Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Which do you prefer when buying online, directly from the manufartucter or from the retailer?

Handruin

Administrator
I should have put in a disclaimer; that was not my choice. But I'm sure you knew that. I even presented different options, and was working on putting together an event track for Rodrigo y Gabriella's Viking Man. Next year I'll be doing a 30,000 sqft. building with 40,000+ lights across 32+ lighting channels. Then I'll stand on principal.

I like that video. I bet that would make some nice lights dance.

Too bad Mercutio had to rain on your light parade just to make himself feel better by starting drama with SD over stupid politics. Bravo.

XJyGY.gif

Handruin

Administrator
Can we make that a separate thread?

No, please don't. I don't need to see ePenises coming out to prove each other about their political views by way of adding drama and passive aggressive remarks about one's views. I really couldn't give a fuck one way or the other and I'm almost certain there is no polite way for them to argue their points (please...go ahead and prove me wrong). PM each other and work that shit out between yourselves if you think there is some value in trying to prove to the other person your opinions.

Handruin

Administrator
That video would be in violation then if used for commercial purposes without release.

Also, what about the public broadcasting of the song while the lights were on display for public consumption? I don't believe that falls under fair use and may require royalties if someone was so willing to pursue. Edit: consumer stores who play music in public pay to do so. I'm sure this would be a limited situation, but I'm asking out of curiosity.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
The performance of the recorded music likely falls under the non-commercial/charitable exemption; no entrance charge, no charge to hear, etc.
If it is performed by loudspeakers, it seems to fall within the exemption. If it is transmitted by short-range radio, it is less clear; the limited range may keep it from being a "transmission to the public". 17 USC §110(4)

ddrueding

Fixture
Went well. Set up in ~60 man-hours. Torn down in about 6. Run for about 1. Not the best ratio, but we were awfully popular with the few thousand spectators.

Handruin

Administrator
I bought it from Amazon for $0.99. I'm pretty sure it's ok. ;)

Went well. Set up in ~60 man-hours. Torn down in about 6. Run for about 1. Not the best ratio, but we were awfully popular with the few thousand spectators.

I never meant to suggest you obtained the song illegally. I was mostly curious what the legal view was on publicly playing the music. sdbardwick clarified it for me and I learned something. :) Thanks sdbardwick!

Sounds like a fun and successful event. Are you going to one-up it for next year?

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup. The boss liked it and I was told to "continue building inventory". So I'll be buying more lights in January. I'm still trying to figure out how to go bigger; even this equipment required a special permit, we were clearing power lines by inches, and needed people walking both sides to make sure we didn't run over children in the corners. Perhaps an Excavator or a Scraper?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks guys for the birthday wishes! And thanks CityK for the birthday gift! The #7 train in the beginning, and the shot of Queensboro Plaza 50 seconds in, is definitely on my list of NYC experiences-I've ridden that line literally hundreds of times, if not more. Really, anything subway is quintessential NYC. And Rockefeller Center is one of my favorite places this time of year. In fact, they just lit a tree there today in honor of my birthday! :-D

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Build analyze 53, Dan and Marco rail against consumerism leading to crappy products. Love it.