Something Random

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
She says she lost almost 70 hours of work and she has no backup or other copy of what she's done.
It's Evolution at work and she's the part of the species that shouldn't succeed. Helping her is cheating Evolution. 70 hours of work without a backup ; in my opinion, she's already failed your class.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
:dwarf: I don't think an extra 70 hours of office work has killed very many people, though some have succumbed to overwork. 70 extra hours in combat might be a different story.

Handruin

Administrator
Is she attractive? Could be a nice way to break the ice and look like a hero who should be bought dinner...and a movie. Pointing and laughing won't get you nookie.

LunarMist

It may depend on the reporting structure and position of said coworker within the organization.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Is she attractive? Could be a nice way to break the ice and look like a hero who should be bought dinner...and a movie. Pointing and laughing won't get you nookie.

I have three co-workers and they're all approximately the same age as my mother.

LunarMist

I have three co-workers and they're all approximately the same age as my mother.

You should work at a larger company with more opportunities. Typically it is acceptable to screw employees in other departments, depending on the reporting structures of course. :farao:

ddrueding

Fixture
Why don't you hire a professional firm that knows what they are doing? Ever hear of an interior designer? :flower:

Indeed. I even have a couple of them as clients, and they have been advising me. Of course doing it yourself, particularly solving a problem in a way no one else has, can be quite fun. Besides, I can't afford their solutions.

LunarMist

Why not wait a bit and save up? Sometimes you seem to be too impetuous. :cat:

ddrueding

Fixture
A bit? ;)

The demolition that has started, and needs to happen before we can move in, requires the destruction of the current kitchen. The final kitchen isn't in the cards for quite some time.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Besides, I can't afford their solutions.
Ok, so you have money for a completely useless interior elevator, but not for a decent kitchen? I know very few people who could afford an elevator in their house, but most people can replace their kitchen when they need to.

Besides, the idea that YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT is utterly ridiculous. You have a boat, a 50K$ car and probably another cheaper one that's still worth some 30K$, a house most likely to be worth half a million dollars, computer rigs that dwarf those of almost any other forum members except maybe for Mercutio.

But you can't afford a decent kitchen. Go figure.

LunarMist

On the one hand he has no children yet to raise and put through college and on the other hand no alimony or child support payments. Priorities usually change one way or another.

ddrueding

Fixture
Coug,

I can't afford an elevator. The Audi is worth $25k (with 55k miles), the GTI (with 230k miles) is perhaps $2k. The house was $260k. We aren't poor ($6k/mo combined?) but a new kitchen is >$50k. We will get one, at some point, but putting something together for the next ~5 years will allow us to save and get what we want.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If you sell the Audi then you could get that elevator. I don't know how you'll get around though. Are there buses around you?

ddrueding

Fixture
If you sell the Audi then you could get that elevator. I don't know how you'll get around though. Are there buses around you?

The city does have buses, but they don't go anywhere you would want to go, and they don't get there in any reasonable amount of time. I could sell the boat ($6k) and all the camera gear ($8k?) and my gaming rig ($6k?) AND sell the car and get a designer kitchen...or not.

Mercutio

computer rigs that dwarf those of almost any other forum members except maybe for Mercutio.

But you can't afford a decent kitchen. Go figure.

I don't have much of an investment in SSDs. I have three i7s and two machines with high-end graphics cards. The only thing I really do have is an excessive number of really big hard drives.

And kitchens really are expensive. He is not lying about that. But I don't think cabinets are hard to make and everything in a kitchen is something a motivated person could do for themselves.

My father's hobby was home improvement. He'd come home from work every night and go to work on whatever room he happened to have torn apart. That was his idea of relaxation. The funny thing about it was, he'd never quite finish any of his projects, because there would be "one last step" that depended on getting some other project done, so the whole time I was growing up, our house was always torn up. A few months before my parents moved, my father finished all the projects, and their house was transformed. It had always gotten progressively better over time, but the net effect of finishing everything was an improvement by an order of magnitude.

My dad didn't actually know how to do any of these things before he started. He bought a bunch of "Time-Life" Home Repair books about 25 years ago and spent days or weeks planning each project. He did all the work himself so costs for more or less everything were pretty reasonable.

Anyway, ddrueding could be starting down that same path. In which case his wife has my sympathies.

ddrueding

Fixture
Merc,

My grandfather was exactly like that, and I do look forward to learning all the required skills. However, my wife has been warned by my mother already that every meal when she was growing up tasted like sawdust or plaster. I'm also trying to keep her involved in the process; she knows drywall, electrical, and insulation already, plus the characteristics of good windows and drawer hardware.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well today I bought my first musical album that was distributed as an download rather than a physical album. It's lossless FLAC or wouldn't have done it though they get you for an extra $2 over the 256 CBR mp3's. link

Mercutio

Well today I bought my first musical album that was distributed as an download rather than a physical album.

You lost me at "bought."

Amazon.com gives me download store credit all the damned time. I've used that a few times. I like their technology, but it's virtually impossible for me to find licensed downloadable music I actually want.

There's a solid community of classical music traders on a torrent site I visit. Commercial downloads are practically useless in comparison.