Something Random

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I had to wake up this morning and turn on the heater...45F (7.2C) outside, and only 59F inside!
45F is called Spring here. It's now 38F and I took an half-hour walk outside in T-shirt. My patio door is wide open and the little breeze is refreshing.

What's your problem with a warm 45F?

Handruin

Administrator
You live in the north pole Coug...I'd consider your weather spring if I lived there too. Say hi to Santa for me. Spring for me is 50-65F. However, I will still go running outside in shorts up to about 40F.

ddrueding

Fixture
I leave all the windows and patio doors open from 11AM until about 6PM. Temperature range is 62F to 72F and back down. As soon as it's below 62F I close the doors and windows, at which point the computers and lights keep it around 65-68F.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
5 Minute Management Course:

Lesson 1:

A man is getting into the shower just as his wife is finishing up her shower, when the doorbell rings. The wife quickly wraps herself in a towel and runs downstairs. When she opens the door, there stands Bob, the next-door neighbor. Before she says a word, Bob says, "I'll give you $800 to drop that towel." After thinking for a moment, the woman drops her towel and stands naked in front of Bob. After a few seconds, Bob hands her $800 and leaves. The woman wraps back up in the towel and goes back upstairs. When she gets to the bathroom, her husband asks, "Who was that?" "It was Bob the next door neighbor," she replies. "Great!" the husband says, "did he say anything about the $800 he owes me?"

Moral of the story: If you share critical information pertaining to credit and risk with your shareholders in time, you may be in a position to prevent avoidable exposure

Lesson 2:

A priest offered a Nun a lift. She got in and crossed her legs, forcing her gown to reveal a leg. The priest nearly had an accident. After controlling the car, he stealthily slid his hand up her leg. The nun said, "Father, remember Psalm 129?" The priest removed his hand. But, changing gears, he let his hand slide up her leg again. The nun once again said, "Father, remember Psalm 129?" The priest apologized "Sorry sister but the flesh is weak." Arriving at the convent, the nun sighed heavily and went on her way. On his arrival at the church, the priest rushed to look up Psalm 129. It said, "Go forth and seek, further up, you will find glory."

Moral of the story: If you are not well informed in your job, you might miss a great opportunity

Lesson 3:

A sales rep, an administration clerk, and the manager are walking to lunch when they find an antique oil lamp. They rub it and a Genie comes out. The Genie says, "I'll give each of you just one wish." "Me first! Me first!" says the admin clerk. "I want to be in the Bahamas , driving a speedboat, without a care in the world." Puff! She's gone. "Me next! Me next!" says the sales rep. "I want to be in Hawaii , relaxing on the beach with my personal masseuse, an endless supply of Pina Coladas and the love of my life." Puff! He's gone. "OK, you're up," the Genie says to the manager. The manager says, "I want those two back in the office after lunch."

Moral of the story: Always let your boss have the first say

Lesson 4

An eagle was sitting on a tree resting, doing nothing. A small rabbit saw the eagle and asked him, "Can I also sit like you and do nothing?" The eagle answered: "Sure, why not." So, the rabbit sat on the ground below the eagle and rested. All of a sudden, a fox appeared, jumped on the rabbit and ate it.

Moral of the story: To be sitting and doing nothing, you must be sitting very, very high up.

Lesson 5

A turkey was chatting with a bull. "I would love to be able to get to the top of that tree," sighed the turkey, "but I haven't got the energy." "Well, why don't you nibble on some of my droppings?" replied the bull. They're packed with nutrients." The turkey pecked at a lump of dung, and found it actually gave him enough strength to reach the lowest branch of the tree. The next day, after eating some more dung, he reached the second branch. Finally after a fourth night, the turkey was proudly perched at the top of the tree He was promptly spotted by a farmer, who shot him out of the tree.

Moral of the story: Bulls%^t might get you to the top, but it won't keep you there.

Lesson 6

A little bird was flying south for the winter. It was so cold the bird froze and fell to the ground into a large field. While he was lying there, a cow came by and dropped some dung on him. As the frozen bird lay there in the pile of cow dung, he began to realize how warm he was. The dung was actually thawing him but! He lay there all warm and happy, and soon began to sing for joy. A passing cat heard the bird singing and came to investigate. Following the sound, the cat discovered the bird under the pile of cow dung, and promptly dug him out and ate him.

Moral of the story:
(1) Not everyone who s%^ts on you is your enemy
(2) Not everyone who gets you out of s%^t is your friend
(3) And when you're in deep s%^t, it's best to keep your mouth shut!

This ends the 5-minute management course.

Handruin

Administrator
:-D
su_doku.jpg

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Today I was asked if I would be willing to drive to a customer site to clean, as in scrub and dust, their servers. I thought they were maybe talking about fans and air filters, but, no, they just don't want to touch the computers in their rack and they are offended by the thin layer of dust on equipment in a room they never look in, anyway.

ddrueding

Fixture
I never take home left-overs from restaurants for this reason; they always become science experiments. I also only try to keep a few items in the fridge, that way nothing is forgotten for too long.

This would be a good use for the LCD-screened refrigerators; forget building a shopping list, I want mine to give countdowns on what is in there:

"The mashed potatoes have 3 days remaining, eat up."

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
There are four guys living in my house and everybody cooks and cooks generous portions. That's a lot of leftovers.

Mercutio

Let's put it this way: I found a half gallon of milk with a September 2005 expiration date.
It was pushed in the back of the fridge so it was completely frozen, so I didn't have to figure out exactly how spoiled it was. That's still pretty bad.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Let's put it this way: I found a half gallon of milk with a September 2005 expiration date.
It was pushed in the back of the fridge so it was completely frozen, so I didn't have to figure out exactly how spoiled it was. That's still pretty bad.

What??? No mystery meat? ;-)

Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

What??? No mystery meat?

No mystery meat.
But my vegetable crispers were filled with something that was well on its way to being petroleum.

Why is it that each and every time I visit a personals web site I feel like slitting my wrists?

paugie

Storage is cool
my wife does the fridge clean-up for me. we used to have househelp but the last one we had (who lived with us for 8 years) decided last December to get married.

It's so nice, you know, when the kids have their own lives, to wake up in the morning and turn the PC on (ok, we're now staying in my sister's house since she left for Canada) and after half an hour, the wife comes and asks, "Are you having juice or coffee for breakfast?"

Speaking of which, the first modification I did since moving over here was to call the cable internet company. It's not that fast, maybe 150kBps tops but it costs $20/month.

You'd prolly say that's too much!

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Mercutio said:
Why is it that each and every time I visit a personals web site I feel like slitting my wrists?

Because you are a masochist? Perhaps you should avoid viewing the personals sites. :)

Mercutio

Because you are a masochist? Perhaps you should avoid viewing the personals sites. :)

Because there really isn't any other hope for me to find real-life companionship, LM. There are 101 rants wrapped up in this, but it is very important to me to have that experience.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Oh, Mercutio .; - you must change trhe behaviour! Become involvo in some activities with groups of people having same ineterstes. Not all the "comic book guy" activuites either. Make some compromises and make some miskates. World and humans be nmot perfect. ;)

Mercutio

Oh, Mercutio - you must change the behavior! Become involved in some activities with groups of people having same interests.

My working life in combination with my particular set of interests and social dysfunctions, make doing anything like that pretty much impossible.
I work odd hours. I like solitary activities. I don't drink. I don't care for sports or crowds or popular music or being outdoors. I don't speak to strange people and in fact "painfully shy" is a good description of me.

A gathering of people with similar interests to mine would probably be sparsely attended and very quiet.

Sol

Storage is cool
Mercutio, I took up target shooting as a social(ish) activity that wasn't overly sporting, didn't require a huge commitment and didn't involve large crowds or popular music (Admittedly this wasn't a primary concern but since I was living in a small country town at the time and popular meant country and western it was by no means a downside...)

I really enjoy it, and have gotten to meet a few different people, surprisingly few of whom were particularly strange. I don't know weather it'd be something that would interest you at all but the point is that maybe thinking outside the box about activities you could see your self doing that maybe most people wouldn't consider as regular social activities might lead you to something new you could enjoy, and maybe meet people doing.

Mercutio

That was a google April Fool's joke about four years ago, Lost6200.

So, anyway, this week's Newsweek Magazine shows something even more disturbing than usual about the US population:

This is the article about the study in question

48% of COLLEGE GRADUATES do not accept the theory of evolution.
91% of USians believe in an invisible sky wizard.
34% of USians believe the biblical account of creation (you know, the one that's two different stories of how woman came to be on PAGE ONE of the book... the bible can't even manage to be consistent for two whole paragraphs).

Little wonder the rest of the world thinks we're a bunch of undereducated fanatics.

Handruin

Administrator
And things are some much better elsewhere how?

The NEWSWEEK Poll, conducted March 28-March 29, has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points for questions based on all registered voters and plus or minus 6 percentage points for results based on registered Republicans and Republican leaners. In conducting the poll, Princeton Survey Research Associates International interviewed 1,004 adults aged 18 and older

What areas did they poll? What demographics? I don't believe 1000 people represent the belief of 300,000,000 (minus a few for those below the age of 18). The poll is useless other than to support propaganda.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Judging by the some of the recent grads I've talked to, I don't think any of them even know what evolution is.

Bozo :joker:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio, I took up target shooting as a social(ish) activity that wasn't overly sporting, didn't require a huge commitment and didn't involve large crowds or popular music (Admittedly this wasn't a primary concern but since I was living in a small country town at the time and popular meant country and western it was by no means a downside...)

I really enjoy it, and have gotten to meet a few different people, surprisingly few of whom were particularly strange. I don't know weather it'd be something that would interest you at all but the point is that maybe thinking outside the box about activities you could see your self doing that maybe most people wouldn't consider as regular social activities might lead you to something new you could enjoy, and maybe meet people doing.

I would have to second target shooting as a very relaxing sport. It hones the mind, and yet allows you to meet new people. You compete only with yourself. Several of my best friends were met thru the pistol club.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'll third (?) target shooting. I actually had some great interactions with females because of it. Started as them saying "What is a sensitive guy like you doing with horrible guns?" and ended with them going to the range with me ;)

Mercutio

Pradeep and Sol - not a big fan of guns. More particularly, I'm not a big fan of the sort of person who is a big fan of guns in the USA. It's one thing to talk about sport shooting with a gun you keep at the range, or hunting for something you'll actually eat, but the minute you start to oppose sensible things like banning semi-automatics, or gun locks, or background checks, or demanding concealed carry rights, you're well off into wing-nut land, and that's exactly the rhetoric that comes from the NRA. Those are people who frighten me.

Sadly, where I live, I'm surrounded by them.