Ryzen

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Arrow Lake is official and all that the leakers said over the last couple days ago seems to have held true: They're a little slower and a lot cooler. Doesn't look like mainstream desktop prices have been changed from last gen. The Ultra 9 285 is just under $600 and the two Ultra 5s are ~$300.
It definitely feels wrong to see an entire CPU generation with zero effective performance gains though.

Last edited:

ddrueding

Fixture
Anyone else want to build an HEDT with the EPYC 9575F? Sure it is a $12k chip that draws 400W just on it's own, but....

64 cores clocking to 5Ghz
12 Channels of DDR5-6400 supporting ECC
256MB L3 Cache
All the connectivity you'd ever want

Outside my personal price range, but I will be looking for a customer as I want to play.

fb

Storage is cool
The 9575F looks amazing.

But I will dream sweet dreams about a 9175F in SQL Server tonight, 16 cores @ 4.2 - 5 GHz and 512 MB L3... :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Just remember fb, you gotta license all those SQL Server instances. That's US$130,000 if you're running SQL Server Enterprise edition on 16 cores on-prem.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm currently on Zen 2 (3950X) so I'm assuming it'll be a nice bump.
Holy crap, anything will blow away that CPU. It was a dog on the low thread counts.
Arrow Lake is official and all that the leakers said over the last couple days ago seems to have held true: They're a little slower and a lot cooler. Doesn't look like mainstream desktop prices have been changed from last gen. The Ultra 9 285 is just under $600 and the two Ultra 5s are ~$300.
It definitely feels wrong to see an entire CPU generation with zero effective performance gains though.
Surely there will be some room for overcorking if it is not using so much power at the base condition.

fb

Storage is cool
Just remember fb, you gotta license all those SQL Server instances. That's US$130,000 if you're running SQL Server Enterprise edition on 16 cores on-prem.
I know, it makes the HW price almost irrelevant. =) And if you license all physical cores with EE you can run as many VM:s as you want with EE on that machine. So you can potentially cram a bit more out of it, vs Standard Edition where you have to license every core in every VM.

But I'm also happy to see the return of 8 cores even if the specs are not that impressive. It would be enough for my workloads and I would choose 8 cores Enterprise Edition on bare metal with maxed out RAM over a 16 or 24 cores Stranded Edition any day of the week.

LunarMist

The single-threaded Arrowlake performance looks really good (though n=1), the first CPU to make sense after the 14th gen debacle and the very weak Zen 5 gains. However, I suspect there will not be motherbords that I will find useful.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Holy crap, anything will blow away that CPU. It was a dog on the low thread counts.

Bear in mind that at the time that it came out, it was completely fine in single-thread performance. It competed well against the contemporary Intel competitor. We're just a bit under five years on from when that happened, is all. You're treating it like it's a Core 2 Quad or something, Lunar. :p I for one would still be glad to have a 3950X, for my server or what-have-you, it's just that what I have right now suits my needs.

I really hope the rumors I'd heard about Qualcomm eyeing up Intel for acquisition are incorrect, especially as Arrowlake seems to be underwhelming for people looking for pure performance gains. I don't think they'll sell particularly well over 14th gen, much less the Ryzen 9000 series if they don't start cutting prices, but I'm also not sure how much they can really afford to cut prices at the moment, with their reportedly dire situation. It's not a great sign when your CEO is quoting bible verses on Xitter (pronounced shitter), as Intel's was back in August.

I don't really want to see anyone win this war, I just want to see them endlessly gutpunch each other in the form of releases that are good for consumers. Once one party is a non-competitor, the industry will just return directly back to stagnation as we saw during the Sandy Bridge to Haswell/Skylake era.

LunarMist

My problem was that the 3950X was not all that much better in single threads than the Haswells E that I had well overclocked almost 5 years earlier. Obviously the overall plaftorm of the X570 was much better in many ways. In 3 years then the single threadly was up 50%. Now, 5 years after the 3950X the iNtel is almost double on single threads and the others not so far behind.