Ryzen

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So you are relying on Windows. It's a resource hog, same difference.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The people here are who suggest good software. Without you all, I'd have long been in a hole.
AV is Eset
NordVPN
I think bloatware is EXACTLY WHAT Jfr is saying.
I use Brave, and Chrome.
Shut IE off.
NEVER Outlook.
Thank you DD, Merc, etc. for suggestions on software.
And I listen to what everyone suggests...
I'm sorry for those that have to use, or install junkware, due to work.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I loathe Outlook deeply.

I have all my customers on Google Workspace in part because I hate Outlook so fucking much. Being able to ditch Exchange for the people who wanted it was a game changer for me, and I'm never going back and I won't let anyone I support go back either.

Because many people want the Outlook-like combination of features in integrated Scheduling, Contacts and Email, I put people on EmClient, instead. EmClient has a one time payment of $35/business user or $75 for lifetime upgrades/user and I think I have a grand total of one person who isn't happy with it. It's dramatically faster than Outlook and transacts directly with Google Workspace and a bunch of other calendar/contacts platforms. The only person I know who doesn't like it is just mad because she had almost 300GB worth of local PSTs that I refused to import into her account.

There are human beings in the world who can only understand stuff that's on their computer by way of "something they can find inside Outlook" and when I rule the world they'll be seventh or eighth against the wall. Outlook is not a filesystem but oh my god I know a couple people who will absolutely argue otherwise.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
We're a 365 shop, and there's only been one customer that we didn't go through with transitioning them completely away from Google Workspace to M365. While I personally think Google Workspace is the right choice for a lot of small business, our partnerships demand we sell them on the Microsoft stack.

Curious about eM client -- I'm going to give it a try and see if it can integrate with 365 as well as you say it does Google, because I personally have my own 365 tenant and hosted email, and if it works out I might well prefer it.

Interesting to note so far that it will still run -- without complaint, even -- on Windows 7, I like trying things on it first to see if they're good interim solutions for people who aren't ready to move on just yet. Also, I like using my Dimension 9200 with the QX6700 for some things still, and it runs Windows 7 primarily. Thunderbird I had to use an old version of (115.x, spring '24, still supported in esr branch right this second afaict) and an exchange online connector plugin to work with. eM Client worked off the bat with it, albeit clunkily -- I couldn't set it up as part of initial client setup, I had to click through and go through the accounts wizard once it was already set up and then it'd let me log in.

Merc, I'm relying on your experience with it -- I know you said you refused to transfer 300GB of PSTs to a customer's copy of it, but is that because of the volume or because there's no good way to use PST/OSTs with it? I'm trying to gauge it as something to potentially recommend to friends and family. Especially if they can remain within the bounds of its free license -- I'm a little intimidated by the $149.99 price tag of the personal edition with lifetime upgrades, myself, but I know for a fact I don't want to pay a subscription for it.

Mercutio

Merc, I'm relying on your experience with it -- I know you said you refused to transfer 300GB of PSTs to a customer's copy of it, but is that because of the volume or because there's no good way to use PST/OSTs with it?

Because I didn't want to deal with 300GB of PSTs.

To put this in perspective, I have an IMAP server at home where all of my non-spam email ends up. When I say all, I mean All. For all time. Since 1990. The total size of my mail spool on there is 28GB. All in the same inbox.

ddrueding

Fixture
I only have since 2005 (when I started with GMail) and it is 48GB. But I haven't bothered to go through and remove large attachments from old messages or any other low-hanging fruit to manage that.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Nowadays storage is so cheap and vast it's easier to just keep everything, instead of expending time trying to see what you might not need. To use analogies, back when I first got into computers in the early 1990s storage was like a small apartment. You had to be selective about what to keep. Nowadays it's like the Empire State Building. You can keep every bit of junk without worrying about filling it.

I've saved all my emails on Zimbra since forever. I'm not even at 13 GB yet.

LunarMist

Storage is not all that cheap in 2024. I was just looking at what it costs to store 132TB actual, i.e., $6000 for a modest NAS with 8x24TB in RAID Z2. It can be cheaper if you can homebrew with some gigantic, heavy setup using a greater number of smaller oddball drives, but 8-bays is reasonably portable at under 30 lbs. When it's time to leave for another zone you can take it quickly or pull and ship just the drives.

Mercutio

I think you could cut that price down by about 15% just by taking 22TB drives instead of 24 and you'd still get 132TB. Run TrueNAS core or UnRAID on a cheap SAS HBA with an old desktop you pull out of storage and I'll bet you can save another $1000 and still keep the weight to 30lbs, too.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Storage is not all that cheap in 2024. I was just looking at what it costs to store 132TB actual, i.e., $6000 for a modest NAS with 8x24TB in RAID Z2. It can be cheaper if you can homebrew with some gigantic, heavy setup using a greater number of smaller oddball drives, but 8-bays is reasonably portable at under 30 lbs. When it's time to leave for another zone you can take it quickly or pull and ship just the drives.
It depends upon your needs. I'd be hard pressed to imagine what I'd need 132TB for. For saving the kind of stuff I do even a few TB is plenty. To put things into perspective the first drive I bought was 8.4GB and it cost $100. That seemed like oodles of storage at the time but I still would have had to be selective about what I saved. A few weeks ago I bought a 256GB thumb drive from BestBuy for $10.88 shipped. They sent me a $10 promotion so I tried to find something useful. The drive was on sale for $19.99. With tax and the promotion, $10.88 is what I paid. 30 times the storage for 1/10th the price, or actually about 1/25th the price if you correct for inflation. Granted, 256GB won't store all my data but any decent SSD of a few TB will, along with drive images of my OS. At this point I see no need to worry about deleting stuff I might never need. I can save it all.

Mercutio

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Why AMD-generated gaming data differs from reviewer data: For our Ryzen 9000 launch, AMD internal labs generated data that showed a 9% average generational uplift in 1080P gaming versus Ryzen 7000 Series, and an average of 6% higher performance across more than 30 games when compared against the competition’s best. Not all reviews are seeing these results, and this reflects the complexity of high-performance PC testing today given the number of system and software variables. There are several factors specifically creating these

LunarMist

"Zen 5" will see the biggest boost, but this Windows update will improve performance for "Zen 4" and "Zen 3" as well. We're collaborating with Microsoft to roll out this optional update to all Windows 11 users soon.

Basically Windows 11 is required and they will fix it later. Fortunately I did not fall for the AMD BS and buy the 9950X. It's not clear if there is some other bug in the CPUs or just when there are multiple CCDs.

Mercutio

LM, why not consider a Windows Server with Desktop Experience install? You'll lose some Microsoft Store applications like Your Phone, but that also removes a lot of the nonsense of Windows 11.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I'm able to procure a genuine Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021 license from my distributor -- it's not cheap, it's $295 -- but I'm assuming at some point here soon I'll also be able to grab licenses for IoT Enterprise LTSC 2024, aka Win11 24H2 but without a lot of the bull. That would also do the job. I'll keep my eyes peeled and let you know when I see it hit the catalog, if you'd like.

LunarMist

LM, why not consider a Windows Server with Desktop Experience install? You'll lose some Microsoft Store applications like Your Phone, but that also removes a lot of the nonsense of Windows 11.
I have no idea what that version of Windows entails, but it's probably not available to mere mortals like me.
There is no Your Phones program that I'm aware of on any on my computers and in fact no microphone in the system for security reasons. The laptop have them, but I stay off.

Mercutio

I have no idea what that version of Windows entails, but it's probably not available to mere mortals like me.
There is no Your Phones program that I'm aware of on any on my computers and in fact no microphone in the system for security reasons. The laptop have them, but I stay off.

The application is either Phone Link or Your Phone depending on the Windows version. It can display your phone's screen on your PC, show you files, photos and notifications and can in some cases can also allow you to take calls and display your SMSes, but it's something that doesn't work on Windows Server.

You can always install a trial copy of Windows Server and then get a product key to switch to a perpetual license. That nicely solves the problem of all the things that suck about Windows 11 (IMO these are all pretty much Microsoft account related) if you don't feel like mitigating them by modifying the installation or trusting someone else's modifications.

LunarMist

There is an App called Phone Link, but it does not do anything since I avoid the MS accounts.

Mercutio

That is a very weird problem to not catch prior to release.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on my upgrade yet. I know the X3D products won't do anything for me but there have already been slight price cuts on 9000 series Ryzen in a few places.

Handruin

Administrator
Agreed it is weird it wasn't caught, so I'm cautiously optimistic that there may be a fix for it to give these maybe a little more bump in performance.

I've also seen the price cuts happening and even though I'm not really in the market for one, I may reconsider for my homelab if the price is right and there's the aforementioned fix.

LunarMist

A BIOS level fix would be better than relying on the vagaries of various OS, but I'm not expecting any miracles. Maybe all-core and single-threadly will be 10% better than Zen part 4. I also feel it would be better to wait for the X3D to see what that brings.