Something Random

Stereodude

Not really a
Which suburb?
St. Charles... I don't think I've ever seen a road as screwed up as IL64. Major intersections where the lights are out and small non-obvious stop signs off to the side. Minor intersections where there's a working light. What the heck...

Any suggestions for a fireworks shop? It looks like there are quite a few on Indianapolis Blvd off I-80/I-94.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well SD, you're pretty much driving right by my apartment and my office.
There's a giant red barn-thing that's just off the US20 Burns Harbor exit on 80-94 that is by far the biggest fireworks store in our little corner of Indiana. The places by the state line are actually priced a little higher just because of proximity to Illinois.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well SD, you're pretty much driving right by my apartment and my office.
I'll wave as I drive by.

There's a giant red barn-thing that's just off the US20 Burns Harbor exit on 80-94 that is by far the biggest fireworks store in our little corner of Indiana. The places by the state line are actually priced a little higher just because of proximity to Illinois.
Shelton Fireworks? Seems there's no consensus on whether any of these stores are good or not.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
St. Charles... I don't think I've ever seen a road as screwed up as IL64...

Are you speaking about I94? Because the only I64 I can find is between Charleston, West Virginia and St-Louis, Missouri. Quite a detour from Michigan to Illinois.

It's quite possible I missed it though, as I'm not familiar at all with that area.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
St. Charles... I don't think I've ever seen a road as screwed up as IL64. Major intersections where the lights are out and small non-obvious stop signs off to the side. Minor intersections where there's a working light. What the heck...

I don't think I've ever driven on that road or been to St. Charles. I try to avoid driving places, it just induces anger.

ddrueding

Fixture
One of my boss' favorite local charities is selling fireworks as a fundraiser. He is offering to subsidize a chunk of any purchases made there. I'm tempted to go big.

Stereodude

Not really a
Fireworks are legal to use in California? Like the good kind that leave the ground and/or explode?

That would seems very uncharacteristic of them. Think of all the pollution. :rofl:

Mercutio

Shelton Fireworks? Seems there's no consensus on whether any of these stores are good or not.

I have no idea. My students say the places in Hammond tend to be priced higher. Personally I think letting off Fireworks anywhere near other people should be grounds for summary execution.
But whatever. There are definitely two giant warehouse stores at Burns Harbor.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Fireworks are legal to use in California? Like the good kind that leave the ground and/or explode?

That would seems very uncharacteristic of them. Think of all the pollution. :rofl:

No, it's not about the air. Fireworks were banned in the large southland cities like LA around 50 years ago. They cause fires (not good in the dry summer months), personal injury, and death in some cases.

LunarMist

Pretty much everything cool and/or fun does.

Only if you are intent on being irresponsible. There are plenty of healthy, fun and interesting activites that have low risk factors. Amateurs and incendiaries don't mix well.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, I went to 4 different firework stores in Indiana on the way home. The best prices on what I looking at (bottle rockets) were cheapest at Big Daddy K's. For example, a gross of Black Cat bottle rockets was $3.50 there. At Johnny Rockets they were 2 for $10 or 4 for $18. At Krazy Kaplan's they were $9.95 for two (BOGO). Shelton Fireworks only sells their own brands with their various bottle rockets $3.89 - $5.99 a gross. I didn't pay too much attention to all the different items, but the pricing seemed to hold for other items at the different stores. There were a few exceptions for specials though. As an example, Krazy Kaplan's had their store brand bottle rockets 3 gross for $4.95.

Stereodude

Not really a
Apparently there are lots of power failures from some big storms that came through on Sunday. That's why some of the traffic lights were out. They were still out when I drove home in the afternoon.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Apparently there are lots of power failures from some big storms that came through on Sunday. That's why some of the traffic lights were out. They were still out when I drove home in the afternoon.

Yeah, some of my coworkers who live in the west suburbs said their power was out.

LunarMist

Yeah, some of my coworkers who live in the west suburbs said their power was out.

It seems like last weekend the power was out all over. The facility near Cincinnati lost power during production and all was lost. :crap:
I know some people in Virginia who had no power for three days and there were power outages in PA as well. I have to go there next week. :(

Mercutio

I find it endlessly amusing that an instance of Vista running on VMware Workstation on my T420 has a Windows Experience Index score of 5.7 out of 5.9. And it has three 5.9 subscores. That's some fine emulatin'.

LunarMist

WTF is the value of the Windows Experience? I can't fund that option, but I don't have Vista.

Mercutio

It's pretty close to zero, except as a stupid penis-measurement tool. The funny bit is seeing scores THAT ridiculous on a virtual computer in the first place. If nothing else, there's no way that number has any real meaning if it's associated with the actual video hardware in that computer.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've found the Windows Experience Index to matter on scores between 4 and 6. Above that it doesn't matter, and below that they system is unusable.

LunarMist

I've found the Windows Experience Index to matter on scores between 4 and 6. Above that it doesn't matter, and below that they system is unusable.

Apparently my computer is too old to have a Windows Experience. :( I think it it still pretty fast with the hexagonal-cored O/C CPU, 24GB and three SSDs. Maybe I don't know what experience it is missing.

LunarMist

Thanks, but 10K was the challenge. Maybe I can get a 10% discount. :lol:

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Had my last exam today for this semester at Uni... Basically blew the exam... used the wrong formula on the Reinforcement Learning questions
Well, I got all my grades for last semester, and apparently either I didn't blow the exam, or I had a marker who wasn't paying attention, as I managed a grade of 90% overall in Computational Intelligence and Embedded System... (A High Distinction). Also got High Distinctions for all my other classes, so am happy with last semesters result.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Congratulations Chewy. I certainly wouldn't have enough motivation to go back to school again. If your universities are more or less like ours, earning a mark in the nineties is quite a feat.

Mercutio

I believe I've read that the average grade at a US university is now an A. College in the US is now most the a testimony to the fact that someone was willing to pay $10,000 a year to an institution for long enough to be granted a degree.

Credential inflation really, really pisses me off.
But congratulations to Chewy and Lunar both! :)

re: Experience Index. On Vista, 5.9 is the highest score. It primarily represents the ability of a system to play computer games. Which my virtual Vista computer that lives on two cores of an i7 must be AWESOME at.

LunarMist

What kind of horses**t is an Oxygen bar? Why are seemingly normal people suddenly in need of oxygen, like it is a drug? Maybe they all are suffering from CHF.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
What kind of horses**t is an Oxygen bar? Why are seemingly normal people suddenly in need of oxygen, like it is a drug? Maybe they all are suffering from CHF.

Did you know that with the increase of other gases in the atmosphere, that oxygen levels are dropping!!! Source: http://jeb.biologists.org/content/201/8/1043.full.pdf We need to breath oxygen to become whole again!!!

But really, someone come up with a stupid idea (that unfortunately does have some science behind it**), and yuppies (or whatever you want to call them) are throwing money at these 'bars' to get on a self-induced feel-good high.

** Increased oxygen levels has shown to improve recovery performance after strenious activity, however this research is on elite athletes or people who may perform at similar levels over extended periods (eg Special Forces, Ultra-marathon runners, etc).

Mercutio

You know you have too many Android tablets when you decide that one of them is going to be dedicated for reading in the bathtub.