but I'll throw it out there just in case as a topic of broader interest. Lunar just mentioned his his workflow in another thread and I'm interested in knowing what other people do.

Culling photos is a real issue for me lately. I shot almost 20,000 pictures in June. Does anybody have any specific advice for choosing what to keep? Helper software?

My software workflow is to dump my card to a folder named by date and subject, import everything into a Capture One catalog, batch-apply whatever exposure / preset / noise reduction and to do corrective work (95% of the time that's mild skin smoothing, covering bruises or wrinkles and fixing flyaway hairs) with Luminar. Luminar isn't a feature complete replacement for something like Photoshop, but it does do a good jump of smoothing skin without making it look like plastic. I can't bring myself to give money to Adobe or to install a pirated copy of Creative Suite though, which might be holding back my editing capabilities.

After editing and batch processing, I dump exported JPGs to a Google Photos album and let my model or models know they're there to be viewed. In theory I should probably be putting up 50 - 100 pictures instead of all 2000 from a shoot, but I'm very often surprised by what photos my models like best. Their eye for keeper pictures is often different from mine.

I do video editing in either Resolve, which I'm still learning, or Vegas Studio, which I used for years and know pretty well. I mostly shoot 4k, which I render out as 1080p. Here, the question is whether I should bother to keep the original footage once I've rendered it. No one ever asks to see it and in fact no one has ever asked for a 4k render after I've delivered 1080p. I use a mix of my Canon R6 and an RP, sometimes mixing in an Action Cam. Some day I hope I'll have a drone to use as well. I've only been doing serious video at all for the last few months, though, and there's been a real learning curve between dealing with a gimbal, learning about mics and color matching across multiple cameras. I have yet to shoot a video I'm really proud of, but I'm getting better at it.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
Try Photomechanic or BreezeBrowser Pro. Only the former supports the MAC.

Mercutio

Website
s-laker.org
I have a couple Macs sitting around, but nothing I'd choose to use in a photography workflow. I definitely notice that a lot of the tools that get recommended for this work are Mac-only though, and a lot of others are subscription based, which is a nope for other reasons.

I can see the appeal of a 12" M1 Mac with a couple card readers and USB ports in a tablet form factor, but Apple doesn't make that device and doesn't seem interested in doing so, either.

I've been playing with a tool called Optyx, which does several sorts of AI analysis. I pointed it at 2500 photos and it selected about 250 for more attention, which feels a lot more manageable. It took about 5 minutes to chew through my CR3s, which is a lot less time than I'd spend reviewing them. I will note that it got all my personal 5-star images and left in a burst sequence of my model doing a handstand. Pretty neat.

Photomechanic, at $140, seems a little bit dear, but I haven't tried it yet, either.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
Why are you shooting 2500 frames in a session? Are there a dozen or more subjects, like some events and each needs multiple options?

Mercutio

Website
s-laker.org
Why are you shooting 2500 frames in a session? Are there a dozen or more subjects, like some events and each needs multiple options?
It's very common for me to spend all day with someone, with multiple changes in clothes and of location. Summertime has been very rough on my SD cards. Being near a major city, a national park, several beaches and the one of the rust belt centers for urban exploration, I've been a lot more active than I would be otherwise. I've had way too many "We'll do that some day."-plans come to pass lately.

I probably should start charging, but I've gotten to do a lot of cool things, especially as Chicago has recently returned to something like normality.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
I use the Sony CFe cards in the R5, but I suppose the R6 can more easily get by with SDxC UHS-II cards.
I suggest that you think and plan more, and learn to shoot less. That will save time and you will obtain better results in the long run.