Samsung 2TB

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Price could simply be reduced.

They are rewarding those that subscribe to their newsletter. For people that don't know about the promo they are making an extra $30/drive. That doesn't take into account selling less drives because of a higher price.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I understand that, but a code is now inline with the text for all to see.

LunarMist

So this time the Robot Egg recommended a Thermaltakei BlacX, an assortment of three i7/i5 CPUs, and AutoCad LT. One out of five. :)

LunarMist

The newer Samsung 2TB drive does not cause the indicator to remain lit. It is curious. It is tempting to buy more, yet I know that 3TB WD drives will be here soon enough.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I got the drives I ordered and hooked them up last night. One of them shows up as ~2000GB, the other shows up as 931GB. This is the case both in the BIOS and in GParted. I tried switching the cables and the sizes switched. Has anyone ever seen a cable that couldn't support a 2TB drive?

I ordered some new SATA cables from monoprice.com, I'm hoping that will fix it.

LunarMist

I got the drives I ordered and hooked them up last night. One of them shows up as ~2000GB, the other shows up as 931GB. This is the case both in the BIOS and in GParted. I tried switching the cables and the sizes switched. Has anyone ever seen a cable that couldn't support a 2TB drive?

Do they show up that way in the BIOS? A 1TB drive should be displayed as 931GB and a 2TB drive as 1.81 TB.

Stereodude

Not really a

Are they both connected to the same SATA controller?

The 2TB Samsung I bought for my Dad first showed up as ~931GB in Windows / 1000GB in the BIOS until I flashed the computer's BIOS to the latest beta BIOS (nForce 430 chipset). Then it showed up as 2000GB in the BIOS, but still ~931GB in Windows. I had to download the Samsung ES-Tool to clear the MBR so Windows would see the drive as new and then showed the true size after re-initializing it.

The one I bought for myself showed up as 2TB on my system. It's connected to a ICH10R.

Stereodude

Not really a
I tried switching the cables and the sizes switched. Has anyone ever seen a cable that couldn't support a 2TB drive?
When you switched the cables between the drives did you also change the port on the motherboard the cables were plugged into?

IE: Drive A to Port 3 with cable A = 1000GB
IE: Drive B to Port 4 with cable B = 2000GB

swap

IE: Drive A to Port 3 with cable B = 2000GB
IE: Drive B to Port 4 with cable A = 1000GB

or was it

swap

IE: Drive B to Port 3 with cable A = 1000GB
IE: Drive A to Port 4 with cable B = 2000GB

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
When you switched the cables between the drives did you also change the port on the motherboard the cables were plugged into?

swap

IE: Drive A to Port 3 with cable B = 2000GB
IE: Drive B to Port 4 with cable A = 1000GB

or was it

swap

IE: Drive B to Port 3 with cable A = 1000GB
IE: Drive A to Port 4 with cable B = 2000GB

I believe it was:

Drive A to port 3 with cable A = 1000GB
Drive B to port 4 with cable B = 2000GB

swap

Drive A to port 4 with Cable B = 2000GB
Drive B to port 3 with Cable A = 1000GB

LunarMist

Why should the cable matter? I have cables from 500GB era drives that work on 2TB drives just fine. Do you have other controllers to use the drives with?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The cable shouldn't matter... unless it's bad.

But, in that case, there should be other errors.

Handruin

Administrator
Use a tool to check the SMART data on the drive and look for "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count". That counter is typical of a cabling problem.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Yes, that's possible. I'll try it again when I get the new cables. I don't feel like screwing with it anymore.

I got the new cables and screwed around some more. From what I can tell it's the drive not the controller or the cable. I must have been mistaken when I was testing this previously.

Steps I took:
  1. Replaced the cable, drive still showed up as 1000GB
  2. Switched to another open port, still showed up as 1000GB
  3. Switched to the cable and port that I know works with the other Samsung 2TB drive, still showed up as 1000GB

I will RMA this drive. What a pain.

LunarMist

Maybe it is a 1TB drive or half of the heads are dead. :reindeer:

LunarMist

I did not know that company existed. Are the stores worth visiting in the flesh? None are close, but there is one within non-stop driving range on a weekend.

Stereodude

Not really a
Somewhere in between but closer to Fry's than CompUSA.

Their sales are pretty good. I got a Q6600 there for $199 back when they were still ~$300 everywhere else. They still run similar sales on other components.

LunarMist

It would not be economical, but a way to buy something relatively locally. I will be visiting Frys in June on travel. Usually I find some interesting items.

LunarMist

$115 now. I wonder if there will be $100 specials by Q4 holidays.

LunarMist

By the end of Q4, 3TB drives and maybe even 4TB drives will be available, so the chances that 2TB will go down to 100$ are pretty good.

Yeah, but it sucks that I'll never be able to use larger drives. :silent:

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm not sure it's the OS limit. Win XP x86 (x32) has no problem dealing with network shares larger than 2TB.