More Vista nonsense

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I wanted to, Tim, but it's horribly expensive. Being the Luddite I am, I moved from W2k to XP in June of 2006. Tannin forgets that though MS is "rushing" Win 7, it'll be 2013 before it's released. By then Vista SP2 will be a fairly good OS. So going by past trends, I'll be moving to Vista SP2 in 2012, right before Win 7 is released. :king:

Here's my best advice on the matter.

so I used a different copy that was from a... how shall I put this? ... volume license pack...

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Try Windows 2003 Server. I'm sure you have read the threads about it.

Yes, I've heard how nice W2k3 server is, but (1) as mubs said, it's horribly expensive and I don't have a copy, and (2) I don't think it runs Photoshop CS3 (and other select programs) properly either.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Yes, I've heard how nice W2k3 server is, but (1) as mubs said, it's horribly expensive and I don't have a copy, and (2) I don't think it runs Photoshop CS3 (and other select programs) properly either.

CS3 installs fine as long as you know how to install it. I am running the entire Creative Suite 3 perfectly on 2003 Server. I have run into 0 problems after I got it to install. You just need Microsoft Application Verifier, which you can use to spoof Windows XP during the installation. After it is installed it should work fine.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I think the message from David is given a server class machine, and the fastest processors on the market, it's fine.
That's nice to know.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I realized that. I was just making a point that you are the only one that likes Vista in the entire world.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I suspect when David gets done with it it looks, and runs like either 2003/XP. On his machine, it probably runs like 2003 on mine.

Dr. Greg

ddrueding

Fixture
I run it because I need to support it. I know XP better than the back of my hand, I can walk people through whatever needs to be done from memory. I've been able to do this for a long time because I started using XP as my full-time workstation when it was RC1. Now I need to know Vista, so I run it at home. Because I don't like to wait, I built a system that doesn't make me wait for anything. Yes Vista is slower than XP and 2003, but not by as much as everyone is saying.

It seems that everyone on the internet needs to have an incredibly strong opinion about everything. Black and White. This is good, this is bad, and that is evil. It simply isn't true. 2003 is faster, Vista has more features, XP is more compatible; they are all fine for 95% of users. 90% of users wouldn't even notice!

I'm not saying Vista is better in all cases for everyone, or even better at anything for anyone, I'm just saying that you won't go to hell if you are using it. This sensationalist BS is very tiring.

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
It seems that everyone on the internet needs to have an incredibly strong opinion about everything. Black and White. This is good, this is bad, and that is evil. It simply isn't true... This sensationalist BS is very tiring.

DD, you must either be joking or you're on Bill-n-Ballmer's payroll!!! Vista is conveniently incompatible, buggy as hell, unbelievably slow, and certainly quite evil.

Upgrading to Vista forced me replace my hard drive with an even larger and harder hard drive, replace all my system RAM with boutique floral designer DDR3 RAM, and I had to install each and every PCI card into their PCI slots backwards just to make everything work! Bugs? Yes bugs everywhere! It's very very very... VERY hard to type in critical login information when the login screen has hot and cold running 3-D roaches running in all directions across the screen and username / password dialogue box! And, talk about classic slow AND evil, it took nearly 4 days to print a single page spreadsheet from Excel 2007 -- which ended up being a %@$#& "Dick Cheney For President" flyer, followed by hundreds upon hundreds of Walmart adverts and Vista OneCare offers!!!

Enough is enough!!! I'm not taking anymore chances with Vista! A Roman Catholic priest will be here this afternoon to perform an exorcism simultaneously on me and my computer as I attempt to install XP over the Vista installation. Hopefully my head won't turn 360 degrees and shoot a stream of vomit across the office as I perform the "downgrade to XP."

Sheesh! IT is getting more complicated -- and dangerous. I think I'll get plastered tonight.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Splash:

You hitting the sauce again;-)??

Does Vista have a server version, and, is it as bad as everyone is saying Vista is?

Also, is the hardware you had problems with install on the same as my Dual Xeons with Supermicro motherboard, X5DA8?

So dual xeons 2.8 ghz are too slow for Vista? Does anyone know if Gates bought Intel, and AMD, so he can profit from making software you have to buy new hardware for?

Dr. Greg

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I agree with DD. Vista is here. I need to know it for when my employer and our clients start talking about using it. My employer has no immediate plans for it but that only means it's not being deployed today. Tomorrow is another day. And we have no control over what our clients implement but we do need to make sure our apps work on their workstations. In general its more an issue of browser compatibility but there are regular apps as well.

I'm sure some of you will find yourselves in the same boat before too long.

Does it need decent hardware? Yep. So what. Any modern CPU + 1GB RAM + a 7200RPM drive will run it fine. You need more to do all of the eye candy and get optimal performance, like a good video card and possibly a dual-core or higher-end CPU and 2GB RAM. Again so what. Hardware is cheap. Anything that surpasses a minimal vomit box will run Vista just fine.

The tragedy of Vista is selling it as an upgrade. The unsuspecting will think they're Pentium III/600MHz will run it and will be sorely disappointed. :) More realistically, someone with a not-that-old 1.13GHz laptop and 512MB RAM will also be disappointed.

Vista was designed for modern hardware. Microsoft's failing is in choosing to not communicate that to the user community and instead going after the 'quick bucks' from the people who will buy the upgrade because it's on the shelf.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The hardware is relatively benign. if I could tell my customers that they only need to buy a new box and vista will run fine, I would be laughing. The main problem with Vista is software incompatibilities. Many many many programs either work a lot slower on it (games are up to 40% slower) or show erratic behaviors (from "doesn't start" to "doesn't work quite as it should"). And everything takes a lot (and I mean I LOT) more RAM than on XP (for the same program). That's what killing me with Vista. The network setup/management is another thing I'm not too fond of about Vista. XP's way was fine.

Does Photoshop CS3 works on it? Do the printer softwares that come with most printers work fine with it? Nero Burining ROM? How about Webshot, Incredimail, P2P programs and all the junk users will immediately install on it the moment they get their hands on their new computers. We have phone calls for shit like that. It was Microsoft's homeworks to test this, not mine. If their new OS doesn't play nice with the most common applications, I'll call it junk because that's what it will be to the eyes of most users.

It's a lemon. There's no other way to describe it.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
A Roman Catholic priest will be here this afternoon to perform an exorcism simultaneously on me and my computer as I attempt to install XP over the Vista installation.

You'd better make sure he can disable XP's CHKDSK, as it attempts to "check your disks for consistency". Yeah, it checks your disk for consistency alright. The conformist bastard rips up your disk because Vista did things differently, that stupid control freak.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Most printers over a year old do not work on Vista. That is the printer manufacturers job, to write the drivers. Most are not.
Vista has an 'improved' (bastadized) NTFS file system. XP doesn't like it.
Also, System Restore is different on each file system. One tries to overwrite the other and makes a mess. (if you are dual booting.)

Bozo :joker:

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
Errrr .... are you saying, onanistichoweveryouspellit, you are not plastered already?

All I can say is that Onomatopoeic (a.k.a -- "The Big O" :) ) is spot-on!

Vista is indeed incredibly evil. I recently made the grave mistake of buying the Vista Penultimate upgrade (cost was $666 -- that should tell you something right there!) and installing it on my always-been-solid-as-a-rock desktop system. Oh ya! What a great decision that was!!! What was once sweet is now sour. What was once zippy is now zapped. What was once paradise is now a pair-of-dice and-I-just rolled-snake-eyes-again!!! Yep. I got that problem also with the "Dick Cheney for President" flyers mysteriously printing out between Excel spreadsheet pages.

But, then again, maybe I should consider myself lucky. I'm not even half as bad off as that poor b@stid I saw on the news the other day that attempted to install Vista on a notebook computer. As soon as Vista booted up the first time, the notebook computer jumped off the table and began chasing the cat through the house! The cat was able to get away, but the notebook computer disappeared for a while. About 30 minutes later, the guy found the Vista-fied notebook computer in the broom closet dry-humping the vacuum cleaner!

This is enough to drive one to drink. I think I'll get me a big bottle of that illegal aged-three-whole-days corn whiskey and forget Vista tonight.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Strangely, I am back to using Vista as XP refused to work properly on my system. Vista actually works reasonably well right now. Photoshop is "working", although it is not necessarily Adobe's fault that it isn't 100%, if you know what I mean.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
One of my main gripes about Vista and XP x64 is my printer. I can get it to print, but without the proper drivers, it won't do double sided or picture quality. I'm not buying a new printer.

Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I just came here to post that, and to laugh at ddrueding's dumb ass for being the one person on the face of the earth who actually likes for his computer to run like shit.

HaHa.gif

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Try installing Server 2003 or even XP on the same hardware. I actually suspect that a lot of your complaints about poor network performance will go away.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I just got a copy of Vista Ultimate 32/64 from a friend who got for me from a friend who works for M$. I think I'll give it a try after SP1 comes out.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Poor network performance

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=83112

..."Network throughput appears to be locked between 5% and 10% of line capacity when audio files are being played or even when they're paused. The problem apparently afflicts video playback, as well, and no amount of fiddling with priorities and auto-tuning options seems to rejuvenate network performance."...

Handruin

Administrator
I just got a copy of Vista Ultimate 32/64 from a friend who got for me from a friend who works for M$. I think I'll give it a try after SP1 comes out.

I got the same deal on Ultimate about a week after it shipped and I've yet to install it after all these months. I have this copy so I can learn on a VM, but I'm resisting installing on my system for so many reasons.