More Vista nonsense

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
All of them.

I'm serious. I can't think of one single thing that's better in Vista as compared with XP. I'm sure there are one or two minor things, but I can't actually bring an example to mind.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Here is another one to add to the list... (The 15 biggest Tech Disappointments). Guess which is #1?

Not surprising, considering the hype surrounding the release of Vista; Bigger, Newer, Better, etc...

And what did we get? An OS with so much bloat in the UI, added DRM at ever layer, a crippled sound-system (aka no/little hardware acceleration), WGA overblown, the Allow/Cancel pop-up, missing keynote features (as advertised 2-3yrs prior to it's release) and a steady stream of business applications that no longer work 100% on the platform.

I've been using Vista x64 Business at work for a while now, and while I don't "hate" or "dislike" Vista, I find very little in it to sell as an upgrade from XP...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
All of them.

I'm serious. I can't think of one single thing that's better in Vista as compared with XP..

A few things...
Text scaling is a dream compared to XP - much better for very high resolution screens.
The network printer wizard works a billion time better.
File copies have an accurate timer (even if Vista is subjectively about 1/3 the speed of XP for network copies, even before the sound issue).
Parental controls are surprisingly useful.
Better games, spiffy wallpapers, enjoyable sample music.

On the other hand, explorer crashes constantly for no reason, sometimes my classroom PCs start up in 800x600, it's substantially slower at everything, UAC is utterly senseless, the hoops I have to jump through to make changes to the Administrative Tools group take five minutes instead of 5 seconds, I've yet to meet a Vista laptop that hibernates properly, all the 3D crap eats notebook batteries, BCDedit is incredibly painful, network sharing is incredibly painful, I have yet to find a decent and functional DVD player for Vista, to make it remotely tolerable requires turning off everything that make it not-XP, I have five 100% identical PCs with 5 different Windows Experience scores (2.9 - 3.9; all the same, identical hardware), and I am tired now so I'll stop but needles to say there is more.

Mercutio

I'd like to find a version of PowerDVD/WinDVD that works right, but in my experience both of them have issues with sound output under Vista. I don't like Media Center because it's slow and missing functions that other programs have.
Media Player Classic is OK but a lot of functions are in menus rather than on buttons, and that doesn't work so well for a 10-foot interface.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'd like to find a version of PowerDVD/WinDVD that works right, but in my experience both of them have issues with sound output under Vista. I don't like Media Center because it's slow and missing functions that other programs have.
Media Player Classic is OK but a lot of functions are in menus rather than on buttons, and that doesn't work so well for a 10-foot interface.

Funny you should say that. I can't get PowerDVD to play the sound for the HDDVD of Ocean's 13. Other movies (Bourne Supremacy, King King, Etc) all work fine.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
For your information, the Courier Mail Newspaper here is Brisbane has listed Vista as the number 1 NOT to buy Technology product of 2007, followed by the Apple TV (in number 2) and Telstra's NextG (cellphone) network in 3rd position.

(Telstra has had to extend legacy CDMA coverage for at least 12mths, as one of the requirements to shut-off the legacy CDMA network which NextG was to replace, was that the new network had to provider better coverage).

PS. AFAIK NextG is based on CDMA2000 technology.

Mercutio

There's really no reason to leave Windows 2000. It does everything XP does, after all. XP basically has a newer driver base and, um, wait... no...

Yeah. That's it. A newer driver base.
Otherwise it's functionally identical.

Some people might think XP is prettier, but those people are mostly clicking and drooling in Vista-land these days.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
well xp has the built-in firewall and a security center that actually warns you if you don't have AV or your AV is out of date. Also XP feels more polished than 2000. I have high hopes for the next version of windows.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
XP supports quad core cpus, boots faster than 2K, and it has years of MS & 3rd party peripheral support left while 2K support is starting to be phased out.

Mercutio

Will, I cannot even tell you the number of times I have had to explain that the Windows Security Center alerts actually mean something. Home users, business users, it doesn't matter. Basically, no matter what those alerts say, as long as they see the icon for their antivirus software, they think they are protected.

Windows Firewall, I'll give you, though a Win 2000 user sitting behind a home router is probably fine as well.

Fushigi:
If you'll recall, XP Home support was scheduled to end in 2007 as well. Quad CPUs I'll give you, but that's hardly an issue right now; I'd bet that something less than 3% of Windows users are on quad core platforms.

For what it's worth, 2000 and XP both your WDM drivers, so pretty much anything that works with XP works with 2000 and vice versa, and I've never had Microsoft provide any meaningful support for anything, ever.

Handruin

Administrator
There's really no reason to leave Windows 2000. It does everything XP does, after all. XP basically has a newer driver base and, um, wait... no...

XP ran better with games back when it first came out. I was a win 2000 user back then and once I found that gaming performance was much better, the switch was worth it, not the eye candy.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I remember the discussions (seems like only yesterday) when Tannin would mention that he'd never leave Windows 2000.

I have ... er ... a few machines. In order of how much I use them:

1: Thinkpad: XP Pro
2: Office server: OS/2
3: Workshop mule: 2000
4: Showroom machine: 2000
5: Home desktop/storage server: XP Pro

The only thing of any significance I prefer about XP as opposed to 2000 is the much ore graceful way it deals with network connect/disconnect/reconnects. There are probably one or two minor things as well, and equally one or two minor things that 2000 does better. Short answer: either is fine. Vista is not on my radar.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Vista on my new Latitude D830 will gracefully hot-undock. XP on my D800 would get goofy and unstable and require a reboot. That'll make my life much nicer when I move from my cube to conference rooms.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Vista shipped with DX 10. Vista SP-1 ships with DX 10.1.

The article is saying most video cards won't support 10.1.

Whatever it is, Vista is a mess.

Bozo :joker:

ddrueding

Fixture
Vista is a mess. But phrasing this as a shortcoming of Vista is BS. Non-DX10.1 cards don't support DX10.1 in any OS. That's like blaming Exxon for your Ferrari not running on Diesel.

Does Vista SP1 run DX10 games with DX10 cards? I don't see a problem here.

I don't like being the Microsoft defender, but I feel some things need some perspective.

Handruin

Administrator
I agree with you, however I can see why some may be annoyed that the spec for DX10 was rev'ed shortly after buying their cards. Is that MS's fault...well yes, but they're entitled to improve their product by issuing updates which are backward compatible (which they did).

Although DirectX 10.1 is fully backwards-compatible with DirectX 10 features and hardware, the reverse isn’t true. Neither NVIDIA’s GeForce 8 series nor ATI’s Radeon HD 2x series of GPUs support DirectX 10.1. ATI’s new products – the Radeon 3870 and 3850 – do support DirectX 10.1, but NVIDIA apparently has no plans to release a DirectX 10.1-capable GPU. Their next product range, codenamed GT200, will support DirectX 11, but as this is due for release before DirectX 11 itself it will be interesting to see how well early products based on this GPU will support the new DirectX technology

None of this really bothers me because I'm running a DX 10 graphics card under DX 9c just fine. I can't even run DX 10 (or rather, I choose not to install vista in order to take full advantage). Reading that article seems to point a finger more at nvidia for not generating a graphics card for DX 10.1 support where as ATI will have it.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
People just like to try to pile-on M$ whenever they think they see an opportunity...whether they have a valid point or not.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
People just like to try to pile-on M$ whenever they think they see an opportunity...whether they have a valid point or not.
True. But Vista really is fucked on a fundamental level. I've never had an OS crash this often and this hard on me. (Probably Windows '95 but I won't claim to remember that accurately enough to hold to it.) I mean it hard crashes on me! Linux never hard crashes on me. XP may have hard crashed it on me once or twice in all the years I've used it.

It also hangs and becomes unresponsive for short-to-medium lengths of times (usually less than a minute). Completely unresponsive (no CTRL+ALT+DEL even). This computer has nothing but Firefox, AVG, VLC, OpenOffice and Adobe CS3 Design Suite on it... not exactly full of problematic software.

(Memory is fine. Linux works great for days and weeks, which I take as meaning the mobo, graphics card, & CPU are all good too.)

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Is your hardware all certified/approved for Vista and are you using appropriate drivers? I now use 1 Vista laptop & 2 Vista desktops and they are all rock-solid stable.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Is your hardware all certified/approved for Vista and are you using appropriate drivers? I now use 1 Vista laptop & 2 Vista desktops and they are all rock-solid stable.

You must have new hardware. Vista choked on my 3 year old test setup.

Bozo :joker:

ddrueding

Fixture
The only crashes I get are BSODs when I close a corrupted video stream in Media Player Classic. I understand that the file is messed up, but the OS should be able to recover better than that.

Mercutio

I'm hearing from other instructors that our lab machines are occasionally crashing in Vista, and the only classes we're teaching at the moment are introductory (This is how to copy a file, this is how to turn down the volume).

Mind you, this is on two month old hardware that's 100% vista certified.

I sometimes see long (30 second?) and pointless pauses on my T61 with Vista Business on it. That notebook is presently my only regular contact with Vista, but with a 7200rpm hard disk, 3GB RAM and as much bloat turned off as possible, I have no idea why it's doing that.

ddrueding

Fixture
My desktop's only delay is when it decides to spin up the array at random (like, while opening Firefox, which is not installed on the array). This delay is particularly noticeable because the RAID card is set to only spin up one drive per second, which makes the entire delay ~15 seconds.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Mind you, this is on two month old hardware that's 100% vista certified.

I sometimes see long (30 second?) and pointless pauses on my T61 with Vista Business on it.

I'm seeing the same thing with my work HP 6710b laptop (also Vista Certified).

I just love the fact that at times it can't keep up with my typing, as I can watch the words appear 2-3 secs after I type them...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au

This is just human nature, Clocker. We, all of us, tend to see things in terms of black vs white, us vs them, good vs evil, and we (all of us) tend to simplify the world by classifying people, organisations, and things in good/evil terms.

In other words, we tend to assume that a "good" person is good in all he/she does and is, and that a "bad" person is all bad. Human nature to do this. Constant, inescapable, inevitable.

So when a company comes along that, like all companies, is a mixture of good and bad, but on balance more bad than good, we are prone to see everything that company does as bad, even though some of it isn't. That is just the way of the world.