Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
Well today I bought my first musical album that was distributed as an download rather than a physical album. It's lossless FLAC or wouldn't have done it though they get you for an extra $2 over the 256 CBR mp3's. link

I am a fan of UNKLE, but the snippets off the website sound...wrong. Like the reverb has been tweaked?

Stereodude

Not really a
I am a fan of UNKLE, but the snippets off the website sound...wrong. Like the reverb has been tweaked?
They do sound a little different than the flac files. It's probably somewhat compression artifacts though the tracks do seem to have a decent amount of reverb / effects on them. I didn't notice them being too processed though.

ddrueding

Fixture
Something went wonky with my little corner of the world today. It was 80F before 10PM and it's 100F before noon. My task for the day? Repair lighting in the attic. Sucks.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Something went wonky with my little corner of the world today. It was 80F before 10PM and it's 100F before noon. My task for the day? Repair lighting in the attic. Sucks.

Surely you could swap jobs around and do something not comparable to a sauna today?

Had a mishap with a hydrogen refill rig out here:

http://i.autoblog.com/2010/08/27/report-ny-hydrogen-station-used-by-gm-explodes-closes-airport/

Turns out it was a problem on the tanker truck as he was disconnecting the almost empty tank(truck driver burned, BK chick hurt her ears). Mechanical failure or operator error. Absurd headline. No actual tanks failed, they are built to high standard AFAIK.

My desire for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle remains strong.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
""Everything that they told us was going to happen, happened with the tank," said Bane.

With the hydrogen tanker already burning and 50 firefighters and a dozen members of the hazmat team already on scene, Bane and DeRosa knew what to do.

"It's burning, it's controlled, let it burn, and that's exactly what they told us to do in the training was let it burn," said Bane.

Just 90 minutes later, the hydrogen burned itself out and the clean-up began. "I think the incident went well overall," said DeRosa."

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/to...se-to-hydrogen-explosion-executed-seamlessly/

The driver had recently received an award for 30 years of safe driving, looks like a valve failure. Two of the tanks (presumably on the trailer) failed in a controlled manner and basically self extinguished one the hydrogen was burnt up. You couldn't do that with a gasoline tanker.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks for noticing, Coug. What do I get to do for my birthday? Demolish more walls! At last I'll have help, anyone foolish enough to ask what I wanted for my birthday will be there...

Handruin

Administrator
Happy birthday David!

I'm in San Fran this week. I didn't mention it to you because it sounded like you're a bit further away now and I've also been crazy busy while I've been here. Not much time for sight-seeing while at the conference. I'll have pics and video later for anyone interested, but it's mainly biased in favor of vmware.

Handruin

Administrator
I guess I should have called you or emailed. We did happen to go out after the event to get some food at the Thirsty Bear and then across the street for a bit.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thirsty Bear used to be my regular hangout when my office was at Howard and Beale. If the night went too long we ended up at the Gold Club...

Handruin

Administrator
That's where we ended up last night. Tonight we spent at Foleys and the food was pretty good. They had a piano player for the evening and it was fun.

ddrueding

Fixture
Is there any thing left of the original house besides the exterier walls?

The only walls still standing those dividing the bedrooms, bathrooms, and garage. And I'm not putting any back. The room will be 42'x16', with a kitchen in the middle and entertainment all around. Should be unconventional but nice.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Annoying, car symbols that don't follow general conventions. Trick question, is the wiper delay currently set for maximum delay or minimum delay? Think it was a saturn vue. There are just some surprises I don't need in a rental car while dark and raining.

ddrueding

Fixture
Off the top of my head, I can't remember the standard convention. In fact, I haven't even looked in my car. If where it is is unacceptable, I adjust it until it is better. Trial and error here isn't that big a deal...

ddrueding

Fixture
Tonight I dismantled all but two breakers from the service panel. As my service panel doesn't have a master shutoff, this requires some attention.

I'll be installing a new service panel in a new (to code) location later in the weekend, along with replacing every inch of electrical cable, every box, and every switch and outlet. I'll have an electrician sign off on all my work, install a master shutoff outside next to the meter, and install the bridge between my new service panel and his new shutoff.

I've also decided to do the entire house with the foam-it-green expanding foam insulation. Every time my wife and I strip a wall, we find bugs and spiders nests; it will be good to have an air-tight, bug-proof, water-proof shell around the house.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
As my service panel doesn't have a master shutoff, this requires some attention.
Jeebus! You have some interesting building codes.

I'll have an electrician sign off on all my work, install a master shutoff outside next to the meter, and install the bridge between my new service panel and his new shutoff.
You haven't thought this through enough. All switches should be on the inside, where anyone who wants to break into your house can't get at them first.

I've also decided to do the entire house with the foam-it-green expanding foam insulation.
In my opinion, you're quite mad. There's little benefit in your moderate climate and only drawbacks to cluttering your wall cavities with non-removable goop. Next year, when you want to run a cable to a different location, how exactly will you do it?

Every time my wife and I strip a wall, we find bugs and spiders nests; it will be good to have an air-tight, bug-proof, water-proof shell around the house.

I'm (almost) speechless. It won't be any of those things. And bugs and spiders are always part of our environment, it's just that we don't notice them. How on Earth would you survive in Florida, for instance? Let alone Australia, the Philippines, etc ...

Stereodude

Not really a
Years ago a master breaker wasn't required. My parents house was built in the mid 70's and they don't have a master breaker. Now code requires you to have one. In my house I have a 200A master breaker because I have 200A service.

David should install a new panel with a master breaker equal to the service the house has.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
You know, there are some things you might not want to mess around with. Even if you do it right you still have to pass inspection some time later if you want to sell the house and then things get really sticky when they find out unlicensed labor did the work.

Stereodude

Not really a
Spoken like someone who lives on the east coast. :p You know... the home of municipalities that won't even give a DIY'ers a permit to protect their union brotherhood buddies who are in the trades.

ddrueding

Fixture

The codes are quite good. Of course, back in '60 when my house was built, people didn't always follow it.

You haven't thought this through enough. All switches should be on the inside, where anyone who wants to break into your house can't get at them first.

Thought through quite clearly actually. The fire department looks quite favorably at having a master switch on the outside. So much so that my homeowners insurance gets reduced.

In my opinion, you're quite mad. There's little benefit in your moderate climate and only drawbacks to cluttering your wall cavities with non-removable goop. Next year, when you want to run a cable to a different location, how exactly will you do it?

The "goop" is actually solid and quite firm. Removing it is quite easy, and creating channels through it with a sawzall requires seconds. Besides, I'm running conduit everywhere.

I'm (almost) speechless. It won't be any of those things. And bugs and spiders are always part of our environment, it's just that we don't notice them. How on Earth would you survive in Florida, for instance? Let alone Australia, the Philippines, etc ...

I consider not having spiders and bugs around a quality of life thing. That that standard can't be met in Florida, Australia, or the Philippines is beside the point.

ddrueding

Fixture
You know, there are some things you might not want to mess around with. Even if you do it right you still have to pass inspection some time later if you want to sell the house and then things get really sticky when they find out unlicensed labor did the work.

Unlicensed labor is allowed to do the work. So long as it is all done to code, and the permit is signed off by a licensed electrician, all is well.

(Unions suck! ;))

ddrueding

Fixture
Years ago a master breaker wasn't required. My parents house was built in the mid 70's and they don't have a master breaker. Now code requires you to have one. In my house I have a 200A master breaker because I have 200A service.

David should install a new panel with a master breaker equal to the service the house has.

Quite so. Which is 100A BTW.

ddrueding

Fixture
That seems awful low. 200A is pretty much standard here.

200A is the standard now, but 100A is still the code minimum, and was considered enough in 1960. I've done the math and determined that 100A will be enough for us, though the panel itself and the supply line that I'm installing will be capable of 200A if I decide to upgrade later.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Unlicensed labor is allowed to do the work. So long as it is all done to code, and the permit is signed off by a licensed electrician, all is well.
In NYC technically you're not even allowed to do electrical work unless you're licensed electrician. That even includes stuff like changing an outlet or a fixture. In practice it doesn't matter so long as it's done to code. Generally when you sell a house it will require inspection, including an inspection of the wiring. Since no record is kept of how many outlets or anything else, there's no way anyone can know if the owners did electrical work themselves or had it done, so long as it passes. Incidentally, with so many houses here built 50, 60, even 80 years ago, and never upgraded, inspectors have better things to worry about than people doing their own wiring. In most cases, DIY wiring is going to be better than whatever it replaces in these old houses. Pre-1960s houses are especially problematic. They used to use wiring with cloth insulation. After half a century, the insulation just crumbles away, leaving the potential for shorts. Not only that, but many old houses are wired with half the circuits of one breaker. I suppose this was OK in the 1950s when all you had were a few lights in each room, but not now. It took years to get the wiring in my parent's house in order. I added lots of outlets, put existing ones on their own circuits, added switches and ceiling boxes for light fixtures, added outdoor outlets, and so forth. I dread to think what it all would have cost having an electrician do it. Besides that, they probably would have made a mess breaking up walls to do it in the least time.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
200A is the standard now, but 100A is still the code minimum, and was considered enough in 1960. I've done the math and determined that 100A will be enough for us, though the panel itself and the supply line that I'm installing will be capable of 200A if I decide to upgrade later.

Your home theater sounds like it would draw 100A :wink: