More Vista nonsense

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Did you offer to sell it on eBay for her and use the proceeds for a new model?

Apparently money isn't much of an issue for her so much as principle. I suggested a $900 Dell Latitude and a $1500 Thinkpad T61 and she went with the Thinkpad. Maybe 'cause it's what I was showing her. She liked that things were "bigger" (1024x768) on my screen.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Apparently Vista SP1, doesn't offer any performance increase at all. Microsoft's moving even further backwards. Good for them.

On another note, does anyone find Vista filesaving dialogs take ages to open, network folders hang for a long time, and domain logins will take up to 2 minutes sometimes on Vista computers. It's absolutely ridiculous that I have to wait a minute or two for the Save As dialog in CS3 or OpenOffice apps to appear.

This is with Vista Ultimate on a Q6600 with 8GB of RAM, and with Vista Business with E6600 and 4GB of RAM. Wasn't disk caching supposed to be improved? Ridiculous crap. If I didn't need the CS3 apps I would never touch Vista again.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
On another note, does anyone find Vista filesaving dialogs take ages to open, network folders hang for a long time, and domain logins will take up to 2 minutes sometimes on Vista computers.

Yep, have had to domain login problem, but not the file-open problem.

(HP 6701b laptop, C2D T7500, 2GB RAM, etc).

Mercutio

It's the same for all 32 bit versions of Windows, including Server, though certain hardware exists that has a workaround for the limit.

Mercutio

Another annoyance: to prepare Vista install images, I have to download 1GB of crap from MS. For 2000, XP, Server 2003, automated installs requires something less than 1MB of extra files.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I got this info from MS' website in the summer, and made a table for my reference.

The following table specifies the limits on physical memory.

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Physical memory limits                              | 32-bit Win | 64-bit Win |
Win Server "Longhorn", Std Ed ..................... |     4 GB   |     32 GB  |
                                                    |            |            |
Win Server "Longhorn", Std Ed (Server Core install) |     4 GB   |     32 GB  |
Win Server 2003, Std Ed SP1 ....................... |     4 GB   |     32 GB  |
Win Server 2003, Std Ed ........................... |     4 GB   |     16 GB  |
Win Vista Ultimate ................................ |     4 GB   |    128 GB  |
Win Vista Enterprise .............................. |     4 GB   |    128 GB  | 
Win Vista Business ................................ |     4 GB   |    128 GB  | 
Win Vista Home Premium ............................ |     4 GB   |     16 GB  |
Win Vista Home Basic .............................. |     4 GB   |      8 GB  |
Win XP ............................................ |     4 GB   |    128 GB  |

Mercutio

Server 2003 "Enterprise" and "Datacenter" can use 8GB and 32GB, respectively, on 32bit platforms with appropriate hardware support (PAE).

On the other hand, if you're shelling out for Windows Datacenter, you also get a full time Microsoft employee to help maintain it...

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I'll second that.

I don't believe that CS3 will run on 64 bit OSs.
No, it runs fine (except for the ridiculously slow "Save As:" dialog). Saving takes forever too.

And the reason I bothered with Vista is that the computer has 8GB of RAM. XP 64 wasn't an option, because hardware I had wasn't supported. It seems a lot manufacturers skipped XP64 and made drivers for 64-bit Vista (of course, a lot of manufacturers have skipped 64-bit all together...

Mercutio

I've loaded betas of Longhorn server a couple times now. The "server" parts seem basically untouched, but the sluggishness and unreasonably high RAM use that are in Vista are present in Longhorn as well. Actually I think that if you dig back far enough, you'll find a post by me on that subject. I couldn't get it to recognize existing Windows SoftRAIDs, for instance.

ddrueding

Fixture
Ugh. No thanks. Adoption of that is going to be horrible. People may like to screw around with their desktops, but those in charge tend to make reasoned decisions WRT production servers. What carrots are the offering? DX10 and Aero aren't going to cut it.

Mercutio

I'm sure you all know that there's a nifty little hack that reports an OEM BIOS to Vista so you can activate with a Dell/Lenovo/Acer/Asus serial number?

Recent experience suggests to me that some new motherboards will continue to report correct BIOS information despite the installation of that hacked file, even on Vista systems that have not been updated from original installation media.

I thought a few people here might be interested to know that.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!

Mercutio

It'll be annoying for a while... and then policy will change and it'll become deeply sucky, like WGA lockout is in XP right now.

ddrueding

Fixture
...and that is not counting all the other threads that have mentioned it as well, or the problems people have that are attributable to Vista.