Something Random

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
That sounds like a potential fire hazard. Where are the pictures?
20120624_175209.jpg

We finished the basic structure, but the stairs around the corner need a bit of support added. I don't think there will be a fire hazard. The wood burning stove is used about 3 times a year and there is quite a bit of clearance.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't know what a top gear is but actual lady (including stripper) feedback indicates that my car makes them more interested my wang.

Any girl that's more interested in my wang because of any car I might own is not worth my time having a serious relationship with. I hope your lady friends and stripper work out for you in that regard.

Handruin

Administrator
So I found out today an electric leafblower works pretty well for drying a car after washing it. It definitely cuts down on the amount of toweling necessary. Earplugs are a must though.

That had to have been a bizarre sight to see in the neighborhood. I would have been worried it might kick up tons of dust in the process of drying.

ddrueding

Fixture
Kicking up dust wouldn't worry me as much as sand or the like being sucked in and launched at the car. My technique was always a fast lap around the block; the leaf blower sounds more legal.

I suspect that a shop vac in reverse would be able to use the filter to prevent particulates from hitting the car, just wash your driveway first to avoid Handruin's dust problem.

ddrueding

Fixture
I think the simplest solution would be to build a high-speed wind tunnel in the garage, and a turntable for the car to make sure all angles are covered.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Any girl that's more interested in my wang because of any car I might own is not worth my time having a serious relationship with. I hope your lady friends and stripper work out for you in that regard.

I think that was sarcasm.

Stereodude

Not really a
Kicking up dust wouldn't worry me as much as sand or the like being sucked in and launched at the car.
:erm: Sand and dirt particles that are just hovering in the air several feet off the ground waiting to be sucked in and blown at the car? That seems quite unlikely to me.

Handruin

Administrator
There is a disproportionate amount of people who are drunk compared to those who got fired.

LunarMist

As compared to brilliant people on facebook? :D

Nobody should post anything negative about their superiors. Perhaps there is lack of intelligence in addition to PUI.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I just read that folks in Queensland and Victoria states in Australia aren't allowed to swear in public!?! Are you fucking kidding me? Are Aussies now just as stuck as British? So now we'll have to call people from Melbourne the "polite Mexicans" or what? Forbidding an Aussie from swearing is like removing a part of his identity. Right of swearing should be one of your main birthrights. This is wrong.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Unfortunately that's correct. However I don't know of anyone personally fined for such an act.

I guess it could would only be enforced in the case of a public disturbance, and not common talk down at the local watering hole.

PS. Consumption of alcohol in public or on government property is also illegal here as well... (AU$100 on the spot fine) Yep, that's right, having a glass of wine with your picnic lunch is also illegal if done at the local park, national park or at the beach :frowner: Source: http://www.olgr.qld.gov.au/consumers/alcoholInpublic/index.shtml

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I don't get this, can anyone understand our "data retention" policy? Email that doesn't require followup, delete after 30 days old and email that did require ack or followup is delete after 1 year. That's what they are telling us to do, I have no idea what they are doing on the back end, if they are doing something. This is a pretty big company and I would think they are aware of business ediscovery and mail retention requirements so they are likely doing something at the email server level, my question is why tell me I can't keep it?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't get this, can anyone understand our "data retention" policy? Email that doesn't require followup, delete after 30 days old and email that did require ack or followup is delete after 1 year. That's what they are telling us to do, I have no idea what they are doing on the back end, if they are doing something. This is a pretty big company and I would think they are aware of business ediscovery and mail retention requirements so they are likely doing something at the email server level, my question is why tell me I can't keep it?

If the company keeps it, then they have to manage its retention and make it available on request for legal matters. If they say "It's our policy to delete email", then they don't have to deal with the expense and probable damage associated with discovery of pertinent information contained therein.

ddrueding

Fixture
Hmm, I didn't realize they had a choice in the matter.

Yup. The cheapest thing you can do is delete everything as quickly as possible. That way when you are asked you can just say you don't have it. Some ISPs used to have this as a selling point, but there are many laws in many countries requiring they keep logs.

Mercutio

This is one of those weeks when absolutely nothing is going to happen at work. If a national holiday falls on a Wednesday, they might as well call the whole week off. I have three classes scheduled this week and at the moment only one person has told me that they are coming to each of them.

LunarMist

This is one of those weeks when absolutely nothing is going to happen at work. If a national holiday falls on a Wednesday, they might as well call the whole week off. I have three classes scheduled this week and at the moment only one person has told me that they are coming to each of them.

Many people are on PTO this week, but the rest of the world isn't slowing down and timelines always need to be met. Most of the usual teleconferences have been shifted to Tues or Thurs.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Oh sure, now that you are a Fixture.

At one point I thought I would achieve that, but not so much now.
You think you're gonna die before you can make another thousand posts or so? You do more than this each year. If you're sick to the point that you believe you won't live another year, what the Hell are you doing still working?

LunarMist

You think you're gonna die before you can make another thousand posts or so? You do more than this each year. If you're sick to the point that you believe you won't live another year, what the Hell are you doing still working?

Not really, but my interest is waning. Maybe I'll post about my recent computer problems. :crap:

LunarMist

I don't think anything can be done, at least not simply or directly.

LunarMist

You mean more so? ;)

Most of the time I'm leery of saying anything controversial or providing potentially PII since I assume somebody or machine is reading everything.

Mercutio

Not really, but my interest is waning.

To be honest, computer stuff is kind of boring right now. Hardware is at this ridiculous science fiction point where even the cheap stuff is generally pretty awesome, and the high end is simultaneously vast overkill and and legitimately affordable. We're really just left to be annoyed about software.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Most of the time I'm leery of saying anything controversial or providing potentially PII since I assume somebody or machine is reading everything.

I also try very hard not to post anything even remotely controversial for the same reasons. Those people terrify me.

LunarMist

To be honest, computer stuff is kind of boring right now. Hardware is at this ridiculous science fiction point where even the cheap stuff is generally pretty awesome, and the high end is simultaneously vast overkill and and legitimately affordable. We're really just left to be annoyed about software.

My computers are screwed up, usually hardenware, drivers or something not compatible. My mainboard should be exterminated.

Stereodude

Not really a
I made the mistake of driving to a burb of Chicago today. What's with all the crappy toll roads that are under construction with a 45MPH construction speed limit (55MPH speed limit regularly). I spent $6 on tolls. :cursin:

The only plus about this trip is going to be stopping at a few firework stores on the way back to MI tomorrow afternoon. Although the good fireworks are now legal to sell in MI now, so even that's watered down.